IGNORED

1100RT cutting out when warm

stevooo7uk

Hello all,

New to the forum and hoping someone can help.

I have a 95 1100rt and it has a cutting out fault after about 6 miles when on the road, it will sit and idle all day long but as soon as I take it out the road it will begin to loose power/ back fire and splutter to a hault??

I did suspect the coils were at fault so replace it and although the bike runs a bit sweeter it still has the same fault??

After leaving the bike for 10mins it will start up and run no problem and then after a few miles the same fault occurs??.... I am assuming its an electical component heating up and breaking down once hot.

Any advice?

Have you looked at fuel flow? The in tank fuel hose could be split. The fuel filter could be blocked, The tank could have some water in it. There could be corrosion on the fuel tank interface plate causing a restriction.

Hello all,

New to the forum and hoping someone can help.

I have a 95 1100rt and it has a cutting out fault after about 6 miles when on the road, it will sit and idle all day long but as soon as I take it out the road it will begin to loose power/ back fire and splutter to a hault??

I did suspect the coils were at fault so replace it and although the bike runs a bit sweeter it still has the same fault??

After leaving the bike for 10mins it will start up and run no problem and then after a few miles the same fault occurs??.... I am assuming its an electical component heating up and breaking down once hot.

Any advice?

Morning stevooo7uk

That time frame to failure could also point to the o2 sensor. So try removing the CCP (it's in the fuse box) then riding the bike to see if your problem goes away.

Andy covered the possible fuel problems so you might remove the fuel return hose, plug off the hose end coming from the front, point the return hose coming from the rear into a container, then run the fuel pump. You need to see a steady fuel stream coming from that return hose coming from the rear with fuel pump running. If you don't have that fuel return flow then you have a problem inside the fuel tank (like a split or hole in the U shaped high pressure hose)

Also, if your bike has a fuel nanny or Techlusion on it you need to unplug it from the R/H fuel injector connection & unplug it from the o2 sensor connection then ride the bike to see if your problems goes away (some of the early Techlusions could get moisture in them & cause a problem like you are seeing)

lVjFALS.jpg

Clogged vent tube? Ride around with your tank open and see if it happens. or open your tank after it happens and see if that fixes it.

How about the HES? Did you happen to wash it before this happened? Does the tach go crazy when it occurs? Both indicators of a HES problem.

Clogged vent tube? Ride around with your tank open and see if it happens. or open your tank after it happens and see if that fixes it.

How about the HES? Did you happen to wash it before this happened? Does the tach go crazy when it occurs? Both indicators of a HES problem.

Morning Jim

A plugged tank vent won't stop a plastic fuel tanked bike in 6 miles, the fuel pump is inside the tank & it can push well over 40 psi out of the tank (it isn't like an external fuel pump, or a gravity feed system that can vacuum lock at 18" of vacuum). That high pressure pump will just suck the sides of the plastic tank in until it crushes the fuel sender tube.

Morning Jim

A plugged tank vent won't stop a plastic fuel tanked bike in 6 miles, the fuel pump is inside the tank & it can push well over 40 psi out of the tank (it isn't like an external fuel pump, or a gravity feed system that can vacuum lock at 18" of vacuum). That high pressure pump will just suck the sides of the plastic tank in until it crushes the fuel sender tube.

Thanks for the info.