IGNORED

These Hellas are...

Twisties

... a hell of a good deal...

2010 post where I decided on these things

So, after 3 years of frustration installing lights constantly on our '07 RTs, some of which only lasted 2 or 3 k miles, I spent the time to dig up some numbers and chose these Hellas. According to our order history, we first ordered in August 2010, then again in May 2015, now going for round three in August 2018. When the first one goes, we replace both. The bikes are approaching 90k miles and likely had about 25k when we went to these bulbs. They are plenty bright. I highly recommend.

Now here's my little first world curiosity: One of Bullett's bulbs just went out, so it's time to replace both. I found a set of two bulbs in our parts box... since most bulb changes seem to happen on the road I don't track these in our service logs... well and because I just haven't, so there. Now the question is, keeping in mind that we have one used working bulb each time we change and there are two bikes, are these two bulbs new or used? Is it possible that Sharon's bike has gone well over 50k miles on her first set of these things???? The bulbs look new and the boxes look unopened????

No worries here as I just ordered a set of 4 new ones to put on the bikes... but I am curious. Any way to tell if they are used?

Edited by Twisties

Gonna go out on a limb here but an ohmmeter might tell the tale if you have a new one to compare to.... I would think the resistance would change after it had fired up for a while. Prolly need to take an average of new bulb resistances then check your mystery bulbs......Disclaimer: I am not an electronics engineer, just a hobbyist.

At work I sometimes keep used parts in the box that the replacement came out of, so I know what it is. I usually do this if I have a suspect part that I'm certain has not failed completely. Never put a used part in the box without labeling it as "used".

Anyway, check the electrical connector blades. Used bulbs should have little scratches where the connectors slipped on. There may be a variety of other scratches or rub marks where the base makes contact with the retainer spring, or other various places. Perhaps also some road grime deposits in certain places. Remove the bulbs currently installed, and compare them side by side. Also compare to a known new bulb.

Edited by elkroeger

FWIW

I write on a box the date of swap.

I know doesn't help now, but next time.

Date and mileage.

How hard is it to swap out?

Get new bulbs, label as such, pack as spares.

Use what ya got and see.

Get it, see...

sorry been reading to many Steve C jokes

:dopeslap: