IGNORED

Knuckleheads tour New England

ltljohn

Three knuckleheads ltljohn, Matts12GS and Jonathan took a tour of New England recently, here is their story...... It starts with Jonathan riding up from Jax Florida on Tuesday and then meeting me in PA on the way to Matts in CT on Wednesday. We all met and spent the night at Matts (you have to try and get him to make you some smoked brisket tacos sometime) We took off Thursday morning and headed north through Mass and in to NH with a side trip to get some riding in Vermont. Stopped and had lunch in Lincoln NH. From there we headed up the Kancamagus Highway from Lincoln to Conway.

Some of the scenery

20180816_151600-L.jpg

After that we headed to Augusta ME for the night. We had planned a scenic route but side trips had us cut the route short..

When we left Augusta Friday morning we headed north to Medway ME to pick up RT11. This included 130 miles of I-95, if you have to ride slab this is a good one, fairly new pavement, beautiful scenery, no traffic and 70-75 mph speed limits. RT 11 is about 130 miles to FT Kent the stretch below Sherman runs along the Penobscot river for a great twisty ride even though it is a bit rough in places. From Sherman to Ft Kent this is one of the best roads I have ever ridden. It has smooth pavement, big sweepers, great viewsand almost no towns or houses. At one point we went about half an hour without seeing another vehicle going in our direction. There is one 2 mile stretch just below Eagle Lake that is dirt while they build a climbing lane for trucks but it is supposed to be done this fall. Augusta to Ft Kent

Ft Kent is the northern end of US1 They have a nice marker. That is Canada in the background

20180817_150228-L.jpg

20180817_131844%5B1%5D-L.jpg

20180817_131903-L.jpg

After Ft Kent we continued south on US1 to Madawaska to Four Corners Park

20180817_161618-L.jpg

We ended our day in Houlton ME. One other thing we discovered is as you travel US1 along the border areas your phone is just a likely to connect to a Canadian cell tower as a U.S.one so be careful of the roaming charges.

On Saturday morning we took off in light rain for Lubec ME and Quoddy Head State Park the easternmost point in the U.S.

About an hour in to the day I found out my trusty rain suit that kept me dry in 700 miles of rain going to and from Wisconsin for the UN had sprung a leak in the seat and I now had water dripping in to my right boot. 56 degrees and raining this day could have been better.

20180818_141237-L.jpg

20180818_142224-L.jpg

20180818_142202-L.jpg

After we left the lighthouse we made our way back to Augusta for the night It stopped raining and warmed in to the high 60's-low 70's. We had a nice fancy hotel room with a gas fireplace, I bet they didn't put it there to have wet moto gear spread all around in front of and hanging on it, but it worked just fine.

I grew up in Augusta so this gave me a chance to meet up with my oldest friend, we go back the the first grade. even better I was able to spend some time with MOM! 99 and still going

20180819_110012-L.jpg

We all slept in late Sunday morning, I visited with mom and matt relaxed. Jonathan left the group to go visit an old friend about an hour away and he headed back to FL from there.

Matt and I headed back to his place in CT.

My ride home Monday was nice and peaceful except for the backup at the I-84 bridge over the Hudson 4 miles of 5MPH too slow idle along and too fast to stop my left had was killing me.

I put in about 1800 miles and had a great time riding with friends both old and new.

I am sure Matt will chime in here and add a few pictures.

One last thing that I will always remember is traveling down US1 toward Lubeck in the rain and hearing Matt in my headset "OH S@#$ PAVEMENT ENDS" there is a mile of so stretch being rebuilt just north of Lubeck that is very poorly marked until you are right on top of it.

Ride Well

ltljohn

Lone_RT_rider
One last thing that I will always remember is traveling down US1 toward Lubeck in the rain and hearing Matt in my headset "OH S@#$ PAVEMENT ENDS" there is a mile of so stretch being rebuilt just north of Lubeck that is very poorly marked until you are right on top of it.

John, I know those "Oh $*&!" moments well. I have had a few of those myself. The one that comes to mind was in Southern Utah.... all I heard was "Oh $@, is that a cop?" :jaw:

Great write up! Thanks for sharing. :)

Great story, thanks for taking the time to share. Also glad you were able to escape your demanding schedule to get out and put some miles on. I know that had to feel great! :thumbsup::clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Great story and pics. Oddly, my daughter spent a night in that lighthouse about 3 weeks ago. The keeper is a former Coastie. I plan on visiting next year.

• 3 weeks later...