IGNORED

Plastic Throttle Body Pulley

MoosieToo

Hi All, This is my first post.

Went for a ride on Monday with friends and one has a 2009 R1200RT with 50+K. Pulling onto the freeway at a onramp and accelerating in 70mph traffic, his bike suddenly goes dead and he is able to get to the shoulder and off the roadway after almost getting hit. We back tracked to his location and his bike would start and idle but as soon as you touched the throttle it would stall.

Well we had no idea and after his tow home and upon further investigation he found this. A broken left Throttle Body Pulley for the throttle cable. The pulley is made of plastic. Very dangerous situation. So on your next service be sure and check that plastic pulley for cracks.

Yes, it's been a common issue for some years now.

Previously the fix has been to buy new or used throttle bodies.

BUT Bing has replacement throttle shafts with pullys attached now .

Bingcarburetors.com they are in Kansas.

Thanks Tri750,

He just ordered from Bing a couple of days ago.

Glad they started making replacement parts available.

It's in my Favorites..

Beemer Bits ( beemerbits.com) has a CNC machined throttle body cam kit available for $450.

You get 2 cams, enought for one motorcycle.

A little drilling is needed to install the provided pins; However, if you feel squeamish about the drilling, Beemer Bits will install for an additional $145.

http://www.beemerbits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_151&products_id=745

Edited by GroceryRun
Beemer Bits ( beemerbits.com) has a CNC machined throttle body cam kit available for $450.

A little drilling is needed to install the provided pins; However, if you feel squeamish about the drilling, Beemer Bits will install for an additional $145.

That's pricey.

Mine broke too. I put in a complaint with the fed agency. I wasn't the first. This is a known problem. I found a pair of throttle bodies off of a salvage bike with lower miles than mine and bought them for $235. Came with the splitter box and the whole FI setup and sensors. The only other thing I needed with it was a low profile oetiker clamp plier. That was $30. It's been fine since. Thing about replacing the shafts, I wonder how that affects the factory set stop screw that we're never supposed to mess with?

That's pricey.

Mine broke too. I put in a complaint with the fed agency. I wasn't the first. This is a known problem. I found a pair of throttle bodies off of a salvage bike with lower miles than mine and bought them for $235. Came with the splitter box and the whole FI setup and sensors. The only other thing I needed with it was a low profile oetiker clamp plier. That was $30. It's been fine since. Thing about replacing the shafts, I wonder how that affects the factory set stop screw that we're never supposed to mess with?

Morning Ponch

Replacing the shafts will definitely effect the factory-set base idle stop screw adjustment (no way around that).

There are a couple of work-arounds to get them back close but none are easy or fluid.

My guess is that most just install the shafts then live with the mis-adjusted idle stop screws & the related throttling issues.

This might be the youtube video for installing the Beemer Bits CNC throttle body cam kit -

titled "BMW Broken Throttle Cam Fix"

Edited by GroceryRun
This might be the youtube video for installing the Beemer Bits CNC throttle body cam kit -

titled "BMW Broken Throttle Cam Fix"

The metal pulley is the A answer, it's just expensive. If mine break again, I'll consider it for sure. I still have the old TBs, so I'd just fix those and swap. Seems more and more people are seeing this and I've heard it's more prevalent on authority bikes. I think the heat of AZ contributed to it.

Maybe a new update concerning the OEM plastic bits.

A forum member on the bmwmoa.org had the plastic bits replaced by BMW , and it seems to be "non plastic" now.

Maybe if BMW has the new non-plastic pulley, Bing would have them also.

Very well known issue with my mechanic here in the southwest. Mine were both just replaced under extended warranty, one was cracked, the other basically fell apart when he opened the unit up to check them before I head out to Ak and during it's 12K service. So well known in fact, he mentioned he'd check them for cracks when I made the appt for service.

The black throttle bodies are hard to get for my triple black right now, but he put a pair from another bike on mine that only had 1K miles on them and will have my new upgraded ones in by the time I return, then swap them back out once again. The upgraded ones are no longer plastic so once they are swapped out I'll never have this "plastic" throttle body issue again.

Price, like the OP, was close to 1400.00 with labor [ and warranty paid for them ].. Something like 600.00 a piece just for the parts.

bmwmoa.org forum link - Broken Throttle Body Pulleys

Edited by GroceryRun

This isn't something ANY owner should have to deal with. It is piss poor design and never should have made it into production to use plastic where metal was previously required. (probably saved 10c and caused huge problems.)

Along with this defect is the stupid right angle plastic gas fittings on the gas tank mounts.

1150's had stainless steel. If you break one, ( I have 3 broken ones in shop now) you are out of business until you get some thing to replace it.

A chain us only as strong as it's weakest link and here are two prime examples of crappy designs. These were better on previous models, how can a manufacturer upgrade to garbage on newer models?

Lone_RT_rider
These were better on previous models, how can a manufacturer upgrade to garbage on newer models?

There are two things in vehicle design that will always cause engineers and program managers to try and navigate risk.

1. Reduced cost: every penny makes a difference. Of course the amount of vehicles per year (EAU) drives that cost benefit analysis, but don't think on a car platform of 800,000 EAU such as the Ford F150 that people aren't sweating a new design that saves 1.7 cents and trying to "make it work".

2. Weight: This is especially true with smaller and lighter vehicles (sound familiar?). Every gram counts. There are weight reduction targets for every program. Don't think there isn't pressure to save weight wherever you can, no matter what manufacturer you work for. Yes, even the people that make Military grade vehicles worry about weight at some level.

This criteria drives a lot of decisions to navigate risk by doing testing that is supposed to represent long term durability on the vehicle. Most of the time it works, sometimes it does not.

Shawn