IGNORED

Mirror Suggestions

r100rsman

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on an additional set of mirrors for an R1200RT. The stock mirrors are adequate but was thinking about adding some mirrors to the handle bars.

Thanks

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on an additional set of mirrors for an R1200RT. The stock mirrors are adequate but was thinking about adding some mirrors to the handle bars.

Thanks

Morning r100rsman

You are in the camhead forum but you didn't state the 1200RT bike. The camhead & hexhead can take different bar mounted mirrors.

Sorry, its a 2013 R1200RT. My first 600 miles have been wonderful.

Afternoon r100rsman

OK, now I can only partially help you- Some of the riders in my ride group have been able to use the camhead 1200GS or GS-A mirrors & parts of the GS mirror mounting to mount to the camhead 1200RT handlebars. Unfortunately I haven't paid that much attention to exactly what they used or did.

Hopefully someone on the site here has actually done it & can supply part numbers & how-to.

You might also call your BMW dealer as I know some dealers have been mounting GS mirrors on the camhead RT's.

Evening r100rsman

I called a friend that has stalk mirrors on his 2012 camhead 1200RT-- he told me he got a kit from A&S BMW but he can't remember what he paid as the kit was part of a much larger order.

The A&S site is working so slow at the moment that I couldn't navigate around fast enough to find the kit. (found the picture/ see below)

A&S mirror picture link

Thanks for the help.

Found the following kit from Sierra BMW. It's a little more than I wanted to spend but it's a proper set.

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/product_info.php/bmw-r1200rt-bar-mount-mirror-kit-bmw-r1200rt-preset-p-2514

Morning r100rsman

Yes, that one has been around for while but as you say expensive & it uses the old style ugly round mirrors. If you don't mind the dated look & high price then it should be good to go.

Maybe buy just the handlebar clamp uppers then see if maybe the BMW 800GS mirrors will fit them (800GS mirrors look sooooo much more modern)

MichiganBob

Hello r100rsman,

I bought my 2012 1200RT used and they already had a set of mirrors mounted on the handlebars. Fortunately, the bike is engineered for installing these post mirrors. I looked them over for a name but could not find anything on them. They are quite stout and matte black, a bit oval with some wind ridges facing the front of the bike. When I first got the bike, I scoffed at these mirrors as I thought they were not as aesthetically pleasing. After all they are old style and who needs four mirrors? It wasn't long before these became my go to mirrors. I not only kept them but love them. They give me field of vision that the stock mirrors do not plus they are high enough to not interfere with vision if there is something on the back seat that is overhanging like a large duffel for camping. I installed those small oval conclave mirrors with the adhesive back in the bottom outside corner of the stock mirrors and use these mirrors primarily to check my blind spot (although I still double check with the old neck turn). I've been riding a long time and like to raise the probabilities of safety. The mirrors, the Denali 4 lights on my forks, the hyperlights, and my very orange Nolan all contribute to that. Good luck on your pursuit.

Michigan Bob

There is another option out there. A motorcycle backup camera. I use one on my 2011 RT as when I have all my camping gear loaded there is no view of what is directly behind me. Tadibrothers.com supplies such unit made for motorcycles. I opted for a cheap Chinese unit to try the concept out and it works nicely. I tried the extra bar end mirrors, but the camera is much neater and less obtrusive.

I have a set of mirrors and supports from Wunderlich that I'm willing to part with. They're the "Vario Flash" mirror that have an angular shape, and are angle and length adjustable. They can be folded in if you're going off road and this feature makes it less likely that they'll be broken in a fall, even if they're left out. The mirror adapters fit the 2010-2012 model years. They will not fit the 2013 or later model years. These adapters replace the top half of the switch/lever assembly clamps so the mirrors screw into them, making for a very clean installation.

PM if you're interested, I've not yet put them up in the market.

Edited by Beemer Dood

I purchased a set of top-half adapters for my 2013 a while back from Wunderlich so they do sell a set for the last year of camhead RT if you need them.

freetime2247

I too tried the handle bar mounted mirrors on my 2012RT and I was disappointed in the look and functionality of the mirrors. I then ordered the windshield mounted “side scan” mirrors and I couldn't be happier. They are not cheap but they are fantastic for seeing traffic in your usual blind spots and you can easily see over your gear mounted on your rear seat.

I too tried the handle bar mounted mirrors on my 2012RT and I was disappointed in the look and functionality of the mirrors. I then ordered the windshield mounted “side scan” mirrors and I couldn't be happier. They are not cheap but they are fantastic for seeing traffic in your usual blind spots and you can easily see over your gear mounted on your rear seat.

brand or link or something?

I can't find anything and it sounds interesting

thx

edit: I bet you mean the "riderscan" mirror

Edited by codan

Freetime,

They certainly look better than the lollipop mirrors I have on my RT, do they induce much additional vibration to the windshield? Do you have the OEM windscreen?

Thanks

This probably isn't going to be a popular answer, but I too found the mirrors on my RT to be insufficient compared to what I remembered from my old Honda years ago. However, I put aux mirrors low on my priority list of things to do to the bike, and after about 6 months I realized that the mirrors on the RT were in fact completely sufficient, just not what I was used to. Humans, by nature, don't like change.

You might give the stock mirrors a few months and see if you still want aux mirrors.

freetime2247

No additional vibration and yes I have the OEM windscreen. I find they have been the best option for me. The only downside being the costs!

freetime2247

You might have to adjust but that's nothing more than pushing or pulling the mirror up or down. The adhesive is really good so they are secured.

• 1 month later...
Evening r100rsman

I called a friend that has stalk mirrors on his 2012 camhead 1200RT-- he told me he got a kit from A&S BMW but he can't remember what he paid as the kit was part of a much larger order.

The A&S site is working so slow at the moment that I couldn't navigate around fast enough to find the kit. (found the picture/ see below)

A&S mirror picture link

Hi R100Rsman, Welcome to the forums and hope you learn a lot form us.

I work in ophthalmology, and everything we look at is bounced off a mirror, and we see reflected surfaces more often than we see upright/real images, so everything I see is upside down and backwards.

I have a 2010, R1200RT, and as per above, I use these same ASCycles mirrors mounted on the handlebars of my lady, I love them because of their tear drop appearance and is a stylish and functional addition to the shape of the RT. I also use a small 2" round convex mirror that are mounted on the OEM mirrors, and give me better 'blind spot' visibility.

As a matter of history, I have also mounted the K1200RS mirrors on my previously owned 2004 R1150RT, so I applaud your ambitions to cover your blind spots.

My advice is if you ultimately get these mounted, make sure you have coverage in all of your rear and flanking yourself 45 degrees on both sides.

The way I position mine are: High mirrors are directly behind me making sure I can see the edge of my textile jacket. The OEM mirrors are wider spread, and are flanking me L and R sides of me, and 2" convex mirrors are for even wider, and remember 'Items may be larger than they actually appear' when you use a convex mirror.

So there, that's my 2c worth.

Good luck and see you out there.

Jim

IBA 1000/24, 2014

IBA 1500/36, 2016

IBA 2000/48, actually very recently , 9/11/18

7041.jpg.2922869d7fc357055fa752b6eb97221c.jpg

that's a good looking mirror, nice shape to go with that RT, which is the same model I have

but I can't find it, anyone got a link?