IGNORED

Just Back From 6500 Mile Ride

MichiganBob

MichiganBob

The 2012 1200RT was flawless. I got more and more comfortable running in lower gear to keep it at around 4000 RPM. Feels so much better in 5th at 4000 than 6th at 3400.

Total oil consumption was .5 quart.

Got used to cruise control and used it more often.

The brand new PR4GT at the start of the trip still has about 2,000 left on it. Best mileage I got from a tire in quite some time. They handled great in the rain and in all road conditions.I was running a lot of weight behind me, xl duffel with all my camping gear plus two full saddle bags and a full trunk box.

I have fork mounted Denali D4 lights and they are pointed down a bit so to not annoy vehicles in front of me or coming in the opposite direction. Who knows if it was the lights plus I ran high beam all the time but I had only a couple of times when someone did something really stupid like turn right on a highway in front of me. I believe that these lights are very effective, as was the hyperlights. Its darn hard to prove that prevention works but I've been riding since 1969 and this was the fewest dumb vehicle incidents ever.

Morning ritual was to gold bond creme all body parts in contact with saddle (stock seat). Then liberally monkey but powder crotch and butt area of my LD Comfort shorts. Alaska leather seat cover. Not any monkey butt at all. Very pleased with this.

Bought a cool vest, the kind you soak in water and put under your vented jacket. It was invaluable in southern Utah, Nevada, and California. Temps got up to 114 which is damn hot for this Michigan guy. I have a camel back in my tank bag with the hose attached to a key ring on the tank bag zipper. Stayed hydrated. Filled it up with ice when I stopped for fuel.

Wore a keep cool beanie under the helmet. no helmet itch.

That's about it on my recent trip -- hope it's helpful.

Many highlights but several worth mentioning ..... Monument Valley, Highway 1 from San Luis Opismo to Monterey, Glacier Road to the Sun, and a fine motorcycle museum in Marquette, Kansas dedicated to the late great Stan the Man Engdahl. Most of his 600 plus trophies are on display along with an interesting collection of bikes and some great older photos.

Ride safe,

Bob

Sounds like a great trip! I'm leaving the last week of August for Glacier/Road to the Sun and than down to Yellowstone. Any advice for Glacier? I've fished four different time in Yellowstone so I'm good there.

Rob

MichiganBob

Going to the Sun is magnificent Rob. There will likely be some slower traffic but there is no rush because the scenery is breathtaking. Make sure to check out the Glacier Park Lodge by the east entrance. Built in 1913, the structural log work is fabulous. Safe riding.

Bob

My boss just stayed in that lodge on a recent trip. Here's a good video on the Going to the Sun Road...https://youtu.be/gjWhg5leJ3o