BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#10166 - 05/24/05 05:27 PM Re: R1150RT Evo-brake bleed Part II: The Control Circuits! [Re: John Moylan]  
Blue Beemer Dude Offline
Blue Beemer Dude  Offline

Cary, NC, USA, Earth
If you are referring to the spacers that you put into the calipers...

I went to a lot of trouble to make exact replicas of the spacers for the bleed. I also used "speed bleeders" which allowed me to quickly do the wheel circuits without the usual open, squeeze, close, release that one does with standard bleeding. They also prevent any significant pressure to press in the pads, so they (the pads) never moved and the spacers were just a waste of time. I think the only reason that they are recommended is to have the least amount of brake fluid trapped in the calipers. If you just use moderate pressure to bleed the system even without the speedbleeders, I think you'll be OK without them.

Assuming, of course, that I'm understanding your question properly...

HTH,

Michael

Yeah... sold the blue one for an Orange one.

Current ride: 2008 R1200GS
formerly a couple of RTs, a GT and an RS, maybe an LT (although I'll deny it) and an R
Obligatory cage: 335i coupé
#10167 - 05/24/05 10:18 PM Re: R1150RT Evo-brake bleed Part II: The Control Circuits! [Re: Blue Beemer Dude]  
John Moylan Offline
John Moylan  Offline

Galway, Ireland
Thanks Micheal. I'm just wondering if, with pistons spread apart with the spec tool, I can just bleed as normal ? - I don't want to damage the tool. I don't know how strong those pumps really are.........

Is it a case that you're supposed to spread the pistons, drop in the spacers, and then bleed up against the spacers? The pics in the factory book are next to useless....

John M Co. Galway, Ireland 05 Road King Custom.....Loud Pipes Sell Tylenol! 02 R1150RT...like Elvis, has left the building.. 02 Aprilia Atlantic 500...nope, still here !
#10168 - 05/24/05 10:22 PM Re: R1150RT Evo-brake bleed Part II: The Control Circuits! [Re: John Moylan]  
steveknapp Offline
steveknapp  Offline

Grayslake, IL, USA
I didn't use the special tool. I used some wooden shims. When you bleed you open the bleed screw and the pressure is pretty low on the caliper. The self test or the pressure you exert before opening the bleed screw is probably higher, but honestly I didn't think it was that much. Now if you closed the bleed screw and crakened down on the brakes, I could see there being problems. Don't do that.

The idea is to push the pistons back to get the fluid out. But also I think they want the pistons in a fixed/known location when you top-up the fluid. I don't think there is any real rocket science here.

You can't "bleed like normal" ever. You probably know this. But just to clarify. There is no way fluid you pour into the lever end is going to come out the caliper end.

I love the smell of Plexus in the morning!
#10169 - 05/25/05 11:35 PM Re: R1150RT Evo-brake bleed Part II: The Control Circuits! [Re: steveknapp]  
John Moylan Offline
John Moylan  Offline

Galway, Ireland
Quote:

..But just to clarify. There is no way fluid you pour into the lever end is going to come out the caliper end.

Gosh, I know that.....but it's been a while since the Tech Daze in GA, but the Aprilia has turned into my ride of choice so the RT is gathering dust..........

John M Co. Galway, Ireland 05 Road King Custom.....Loud Pipes Sell Tylenol! 02 R1150RT...like Elvis, has left the building.. 02 Aprilia Atlantic 500...nope, still here !
Page 2 of 2 1 2