IGNORED

Rubbing noise from back end of wheel

Touristador

Touristador

I have recently noticed a rubbing or chaffing noise that seems to come from somewhere around my rear tire on my 2005 R1200rt. Can only hear it in quiet parking lots at low speed (5-10mph). After that the wind overcomes the sound, or maybe it just goes away (wishful thinking I think)

I have put the bike on its center stand and rotated the wheel while in neutral. No sound. there must be weight on the bike to make the sound while tire rotates.

Took it to dealer who pulled out and greased the splines on drive. Still hear the rubbing or chaffing noise.

Could this be the bearings in the rear wheel hub?

I don't want to commit to a course of expensive action only to be wrong and waste a lot of money.

It worries me to take a long interstate trip without knowing I can trust bike. Dealer says to keep riding it and see what gets worse.

I would like to be a bit more proactive than that.

Any advice will be appreciated.

I have recently noticed a rubbing or chaffing noise that seems to come from somewhere around my rear tire on my 2005 R1200rt. Can only hear it in quiet parking lots at low speed (5-10mph). After that the wind overcomes the sound, or maybe it just goes away (wishful thinking I think)

I have put the bike on its center stand and rotated the wheel while in neutral. No sound. there must be weight on the bike to make the sound while tire rotates.

Took it to dealer who pulled out and greased the splines on drive. Still hear the rubbing or chaffing noise.

Could this be the bearings in the rear wheel hub?

I don't want to commit to a course of expensive action only to be wrong and waste a lot of money.

It worries me to take a long interstate trip without knowing I can trust bike. Dealer says to keep riding it and see what gets worse.

I would like to be a bit more proactive than that.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Evening Touristador

If YOU can hear it & the dealer can't here or find it then you need to find another dealer.

It could be a brake pad dragging a little, or could be a final drive bearing going out, or could be a drive shaft issue, or could be ????

It might not be a big problem but your really should identify it so you know where you stand.

Touristador

Thanks for your thoughts on this. The dealer said it could be in the final drive, or bearings. Both are expensive and he says he can only guess which. Both repairs are near $1,000.

I don't want to fix one thing and find out I have to do the other as well.

He did not mention that it could be a break pad, although that's what i asked him hoping it could be a relatively minor repair.

I have ridden the bike without using the back break for a quarter mile or so. The disk was not warm. I thought if the pads were rubbing that should heat up.

Don't really know what to do at this point, except try two other dealers who are near enough to me to get to in an afternoon. Maybe see if one of them can say "yeah, I know what this is".

Other advice will still be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Touristador

Thanks.

I tried riding the bike for a quarter mile or so without using the rear break. I could clearly hear the rubbing and thought that the rotor would be warm if the rubbing was from the break. It wasn't.

It is a short distance, but was the best I could do at the time.

Do you think this means it can't be the breaks?

I have ridden the bike without using the back break for a quarter mile or so. The disk was not warm. I thought if the pads were rubbing that should heat up.

Afternoon Touristador

A very light brake pad rub can give a scraping noise but no heat.

If you want to get a bit more aggressive you might try prying the rear brake pads back into calipers a little THEN ride the bike using NO brakes. (using the front brake also applies the rear brake)

• 1 year later...

So Touristator, have you found out where your gremlins are??? My ST is an 06' with 49,000 miles. I think I now have a similar sound when my bike is rolling. Sounds a bit metallic to my ears and with a mechanics stethoscope sure sounds like my drive shaft area more than anything else with the motor running in gear on the center stand. It also doesn't go away when I put on my brakes. I have inspected my universal joints (rear during a rear end fluid change & front by moving the rubber boot to the side) and have seen no outward signs of trouble like rust - yet! :dontknow:

I've found it helpful to turn off the ignition (and engine, obviously), change the gearbox into neutral, and listen to the bike while coasting from about 20mph. Used this to help find a rear end problem, but it may help on many rotation-related issues. The relatively quiet process may be useful.