BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#1016597 - 08/10/18 05:01 PM Re: The Clean Living Hoosiers™ Ride Again. The 3rd Annual Trip Of A Lifetime [Re: Indy Dave]  
Indy Dave Online
Indy Dave  Online

Indianapolis
A few clarifications. I said this was the 3rd Annual once-in-a-lifetime Clean Living Hoosiers Trip. That's not exactly true. Last year we rode again, to Vermont and Maine. Yours Truly hasn't shared that trip as yet, and since this one is fresher in "The Old Duder's Head" [Big Lewbowski], I'm starting with this trip. But brothers Joe (GSJoe) and Jerry have been doing these trips for about 5 years before I used all manor of sorcery and trickery to get included.

Jerry in his natural surroundings:

[Linked Image]

and Joe in his:

[Linked Image]

The other cast members:

Ernie (AKA Big Ern and more commonly referred to as 'The Silver Bastard') Big Ern lives on the East Coast.

[Linked Image]

Don (Donny) - Donny is quick and always moving, so it's hard to get a still shot of him. So he gets two intro photos.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Steve - Steve is NOT a Hoosier and no doubt is not thrilled at being included in the reference. Steve is from CA and was along on the trip two years ago to Colorado.

[Linked Image]

and his beautiful bike:

[Linked Image]

Indy Dave

[Linked Image]

Both Big Ern (Kingpin movie reference to the Bill Murray played bowler) and Donny have been on at least one of the annual trips before Yours Truly started tagging along, so for all intents, I'm the New Kid on the block and have to carry the luggage to the rooms.

Don, Jerry and Ernie flew out to CA and rented bikes. More on that later. GSJoe and Steve, living in the L.A. area, rode their own bikes, and I had previously ridden out to Burbank and left my bike in preparation for this trip.

The plan was for me to meet everyone but Big Ern, who was joining us a few days later, at Neptune's Net, a well known biker joint. CA traffic and such as it is, had the guys waiting on me for a couple of hours. While I arrived starving, they were refreshed and beyond itching to get back on the road. Always considerate of each other, the CLH had a burger waiting for me and I wolfed it down in the parking lot and we were OFF!!

[Linked Image]

FINALLY, THE WAIT IS OVER!

Old Men and The Sea

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Indy Dave; 08/10/18 05:24 PM.

Workin' Them Angels . . .overtime
06 R12RT

The point of the journey is not to arrive...

#1016598 - 08/10/18 05:15 PM Re: The Clean Living Hoosiers™ Ride Again. The 3rd Annual Trip Of A Lifetime [Re: Indy Dave]  
Bud Offline
95% of an RT
Bud  Offline
95% of an RT

Southern Illinois
Originally Posted by Bud
Some things can not be fixed. wave

Hmmm.... How's that hip?!?

It's coming along, more slowly than I want but you warned me previously that thinking I would be back on the bike in a couple of weeks was "crazy talk".

Still have my eyes on FART. Don't know what I will be riding, but plan to be there.

Loving the ride tale and the photos! clap clap

Last edited by Bud; 08/10/18 05:16 PM.

95% of an RT.

I haven't had too many Beemers, I just don't have enough time.
#1016600 - 08/10/18 05:37 PM Re: The Clean Living Hoosiers™ Ride Again. The 3rd Annual Trip Of A Lifetime [Re: Indy Dave]  
Indy Dave Online
Indy Dave  Online

Indianapolis
Speaking of beautiful bikes . .

Lay your eyes on the curves of Yours Truly's RT (right side up this time)

[Linked Image]

The 1150GS featured earlier and credited to Steve, is actually GSJoes. I'm telling ya, you just can't find a good editor anymore.

GSJoe's sweet Machine:

[Linked Image]

And Steve's equally stunning roadster:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

06 R12RT

#1016604 - 08/10/18 06:13 PM Re: The Clean Living Hoosiers™ Ride Again. The 3rd Annual Trip Of A Lifetime [Re: Indy Dave]  
Indy Dave Online
Indy Dave  Online

Indianapolis
The Silver Bastard generally shy's away from the Limelight, preferring not to live on the Gilded Stage, and he will only make his way to the front once or twice on these trips. On the rare occasions he does make his way to the front, he's generally ready to roll.

I appreciate I've made a few posts in a short order here. It's because I'm tied to my desk working on a few unpleasant things and have random allotments of escape time, and my mind is constantly wandering back to the trip and the wish that I were out riding.. . It's likely I won't be updating over the weekend, so I leave you this video of The Silver Bastard blazing the trail one fine day on this stretch of road:

Roughly this stretch of road: https://goo.gl/maps/w4wYan26BGR2

The Silver Bastard leads the way on CA 96 Hoppa to Orleans CA

EDIT: This clip is also illustrative of Clean Living™ - you'll note we just had one car to get around.

Last edited by Indy Dave; 08/10/18 06:16 PM.

06 R12RT

#1016607 - 08/10/18 06:41 PM Re: The Clean Living Hoosiers™ Ride Again. The 3rd Annual Trip Of A Lifetime [Re: Indy Dave]  
Lone_RT_rider Offline
Lone_RT_rider  Offline

Germantown, WI

Love the music choice Dave. With the reference to Gilded Stage I was half expecting some Rush though. wink

2018 Harley-Davidson FLHTP Electra-Glide
2008 BMW R1200RT
1999 BMW R1100RT

#1016610 - 08/10/18 07:29 PM Re: The Clean Living Hoosiers™ Ride Again. The 3rd Annual Trip Of A Lifetime [Re: Indy Dave]  
RandyShields Offline
RandyShields  Offline

Charlotte, NC
Dave wrote: Yea, the car had at least one wheel locked and skdding on the gravel - I could hear it. Fortunatly, he stayed stopped as Jerry and Ernie got to him. I'd warned them about the guy on the Sena. On the music, are you suggesting the last song - 'I'm Brilliant' was out of place?!

Not out of place. Good lyrics just not a big fan of the music; the first half with Take the Long Way Home was great.

R

#1016634 - 08/10/18 10:59 PM Re: The Clean Living Hoosiers™ Ride Again. The 3rd Annual Trip Of A Lifetime [Re: Indy Dave]  
Bill_Walker Offline
Bill_Walker  Offline

San Marcos, CA USA
Originally Posted by Indy Dave
BTW, on my videos in the description (along with the music credits), I try to include a google maps link to show the road and area.

Does anybody read that stuff? wink

Northern San Diego County ("North County" to locals)
'15 R1200RT
'12 Kawasaki KLX250S
'04 R1150RT (gone)
'02 Suzuki V-Strom (gone)
#1016653 - 08/11/18 05:26 AM Re: The Clean Living Hoosiers™ Ride Again. The 3rd Annual Trip Of A Lifetime [Re: Endobobdds]  
Indy Dave Online
Indy Dave  Online

Indianapolis
Originally Posted by RandyShields
Dave wrote: On the music, are you suggesting the last song - 'I'm Brilliant' was out of place?!

Not out of place. Good lyrics just not a big fan of the music; the first half with Take the Long Way Home was great.

R

That's always the trade off. Sometimes you have good lyrics that might fit a situation, other times you have a great song that the lyrics don't fit the scene. Case in point, in one video where I'm behind GSJoe, I guarantee you, I'm not "A Fool For Your Stockings" (ZZ Top) computer

A word About The Videos

I'm sharing video here because I think it provides a great frame of reference of what the roads are like that we rode, and also because (along with the map links) they may be of help to others doing trip planning. Video, however, leaves out the personal context of our time together and the various personalities of The Clean Living Hoosiers. And as you'll soon discover, we have a LOT of laughs! So we'll have both photos and video. thumbsup

I've been fortunate enough to ride with and be under the tutelage of some great riders from BMWST. We ride and we talk 'shop'. And I try to soak it up. I'm sure most of you are the same - you want to be the best rider you can and that requires a constant commitment to self-evaluation. I have a long, long way to go and a lot to learn. That being said, I'm also my own worst critic. You can be sure I scrutinize every inch of this footage, critiquing every corner. Along those lines, I invite you to offer input or critique any OF MY riding. I'm all ears and I always appreciate any and all input. However - if the other guys want input on their riding, they can let us know. thumbsup

Originally Posted by Endobobdds
Will your riding partner's ever let you lead again? grin

Well, they may say they hang back but I'm not sure that's what's really happening. But you be the judge. dontknow whistle wave

Oh! You like that stuff, huh?!?!

Map link of this section of road

Last edited by Indy Dave; 08/11/18 05:54 AM.

06 R12RT

#1016660 - 08/11/18 11:05 AM Re: The Clean Living Hoosiers™ Ride Again. The 3rd Annual Trip Of A Lifetime [Re: Indy Dave]  
TEWKS Offline
TEWKS  Offline

Tewksbury, MA.
Great stuff, Dave! lurk

Pat

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed" Curly Howard
#1016663 - 08/11/18 12:07 PM Re: The Clean Living Hoosiers™ Ride Again. The 3rd Annual Trip Of A Lifetime [Re: Indy Dave]  
Bernie Offline
Bernie  Offline

Jax, FL
Great videos and ride report.

Bernie
Jax, FL
2018 R1200RT, Alpinweiss, starting out fresh.
2007 R1200RT, Double Silver 188,700 Smiles, SOLD
2000 R1100RT, Opal 104,000 Smiles, SOLD
BMW-MOA, BMW-RA,
AMA, BMW-NEF,
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3