IGNORED

O2 removal

joeb

My new O2 sensor from Beemerboneyard has arrived and I'm contemplating installing if today. Any hints or advice on removing old one. I think it was on a YouTube vid that said remove it when the exhaust is really hot for an easier removal. True, false ??

Thanks.

My new O2 sensor from Beemerboneyard has arrived and I'm contemplating installing if today. Any hints or advice on removing old one. I think it was on a YouTube vid that said remove it when the exhaust is really hot for an easier removal. True, false ??

Thanks.

Afternoon joeb

In some cases that can be true. But it is not that easy on the BMW boxer as access is limited so getting burnt is always a possibility.

Over the years I have found that a PROPER fitting 6 point socket or box end wrench is the secret to getting them loose.

If I am replacing the o2 then I usually cut the pigtail off first so I can easily use a box end wrench.

I then use either an open end or proper o2 sensor (open slot) socket to reinstall the new one.

roger 04 rt

Joe, I've done this several times and found an O2-sensor socket to be worth the money for me since I do a lot of O2 sensor experimenting.

What's worked for me is a touch of WD40 at the cat's collar & collar nut, making it easier to slide off the header. Then the custom socket and my longest-handle torque wrench with the silencer/cat combo upsidedown on a blanket to minimize scratching the silencer.

tekton-sockets-47749-64_1000.jpg