IGNORED

Exhaust flap... again.

profbodryak

Hi everyone,

I was being so hopeful that the faulty exhaust valve would be replaced under my aftermarket warranty. I heard from the dealer yesterday that they are going to try pre-authorizing parts/repair but it is unlikely that it will be covered. I read RPM1's terms of platinum coverage and it does not seem to cover the replacement. Of course, replacement of the exhaust flap involves replacing the headers because BMW thought it was a great idea to make that flap part of the entire system (given previous year's failures that was reasonable?) Has anyone removed the exhaust valve and can share their experiences? How much louder is it after the removal? Given much speculation on what the exhaust valve actually does, is there a noticable power output difference?

I need enlightenment. What the hell is an exhaust flap? Maybe it's yet another reason why I should never buy a new BMW. Seriously, what is it? I know what an exhaust valve is and it couldn't be that or could it?

Well, I'm a little fuzzy on Emission warranty laws , but in Calif anyway, anything emission related is 5yr 50k miles.

This MAY be a Fed thing, but of you have more than 50k miles, it's moot.

I would check around and gently suggest that the flap may be covered as the Cat is inside the headers that house the flapper. SO if within mileage limits, BMW may make a courtesy

Repair that would have to be approved through the Area Service Rep.

The flap is not part of an emissions system ( unless you count noise emissions ) so not likely to be considered under any exhaust emissions coverage. There are people that have removed/repaired it, but I have no information on how to do it. Might be as simple spraying some parts cleaner on it and moving it back and forth manually to break it free!

Unless it is stuck "closed" there won't be a noticeable power difference.

OK, it kind of looks like this flap is maybe for emissions? Kind of ranks right up there with the canbus if you get my drift.

Afternoon JamesW

That exhaust flapper valve is behind the cyclitic converter (post cat) so it isn't emission control related. Most exhaust flow control devises like that are for noise pass-by (noise emission control) in the RPM band & load ranges that they are tested at for noise compliance.

Different animal but I pulled it from my 2011 camhead. Didn't notice any difference. Hate to hear it's been integrated into the header on the WC boxers.

Tri750: I am waiting to hear from the dealer still. If not covered by my aftermarket warranty, I will be writing a letter to BMW of North America. It is unfortunate that at 21500 miles almost the entire exhaust system has to be replaced at over $2500 which otherwise would be fully functional. I could understand if this happened at a much higher mileage but not this early on.

And if BMW NA won't do anything then I will have to figure out how to remove the valve entirely, given that in DC there is no required inspection/emmision/noise testing for motorcycles.

I think you would have better results dealing with bmw first.

A letter will go to a CSR that will give you a polite "no" letter.

Call the service manager of your local dealer and ask for a meeting or phone call from the Area Service rep.

My point on it maybe being covered under the emissions warranty wasn't implying it was an emmisons part but that it was a componant of an emmisions part that perhaps should be covered as it failing so early is unusual . Unless you jammed a screwdriver in there to hold it open, or otherwise modified it.

Your aftermarket warranty co. Pay people to think of ways to weasel out of paying anything.

Just my opinion .

Morning profbodryak

What exactly is wrong with it? All the external control parts are available separately , like the entire servo control unit & cables. The valve itself inside the header pipe & cat assembly is just a simple shaft & valve.

Tri750: well, given that it is a fourth RT (all four of different generations), never had this problem before. Aftermarket people would certainly try not to cover as much as possible but are you suggesting that it is to possibly be covered by BMW?

dirtrider, good morning. On a hot engine, with uprevs it makes a whistling noise as the flap changes the opening angle. I doubt that there is anything wrong with the servo motor as during my last service as I was almost ready to take off, it started making the noise and I asked them to do something about it. And they lubed it - what exactly was lubed is unknown to me but they said it was the flapper valve. Carbon buildup? Another example would be turning the ignition key to "on" once the engine is already hot, the flap opens and makes that noise.

Edited by profbodryak

AZgman: this would be the last resort. If not covered by RPM1 or BMW then I am thinking of taking out the flap but keeping the servo motor connected so that there is no check engine light as a result.

dirtrider, good morning. On a hot engine, with uprevs it makes a whistling noise as the flap changes the opening angle. I doubt that there is anything wrong with the servo motor as during my last service as I was almost ready to take off, it started making the noise and I asked them to do something about it. And they lubed it - what exactly was lubed is unknown to me but they said it was the flapper valve. Carbon buildup? Another example would be turning the ignition key to "on" once the engine is already hot, the flap opens and makes that noise.

Afternoon profbodryak

Do you know what part of the valve, servo, or cables is actually making the noise?

With it making the noise even at key-on (not running) sort of points to valve, servo, or cable movement not an exhaust flow related problem. Might be something external to valve in the cable area or something in the spring area.

You might remove the valve pulley cover then key-on & see if you can identify what exactly is causing the noise. (might be something simple is just bent or dragging & causing the noise with a simple little tweak to give it clearance)

I need enlightenment. What the hell is an exhaust flap? Maybe it's yet another reason why I should never buy a new BMW. Seriously, what is it? I know what an exhaust valve is and it couldn't be that or could it?

here it is : https://www.ascycles.com/bmw/2014/R1200RT/Exhaust%20system/Exhaust%20flap.html#PartsTable

Morning Bob

Unfortunately that isn't the exhaust flap, what you have pictured is the remote mounted servo unit that controls or moves the exhaust flap. The actual exhaust flap is inside the exit pipe coming out of the rear of catalytic converter. (part of the front header system)

The part that you have pictured hooks to that pulley (shown in picture below) using short cables to open & close the flap.

iDZyw9M.gif

here it is : https://www.ascycles.com/bmw/2014/R1200RT/Exhaust%20system/Exhaust%20flap.html#PartsTable

Morning Bob

Unfortunately that isn't the exhaust flap, what you have pictured is the remote mounted servo unit that controls or moves the exhaust flap. The actual exhaust flap is inside the exit pipe coming out of the rear of catalytic converter. (part of the front header system)

iDZyw9M.gif

Yes I'm aware of that but, the exhaust you have shown is also on the parts page I just can't show it like you did.

Afternoon profbodryak

Do you know what part of the valve, servo, or cables is actually making the noise?

With it making the noise even at key-on (not running) sort of points to valve, servo, or cable movement not an exhaust flow related problem. Might be something external to valve in the cable area or something in the spring area.

You might remove the valve pulley cover then key-on & see if you can identify what exactly is causing the noise. (might be something simple is just bent or dragging & causing the noise with a simple little tweak to give it clearance)

I have not looked but it sounds like a high-pitched whistle. It is a good point that it could be the pulley making that noise as well. Given that it only happens at full operating temperature, I am inclined to think that it is not because of the servo motor.

I have not looked but it sounds like a high-pitched whistle. It is a good point that it could be the pulley making that noise as well. Given that it only happens at full operating temperature, I am inclined to think that it is not because of the servo motor.

Evening profbodryak

That might be a tough one to figure out without removing the cover & having your head & ears right on top of it when it is making the noise.

At first glance it seems that about the only parts that would be capable of making a high-pitched whistle type noise is the spinning servo motor worm gear drive, or possibly the valve screeching on the inside of the pipe as the valve end drags on the pipe ID.

If you ever figure this one out please let us know what you find.

21 K miles seems too soon for this valve to get crudded up. Do you buy fuel from one specific vendor? If yes, then maybe a change of gasoline brand would reduce build up going forward.

I pull the muffler off a while back during a rear tire change. The exhaust flap valve in the end of the header was easy to see so being curious to see it in action I fired up the bike and watched it do its thing. It seems that the flap would fully open from closed on start up and then settle into some intermediate position while the motor idles. It will full open when the throttle is blipped while running. When the ignition is turned off the valve will sit in its place at switch off, but after a few minutes with the ignition off you will see and hear the valve being fully close by the computer.

So, if you pull the muffler and the valve is not closed, it is a good sign that that something is hung up. On starting the motor if the valve does not fully open, or fully open when the throttle is blipped, it is another good sign that the flapper is jammed from being able to fully open. KIS would have me looking for carbon gumming up in the flap valve pivot. If the flap valve moves freely, then it is onto the cable & pulley assembly and last stop the servo motor.

Not sure what or how to clean the pivot, but would try to mechanically dislodge any carbon. I would avoid using something like Easyoff Oven Cleaner as it the over spray could discolor some surrounding finish that it got onto.

dirtrider, will certainly post on here once the problem is figured out.

Paul De, agree, 21k on the clock is too early for this. It is a rather annoying noise that is audible on the road even with the music on. It may be such that carbon buildup is limiting the valve movement and possibly at the pivot joint. To dirtrider's and your point, will have to look inside to see.

Andrew Harmsworth

Mine just replaced at 21k on a 2015 rt after sticking not exactly sure what it is supposed to do for emissions but the bike was hesitating on acceleration on occasions.

Paul De: I do mostly get my gas at a Sunoco a couple of blocks away from home as it is convenient. Otherwise, when on the road, I prefer BP or Shell.

Update by the dealer: RPM1 will cover this repair when the valve fails/error code is generated.

• 1 month later...

My2013 started to run real rough on the way home late in the evening I nursed it home when I pulled into the garage the pipe behind the flap assembly probably the catalytic was red hot . The flap had stuck I took off the heat shield and plastic guard that was partially melted and examined the device tried a little break free and a tap with a hammer it seems to work fine so now it's a waiting game.