IGNORED

1100rt starting issues

wqbusch

Bike can have a full charge on battery and bike turns over slowly sometimes starting sometimes not. After not starting go out next day and it starts. Sometimes setting off abs sometimes not. Battery is at 12.7 volts.

12.7 seems close to borderline - how old is the battery? Put a DVM on it and watch the voltage when you turn the key ON, and then when you press the starter button. You may just have a battery ready for replacement. Possible you have a problem with the starter. There are instructions on pulling it off and cleaning it, but it could also have loose magnets - a common problem with Valeo starters from back then.

Battery is only a few months old. The part I don't get is the battery stops turning bike over like it has died. Come back out next day battery is at 12.7 and it starts. And I didn't charge it.

Bike can have a full charge on battery and bike turns over slowly sometimes starting sometimes not. After not starting go out next day and it starts. Sometimes setting off abs sometimes not. Battery is at 12.7 volts.

Morning wqbusch

As Michael mentioned you need to measure the battery voltage during engine cranking (when the problem is present is best) if below 10.5 volts cranking then you have some sort of issue, either a battery issue, a battery charge issue, or starter issue, or engine issue.

If the battery voltage is OK during engine cranking then next move is to do a cranking voltage-drop-test on the battery's (+) post to the starter big (+) stud & from battery's (-) post to the starter housing or engine block.

If cranking voltage is OK, & voltage drop is OK, then possibly a starter issue -- if your starter is original then it's a possibility that a field magnet is coming loose (they are glued in & not uncommon to come loose) or a worn bushing, or even an internal part or shield has come loose effecting starter operation.

Well I gave up and called a mechanic. He came and trouble shot it and determined it was the starter. He ordered it it came yesterday and I put it in and that was it. As it turned out the starter was drawing too much current. The ground to the battery got very warm after turning bike over a few times in a row. So nice to hit the start button and it fires right up. Thanks for all your advice.