IGNORED

Amongst the many things I don't understand in life....

Twisties

Motorcycle covers....

I guess I get it if we are speaking of storing a bike outdoors... although the argument that they trap moisture may be relevant in some climates... but seriously, what on earth are people thinking covering their bike every night when they are on the road?

I mean, it's one more thing to carry, to deploy, to screw around with wet in the morning.... and I think maybe the bike gets more dirty riding than sitting a parking lot.

Lone_RT_rider
Motorcycle covers....

I guess I get it if we are speaking of storing a bike outdoors... although the argument that they trap moisture may be relevant in some climates... but seriously, what on earth are people thinking covering their bike every night when they are on the road?

I mean, it's one more thing to carry, to deploy, to screw around with wet in the morning.... and I think maybe the bike gets more dirty riding than sitting a parking lot.

For me, a full bike cover is the same as having to cover my Russell seat. So, if I am going to cover one, I cover the entire bike. :)

I've done close to 300k miles on BMW's and have never had a bike cover. Stayed in probably 100+ motels and hotels while in 49 states and 33 other countries. Wow, guess I'm very lucky. :dopeslap:

Motorcycle covers....

Afternoon Jan

I absolutely hate motorcycle covers unless they are the thin breathable indoor dust prevention storage type covers.

I could never figure out what the heck a rider is do with a soaking wet motorcycle cover in the early morning when traveling?

When I travel I try to find some cover for the night if possible (even close to a building can keep most of the dew off).

What I do is take is plastic garbage bags & a shower cap. I put the shower cap over my tank bag & place a garbage bag down over my windshield (unless a lot of bugs on windshield). If a lot of bugs then I let the heavy dew soften them up.

If I am riding off early morning (before sun) I will sometimes place another garbage bag on my seat with something on it to keep it in place.

Then I use the windshield cover garbage bag to gather my trash & toss that in a trash barrel. If I have no trash or use the 2nd bag on the seat I just stuff that under one of my luggage tie down straps until I ride far enough for it to dry off. If it is still damp I will sometimes turn it inside out & re-use it the next night.

I have used and worn out 3 light weight covers. Nelson Rigg UV 2000 model. I have removed them while it was still raining, shook them a bit and rolled them up into their bag. I have done that an forgot about them when I got home and 2 weeks later remembered them. Never had them sour or get moldy or anything. They pack very small and can be fastened outside the luggage. I have NEVER had anyone try to sit on my bike with a cover on it. I have without it. If covered I think there is less chance of someone messing with stuff on it. Then there is the days when I used to commute. I will take the sun shielding effects of a cover and the few seconds it takes to use them over the damage sun does over time!

And my bike is dry every morning when I head out!

a yep

2 sides both have merit.

Have a like new extra waterproofed and seam sealed Nelson Riggs that fits BMW baggers for sale...

I don't get them,.....bikes are stored in the garage at night, but while at work, they're in the elements. Doesn't matter if I get on a wet bike to ride, cause either my stitch or other riding pants will not let my walking clothes get wet and the wind will blow dry the bike,.......it's not a beauty contest, it's a mode of conveyance. My RT still shines (when I wash it, which is rare), my seat is still fine (I lube it) and my plastics are not faded....and this on a 12 year old RT that spends plenty of days in the sun, rain, cold and even snow. Even the HP4 has spent some of its days enjoying a nice thunderstorm or two.

I'm OCD with clean. Bikes always covered at night on the road. Bikes always covered in the garage. Garage is cleaned every week. Cars waxed

every month. I take wheels off to clean the backside 3 times a year and use wheel wax. I have a chemical dependency for cleaning products, if

it sprays, pours, brushes on I've tried it. I keep the house the same way. It's just me. Ya'll can do what you want.

I started using a cover when commuting on my previous bike. Parking in direct sun was causing fading of the instrument faces and some indicator lights. Decided I liked getting on a dry seat after a rainy afternoon. Later I was able to move to covered parking, but it was downwind of a lumber yard producing lots of sawdust, next to a dusty graveled parking area, and birds were nesting in the roof, so I continued using the cover.

Retired now, I mainly use the Nelson Rigg UV 2000 cover when traveling. I still appreciate a dry seat in the morning. Take it off, shake off the dew and stuff it in a small waterproof bag. If it's damp, chances are it will dry when I use it again later in the day, maybe while sightseeing, maybe while getting a meal. I think keeping the bike covered discourages passerby from messing with the bike. I started wearing a Helite air vest last year, which is a little difficult to store on the bike due to the large back protector (instructions say not to fold). So I use a locking cable and leave the vest and jacket on the seat. The cover keeps them clean(er) and dry, and helps prevent some sun fading of the Hi-Viz yellow. I also feel better about leaving the GPS locked in the mount if it is out of sight.

Good question. I generally cover my bike when on the road. I have a very light Aerostitch cover that stuffs into itself, and is very compact. With the cases on a GSA, I have plenty of room, and it takes no time at all. Why do I do it? First off, I hate getting on a wet bike in the morning, if it happens to rain overnight. And, I think it might deter some people from poking around my bike. Can't prove that, but then I'm not trying to convince anybody else. Who cares? To each his own.

Edited by marcopolo
Lone_RT_rider
It's just me. Ya'll can do what you want.

And that sir, is the best reason to cover your bike. Just because you want to. :)

I never used a bike cover until I did a tour circling around Lake Michigan. Where there are Gulls, who poop wherever they want. Including on my bike.

I don't cover, but I'd think one of the main reasons is just to put the goods out-of-sight. Kinda like not leaving your laptop or cell phone visible in your car.

Well, here's what I'm thinking…since you rhetorically asked…

I could care less about a dry bike. In fact, the covers I use are far from water-tight. As I explain to my co-workers, the sun around here is wicked intense and my bike is filled with overpriced, German, black plastic. It generally spends 10-12 hours in the parking lot at work, with direct exposure. I think it's worth the 30 seconds out of my commuting day to cover/uncover the bike.

While they are certainly different polymers (cover vs. bike plastics), I point to my 4-year old, used-to-be-black cover that is heavily faded to a light grey (and slowly decomposing), and contrast that with the decent looking black bits on my 14-year old bike. I can't afford to burn through bikes (or parts) like some folks and I plan to keep this one for a while, so it's a small thing I do to keep the bike from looking too ratty.

As a few others here have noted, the cover is a cheap sacrificial offering to the sun gods.

szurszewski

You've seen my current bike camping tent. It's huge compared to my old one. ;)

Then I would use a sort of half/bikini cover and keep my riding gear (helmet, pants, jacket, gloves and boots - the whole shebang) on the seat - the cover went from the fairing back to the topcase/rear rack and low enough on the sides to be level with the seat. That way all my gear was off the ground and dry. I suppose the cover kept the bike maybe from being pooped upon by camp birds etc, but like you I think riding is where it gets gunked up.

Sure I maybe had a damp cover to deal with if I left early on a damp morning, but then a damp tent too so not a big deal. Usually if I shook off the dew first thing the cover would be dry and ready by the time I was ready to roll.

Edited by szurszewski
John Ranalletta

I prefer to part mine on the right...

Oh, we're discussing bike covers? Sorry, thought it was haircuts. :dopeslap:

Joe Frickin' Friday

I don't cover my entire bike, but I do cover the seat. I discovered early on that my Corbin soaks up water (rain or overnight dew) like a sponge, and will give me an unpleasant ride the next day if I don't take proper precautions. In my case, the solution is budget friendly, a piece of plastic cut from a heavy-duty trash bag tucked under all the seat edges:

2011-05-my-torrey-oddity-074-L.jpg

John we are discussing "things I don't understand in life". So, how is it that I part my hair on the right but every time I look in the mirror it is parted on the left?

WTF????

John Ranalletta

Easy there. Someone once wrote here that we could argue over haircuts.

This cover/no cover issue seemed to fall into that category. Sorry if it upset you.

No worries. On some forums the gloves would have already come out.

Here, on the best forum in the Universe, we can all be correct in how we do something.

Now this hair parting thing. What side would your part be on if viewed through a prism?

Oh, I see now. We're talking about covers for bad haircuts. I misunderstood. :grin:

I definitely use one cause my barber is a hack, but he's cheap and is available anytime, day or night. And that left-right mirror thing really confuses him, but luckily in a couple of days he, I mean I, is/am back to just normal ugly.

I do also use a “head cover” for the aforementioned sun thing. Since there's not much need for me to trim the top of the hedge these days, I need something to protect that “bodywork”, too. :old:

I never covered my bike and finally asked a well mileaged buddy (and member of the world famous International BMWST Back Road Packâ„¢) why he covered every night. He had a couple of reasons, but his main one was to deter prying eyes. Ahh Sooo! I followed suit and bought a Traveler half cover - it covers from noise to trunk case, but not the side cases. On my recent 10,000 mile trip, I found it incredibly useful - especially when it rained. No, I don;t mind a wet bike and I ride in the rain, but it was so nice to come out after a rain and just have a wet cover. The cover shakes off and gets stuffed into the bag. It's no problem. One day, in the midst of a ride at the UN, we had just parked for lunch and the skies turned suddenly dark. I whipped out my cover and my helmet, jacket, bike and tank bag were all under the cover while the skies opened up. An hour or more later, we came out after the storm and my companions had standing water in their tank bags. My bike and gear were high and dry - no muss, no fuss. Additionally, in Portland, were our AirBNB had street parking, the bike was protected from the curd the trees on the street were dropping.

So while the well meaning question being asked is why in the world does someone use a cover, I'm asking myself, "Why did I take so long to use one on the road!?"

One additional reason. I think it also protects from "Swine Flu" . .

cover%20shot.jpg

:rofl:

Left