IGNORED

Shuberth C3 Pro with BMW communication

bmwdavid

I have a opportunity to pick up a used Shuberth C3 pro with the BMW communication. The helmet is two years old but was inly worn a couple times. Not sure if BMW has updated their communication since then. I am wondering if anyone has the BMW communication and can offer their opinion as to whether it pairs well with a 2016 BMW r1200RT, if the sound is any good for music etc... Will it pair with another brand if I decide to get s passenger helmet with something else for communication.

I know this is a boring thread but if anyone has any experience with the BMW communication it would be appreciated.

My wife and I both have the Schuberth C3 Pro helmets with the BMW communication system. When I bought the bike, the dealer gave me 25% discount on any options, including the BMW communication system, so that's primarily why I bought it. The good: It paired seamlessly with the bluetooth system in my 2015 RTW; the intercom function works quite well in the pairing with my wife's helmet; the helmet itself is really quiet, especially considering it is a modular design; it pairs will with the Nav V. The bad: The fidelity of music is pretty poor. I can certainly hear the music, but it's similar to an old transistor radio in terms of dynamics. Unfortunately, the BMW system doesn't have the option (like the Sena for example) of plugging in a set of earbuds. I recently went with a Motocello unit (haven't wired it up yet) so I can get my music hardwired directly from the excellent Alpine unit that comes in the RT.

Hope this helps.

A lot has to do with who did the install of the system.

You can fiddle with the speaker placement a bit , making sure they are over your ear holes . If space allows. You can make speaker shims out of Velcro cut into circles, a fuzzy and a rough, back to back stuck to each other like a small cookie.

Then place this between the speaker and the helmets ear pad under the velour lining.

This gets the speaker closer to your ear again, unless it fouls your ear causing pain.

A lot has to do with who did the install of the system.

You can fiddle with the speaker placement a bit , making sure they are over your ear holes . If space allows. You can make speaker shims out of Velcro cut into circles, a fuzzy and a rough, back to back stuck to each other like a small cookie.

Then place this between the speaker and the helmets ear pad under the velour lining.

This gets the speaker closer to your ear again, unless it fouls your ear causing pain.

It's not a question of hearing it...the speakers are properly located and I can hear it just fine (the helmets were sent to Schuberth and they did the install). Unfortunately, there just isn't any fidelity to the sound (i.e. poor lows and highs). There has been considerable discussion of this problem on other forum sites and the general consensus is a unit such as the Motochello system fixes the problem (the problem being the RTW has an outdated bluetooth system, so it's just not capable of re-creating the fidelity of sound that the $1500 Alpine unit is capable of producing). I'm a professional musician so, admittedly, my taste in sound might be different than others.

I had two C3 Pros and BMW communicators. BMW stopped development and updating the communicator several years ago. I would not pay extra for it. It is just an add on to buy the helmet. I have switched to Sena 20s evos. Much better sound quality especially with the plug in ear buds. The BMW unit will only connect to one sound source. The 20s will connect to several giving you greater options. The helmets are great but the com system has no value.

This site is very helpful. Saving a few dollars on a helmet but getting s out of date communications that won't pair with anything isn't worth it. I appy the advice.

• 10 months later...
On 8/8/2018 at 10:52 PM, bdfbeemer said:

I had two C3 Pros and BMW communicators. BMW stopped development and updating the communicator several years ago. I would not pay extra for it. It is just an add on to buy the helmet. I have switched to Sena 20s evos. Much better sound quality especially with the plug in ear buds. The BMW unit will only connect to one sound source. The 20s will connect to several giving you greater options. The helmets are great but the com system has no value.

I have had the C3 Pro with the SCR Comms for years and have just received the System 7 Carbon "MOTO" Helmet with the BMW Communications system.

I am not sure what you mean regarding that the Communicator hasn't been developed for years. Are you talking about the GPS ???

My new helmet came with the new updated BMW Comms system (V3). It now uses the Blutooth 4.1 standard, where the previous version used the 2.0 and 2.1 standard. The BMW Helmet Comms system can connect up to 3 devices, while my City Navigator V can do at least 2 at the same time.

To pair the BMW Helmet comms with my 2014 RT LC bike and the GPS Navigator "V" including the phone took less then 2 minutes, while the SCR was a royal pain in the a$$ and simply was impossible to guarantee reliable connection to the bike.

I upgraded the speakers of the SCR system and packed it out to sit flush on my ears, which did give a noticeable sound improvement, while the BMW system is bog standard and I won't know how good it is until I take the bike for a run. But being able to adjust the volume on the wheel is a major advantage compared to the SCR, where you have to find the volume level with your gloves. That's a pure hit and miss affair. I know the SCR has auto volume (AGC) compared to external noise and I have had mine programmed to all different setting, but never achieved a happy compromise.

I am going for a run on the bike tomorrow and will then update this thread on my 1st impression.