IGNORED

After Market Exhaust Systems

NumbHands

So, I'm walking towards the outdoor concert venue Friday night, here in Carlsbad, CA, and I pass of row of three motor officers sitting on their wetheads and chatting. I noticed that ALL of them had been fitted with Akropovic mufflers. Of course, I feigned outrage and professed my indignation at using my tax dollars to hot rod their rides! They claimed it was necessary to catch the bad guys. Did they notice my carting of a growler of home brew? It was good for a laugh.

Seriously, any experience among members here with these or other after-market noise makers on wetheads? My previous ride had a Renkus (and a performance chip), but I never rode it with the stock pipe. Is the performance improvement noticeable on wetheads with the Akropovic? Signifcantly?

Michael

Somebody had tax dollars to waste. Slight gains in performance on paper only, real world bad guy chasing, nothing.

Pat

Whoever did the ordering, a Lt, or the Motor Sgt. did some fast talking, or was just left to order the bikes because no one else knew anything about motorcycles .

It may come out in the wash someday, but if the city got grant money to purchase the bikes, no one will make a fuss.

If no grant money, just city funds, then if someone complains, then whoever ticked the box may get a nasty-gram .

Edited by Tri750

I picked up a used Akrapovic slip-on cheap and installed it on my '18 RT. I was expecting only a bit more aggressive growl and that's what I got. Nothing more. Maybe a few pounds saved. I have seen a complete header system that would probably be compatible with most any slip-on that advertises a 20 HP increase. I have concerns about warranty and mapping issues, but I'm hoping someone tries it out and reports their experience. Who needs variable cams anyway?

Mustang Guy

Slight improvement in top end HP and mostly power to weight savings due to less weight. In all, not a big upgrade, but after you have done all the cheap upgrades, you eventually have to start spending money like this. It is this way with any performance vehicle of any kind. You shave weight where you can, and add power where you can. Start cheapest, and work your way up to titanium bolts and carbon fiber frames.

As for these cops claiming the muffler improves their ability to chase down the bad guys it must have been at least a little tongue in cheek as a competent rider on a 600 cc sport bike likely would run away from the RT let alone an RT trying to keep pace with a liter class sport bike. More likely there was extra money in the budget for these bikes and it was a spend it, or loose it, decision. These motor cops have to ride what is provided to them and if provided an RT I would be all smiles, with either stock or Akropovic mufflers.

For the rest of us I am always amused with attempts to take a sport TOURING bike and dial up the performance to a sport bike level. With all the manufacturers offering one or more models in the sport touring segment you can find the right balance between sport and touring right off the showroom floor. But I get the desire to make your own perfect ride. If I were so motivated to make my own SPORT touriing bike it seems the path of least resistance and cost is to buy a sport bike and then add accessories to make it comfortable....As in buy this bike and put on an aftermarket saddle and maybe bar risers.

https://www.cycleworld.com/kawasakis-2018-h2-sx-se-is-most-powerful-sport-tourer-you-can-buy

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Akropovic slip-on on my ‘17 RT. It is not loud but has good tone. It is 5am neighborhood friendly which is most important to me. There is no performance increase and I've caught no bad guys since installation.