IGNORED

Rear tire loses pressure

KSB

The rear tire on my 2016 R1200RT-LC loses pressure very slowly; it goes from 44psi to ~35 psi overnight and then stays at that pressure.

It developed a leak during my last trip and I had the leak plugged; can the plug re-seal itself when the pressure reduces to ~35 psi? The TPM tracks the pressure perfectly when riding and stops decreasing at ~ 35 psi. I use a valve stem cap at all times. The tire is a Michlean Road 5 with about 6K miles. A new tire is on-order, but I wanted to see if anyone has experienced a problem like this.

Thanks

Its possible as the air leaks out the tire shrinks and gets tighter around the plug. I would suggest airing it up to 44 and use soap and water to detect leak. I wouldn't stick my face right over that plug. If it is leaking, it might get ejected under force.

The rear tire on my 2016 R1200RT-LC loses pressure very slowly; it goes from 44psi to ~35 psi overnight and then stays at that pressure.

It developed a leak during my last trip and I had the leak plugged; can the plug re-seal itself when the pressure reduces to ~35 psi? The TPM tracks the pressure perfectly when riding and stops decreasing at ~ 35 psi. I use a valve stem cap at all times. The tire is a Michlean Road 5 with about 6K miles. A new tire is on-order, but I wanted to see if anyone has experienced a problem like this.

Thanks

Afternoon KSB

Usually when you get a slow leak only down to a certain pressure it is something in the tire ply area or a leak at the TPS sensor to rim area. It could even be porosity in the alloy rim. If the guy installing the plug didn't probe the hole correctly, or at the correct angle, then you could have air seeping between the plies.

Get a large deep plastic pan (cut down X-mas tree storage box works good) ) , just stick it under the rear wheel, then fill it with water, then watch (look for bubbles), rotate the wheel & watch some more (maybe put 50-55 psi in the tire for this test as your problem seems to be pressure related)