IGNORED

DeWalt Bifocal Safety Glasses

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

One very common and crappy part of aging is that over the years, your eyes have a more and more difficult time focusing at short distances. If you've made it into your forties without the need for corrective lenses, but suddenly find it's getting harder and harder to read the fine print, well, welcome to the club: I now carry cheap reading glasses with me wherever I go.

But it's hard to integrate reading glasses into your workshop. After all, cheap reading glasses are NOT safety glasses. You can buy prescription safety glasses, but that involves seeing an optometrist to get a prescription, and then paying for custom-made safety glasses. And if all you need are reading glasses, that's a lot of hassle and expense. You can get "coverall" safety glasses that fit over your reading glasses, but this is clunky and clumsy.

There's a better solution. Last month I found These safety glasses by DeWalt:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=6958&filename=DeWalt%20Bifocal%20Safety%20Glasses.jpg

For the most part, these are ordinary ANSI Z87.1 safety glasses, but if you look down at the bottom of the lens in that picture, you'll see a small area that looks...different. That's the corrective lens that's been molded right into the whole protective lens. What this means is that for most of your work (e.g. grinding away on a belt sander, or mounting a tire), your vision is uncorrected, but when you are looking down (e.g. when reading your bike's service manual, positioning a center punch, or measuring/marking something), the corrective lens does its thing. It's a great combination.

I bought two pairs for myself, one at 1.5 diopters for general work, and another at 3.0 diopters for really close-up work (for really really closeup work, I recommend an Optivisor, which utilizes prismatic lenses so you can see at short distances without going cross-eyed). Very happy, highly recommend them, would get them again.

6958.jpg.2051e7292f41228c707cbb33e88de445.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Not DeWalt, no need to buy the yellow name, but I brought this up some time ago. I'm fortunate that my company provides bifocal safety glasses free. I wear a set while riding because I'm shield up most of the time. For home work stuff, I just get consumable throwaway glasses to use until fully scratched up.
  • 2 weeks later...