IGNORED

R1100 transmission rebuild questions

Jim Moore

Hi Guys,

I'm rebuilding an R1100 transmission. (I seem to be doing that a lot lately!) I've done it before, but I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do a few things. First, How do I keep the shims in place as I'm putting the lid on the tranny? I'm seriously considering super-gluing them to the inside of the lid. I'm open to suggestions though. Would a dab of axle grease make them stick in place?

Similar question for the pins on the shift drum and the rollers on the shift forks. I can't super glue those obviously, but what's the best way to keep them in place as I'm installing them?

Also, the book talks about "preloading the arm of stop lever spring." How do I do that? Do I just push it in until the cover fits over it?

Thanks,

Jim Moore

beemerman2k

Can't answer your question, but I am posing another: having suffered a spline fail at 70k miles on my R1100RT, I was told there was a product out there that replaced the part the input shaft connects with and this part won't strip like the stock BMW part does. Were i to take a part my transmission, I'd want to install this part so as not to hasten another occasion where I have to do this again.

Is anyone aware of this after market spline for R1100 engines?

There is a company that makes a modified clutch hub for the six-speed transmission, but I've never heard of one for the 5-speed.

As a note, if you decide to do the repair yourself I have an input shaft (bearings and all) I'll sell you for $110 shipped. I have parts from a few different transmissions sitting in the garage.

Hi Guys,

I'm rebuilding an R1100 transmission. (I seem to be doing that a lot lately!) I've done it before, but I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do a few things. First, How do I keep the shims in place as I'm putting the lid on the tranny? I'm seriously considering super-gluing them to the inside of the lid. I'm open to suggestions though. Would a dab of axle grease make them stick in place?

Similar question for the pins on the shift drum and the rollers on the shift forks. I can't super glue those obviously, but what's the best way to keep them in place as I'm installing them?

Also, the book talks about "preloading the arm of stop lever spring." How do I do that? Do I just push it in until the cover fits over it?

Thanks,

Jim Moore

Morning Jim

I usually use a sticky assembly grease. For an assembly grease to work properly holding thrust washers & pins in place the parts must be oil free as any oil wont allow the grease to stick & hold (I clean the areas with brake clean then dry before using the sticky grease).

Thanks DR. Can I get that at the local auto parts store?

Morning Jim

I would assume so, the stuff I use I have had for years (from back in the early 60's when I did a lot of Power Glide & Jetaway trans work.