IGNORED

KTM Shopping

Mike

Not for me, for my son. The young gent is in the market for a KTM 1290 Super Adventure S.

He's willing to fly/ride to pick one up, and there are none around these parts. Does anyone out there in BMWST land have a dealer you'd recommend? Or, an inside line on a 2017 or 2018 (leaning towards black)?

Thanks, all.

pho_bike_90_re.png

Afternoon Mike

You might try Zeigler Motorsports, Kalamazoo, MI 49048

Phone: 269.381.5800

Last KTM I bought was from them, they seemed to have a lot of KTM's in stock at that time.

Afternoon Mike

You might try Zeigler Motorsports, Kalamazoo, MI 49048

Phone: 269.381.5800

Last KTM I bought was from them, they seemed to have a lot of KTM's in stock at that time.

Thanks. Will check them out.

Try Pointview Cycle in Canfield,OH. (330) 533-9335

How about this? Super Duke

Thanks, but he's got his heart set on the Super Adventure. At 6'4", it's also a much better fit.

Thanks, but he's got his heart set on the Super Adventure. At 6'4", it's also a much better fit.

My take, after riding Whip's SA, is that you need to be 6'4" to ride one. At least the way his is set up, I could barely get one toe down at a stop, and I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam.

lawnchairboy

170+ HP. bunch of videos wheeling in 4 gears. Their motors are from another planet. I rode a 1290R about a year ago, it took about 2 seconds for all the "anti-stupid" control lights to come on the dashboard. Amazing motors.

I looked at the R model with him yesterday (no S versions available nearby), and I agree on the sizing--you need to be tall to make it work. I could flatfoot the bike, but that's about it. It's not actually much different than my RT with the Russell saddle in that respect.

Anyway, it looks like he may have found the winner. He ran the deal by me and it seemed very fair; hopefully no glitches when it comes time to sign on the line.

Thanks for all the help, guys. It really did help--made several calls and got in touch with owners/sales managers who were able to provide concrete numbers and commitments. I'll fill y'all in once he takes delivery (probably next week).

I just sold a Super Duke GT in February. It's not just a Super Duke R with bags. It has a lot of issues with the ESA dynamic suspension. I really ended up hating it. Just never felt comfortable on rough roads. I never had full confidence in the machine. Yes it has gobs of power, but with such a lousy suspension, who wants it? I'm back in the BMW fold with a ‘17 1200GS. Certainly less powerful, but such a great bike. Phenomenal telelever suspension and brakes. Don't miss the beast at all. Now the KTM Super Adventure and Super Duke R may be different stories. But the GT was a huge disappointment for me. But I'm happy with the GS so all's well that ends well.

Mike, Purchased my 2018 KTM 1290 Super Adventure S in April. Bought the orange one. Sold my GSA and my Dr. All I can say is it is the most amazing bike I have ever been on. Not only power 160hp, but handling also. Purchased it from Point View cycle in Canfield Ohio. What a great bunch of guys in that shop. Like stepping back in time in their shop. Nothing fancy, no smoke and mirrors. Just a great group of guys that both ride and also race. How many shops can you walk in with a problem and have them ask if you can leave it for them then. I asked if they could either give me a ride home or give me something to ride home. (only live about 6 miles from them) they gave me a 1290R to ride home. Had parts over nighted and my bike back on the road the next day. My bike did have it's share of electrical glitches. But it seems that they have been able to get it sorted out.. My wife kept asking why am I not mad yet with the problems. She doesn't ride. Every time I am on this bike it will make you giggle like a school girl. It truly is a amazing motorcycle. I am sure you son will be amazed. P.S. the seat sucks. I think KTM thinks you should be riding standing up.

Marty

There was post not long ago in other topics discussing that several members just weren't riding the miles that they used to. I too was one of them for one reason or another. Really wanted to respond that KTM was the cure for that but I didn't. Granted the bike still has the it's new appeal but it really is amazing.

Marty

Every time I am on this bike it will make you giggle like a school girl. It truly is a amazing motorcycle. I am sure you son will be amazed. P.S. the seat sucks.

HAHAHA......that right there is every conversation I've ever had about my Buell. Grinning so much that my face hurts almost as bad as rear end......worst seat ever.

Mike, Purchased my 2018 KTM 1290 Super Adventure S in April. Bought the orange one. Sold my GSA and my Dr. All I can say is it is the most amazing bike I have ever been on. Not only power 160hp, but handling also. Purchased it from Point View cycle in Canfield Ohio. What a great bunch of guys in that shop. Like stepping back in time in their shop. Nothing fancy, no smoke and mirrors. Just a great group of guys that both ride and also race. How many shops can you walk in with a problem and have them ask if you can leave it for them then. I asked if they could either give me a ride home or give me something to ride home. (only live about 6 miles from them) they gave me a 1290R to ride home. Had parts over nighted and my bike back on the road the next day. My bike did have it's share of electrical glitches. But it seems that they have been able to get it sorted out.. My wife kept asking why am I not mad yet with the problems. She doesn't ride. Every time I am on this bike it will make you giggle like a school girl. It truly is a amazing motorcycle. I am sure you son will be amazed. P.S. the seat sucks. I think KTM thinks you should be riding standing up.

Marty

Lots of positive reviews of the bike. His will be ready for pick up sometime in the next couple of days. I have test-sat on the R, not the S, and it seemed that it was definitely not an all-day seat.

Mike, I'll run crowd control with this one! ;) Hurry up with the real deal, please! :rofl: That's Bad to the Bone right there! :thumbsup:

2017-ktm-1290-super-adventure-s-3.jpg

Pat

Sorry guys, I've only been on here for about 17 years. Have no idea how to post a pic. If I can send someone them maybe they can post them.

Marty

It has to be said. This thread will be useless without pics!

Expected to be ready for pick up by tomorrow (though we all know how that can go) and likely to be in his hands by early next week.

It happened! Obligatory dealership/thumbs up photos:

IMG_4160-M.jpg

IMG_4164-M.jpg

IMG_4168-M.jpg

Easy folks to work with, who gave him an excellent deal. Alex is pretty darned pleased . . . and his Old Man is a little jealous. :shake:

Flat footed with knees bent, that's almost as impressive as the bike itself! :grin: Good luck, it's a beauty! :thumbsup:

Pat

:grin: :grin: :grin:

You're right! It helps to be a big 'un. He's 6'4" or so, so the ergos work well for him.

It's a super nice bike.

My take, after riding Whip's SA, is that you need to be 6'4" to ride one. At least the way his is set up, I could barely get one toe down at a stop, and I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam.

I'm 6' 1". I bought Whip's SA. It fits me fine. I've put 20k miles on it in a little under two years. Great bike.

I'm 6' 1". I bought Whip's SA. It fits me fine. I've put 20k miles on it in a little under two years. Great bike.

It is a great bike, he threw me the keys and said have fun not long after getting it. I'm 5'8" and while I wouldn't be comfortable in the technical stuff (although ridden bigger bikes offroad), it wasn't a problem on the road. I did do some slow speed maneuvers on dirt standing on the pegs and found it had great balance. The only problem (conundrum) for me was the ridiculous amount of power, it would be frustrating not to use it and irresponsible if I did and likely would've eventually led to trouble in one form or another : )

IMG_1611-L.jpg

IMG_1625-L.jpg

Nice!

I'm not sure how he has it set up now, after a few days of riding it, but I urged my son to initially use the Rain mode...until he was used to the SA's power. He did, and still told me it was crazy fast.

3rd gear (might've been 4th but I believe it was 3rd) was crazy, 70-110 in a nanowhatever and it wasn't done yet. The top three gears were almost redundant or maybe there for interstellar stuff.

I had an Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200 for awhile that was just plain scary, I left it in rain mode all the time except on very rare occasion when a little devil appeared on my shoulder : )

I bought my 1290SAR back in february. I chose the R over the S because of the stories I read about the electronic suspension. I don't mind adjusting mine manually

The bike certainly is tall. I'm 6' with a 34" inseam and tippy toe the bike around. it has insane power and great brakes, (thank god) and the balance is amazing.

certainly a fun bike.

IMG_3893-L.jpg