IGNORED

O2 sensor removal access

joeb

Morn all.

03rt. Looking at removing O2 sensor with least amount of effort.

Looks like center stand directly below sensor so can't get a wrench on it that way. Is removing the exhaust the best option ? With 103 k on the bike I'm sure nothing will come apart easy. My HAYNES manual says might have to remove down tubes with exhaust. Not so sure they will unbolt easily. It appears that if I remove the left side foot peg mounting bracket I might be able to get a socket on the sensor. Any ideas ?? Thanks.

Morn all.

03rt. Looking at removing O2 sensor with least amount of effort.

Looks like center stand directly below sensor so can't get a wrench on it that way. Is removing the exhaust the best option ? With 103 k on the bike I'm sure nothing will come apart easy. My HAYNES manual says might have to remove down tubes with exhaust. Not so sure they will unbolt easily. It appears that if I remove the left side foot peg mounting bracket I might be able to get a socket on the sensor. Any ideas ?? Thanks.

Afternoon joeb

Kind of depends on the tools that you have available, how you have the motorcycle supported, & how good you are a improvising.

Unless the o2 is rusted solidly into the pipe I can usually get up in there with a large box end wrench with a slightly bent box end & get the o2 loose (this is if I cut the wire pig tail off above the sensor).

To remove the cat & muffler with the o2 still on it there is a clamp at front where it attaches to the front header pipe (they usually stick on the front header pipe pretty good though). Then remove the attachment at the muffler.

I'm soaking clamps in penetrating oil. Will try to get a wrench on sensor. If I have to put a bend in a wrench , so be it. If that fails ,then will see if i can loosen exhaust. Thanks.

roger 04 rt

I've always had luck with WD40 on the O2, the clamp but, and into the connection where the header and cat are clamped.

After doing some spelunking thru the crevices and nooks around the exhaust system , it appears that I might be able to slip a sensor socket or just a deep 22mm socket into the space from underneath the bike, then insert an extension shaft with a u-joint onto said socket thru the gear shift hole in the foot peg mounting bracket. It seems to be a fairly straight shot. If it works it would make removal almost painless. Will let ya'll know if it works. ( I guess technically it should be "all ya'll " )

Lone_RT_rider

From what I have been reading, it sounds like the O^2 sensor is almost considered a maintenance item at around 100K miles. My old R1100RT has 105K on her. It might be time to replace that sensor. It does run a bit rough until it gets 3 bars or so on the temp gauge.

And before you ask.... the HES has been replaced. :) Unfortunately it was done in an abandoned car wash in the middle of Nowhere, Colorado. :ohboy:

Shawn

Update on Sensor access.

Just removed and installed sensor.

Really not too bad. First I soaked the sensor with Blaster brand penetrating oil. I shot it up with oil for a few days. That wasn't my plan, just got too busy to work on it for a few days. Went to AutoZone and they lent a O2 sensor socket to me.

Bike on center stand, removed the 1 bolt at rear of muffler so I could pull muffler down about 1/2 inch. This gives a little more clearance to slip the socket onto the sensor which I slid in from underneath while working from the gear shift lever side.. Then i lifted the gear lever and inserted an extension shaft for the socket thru the lever slot . ( you can see the sensor thru the slot on the other side of the bike ). I used a u-joint at the socket, a breaker bar and a moderate amount of force to loosen the sensor. Laying on my back on the brake lever side I was able to reach under bike and get one hand over the exhaust to aid in removing sensor. Install was just the reverse procedure. Really not too bad or difficult.

Now I'm just waiting trying to clarify which wire splices into the new sensor as they appear to be a different color code from the original.

Hope this helps someone.