IGNORED

02 1150 rt - fuel gauge stopped working after other repairs

oilhead1100s1150rt

oilhead1100s1150rt

Good Day, hoping to get some help around my fuel gauge. I just finished a few projects and after complete assembly, fuel gauge shows no bars and temp gauge seems to be reading on the low side. Low fuel level warning light does work, showing some type of float level communications. Since I had the fuel filter and float out of the tank, could the float be bent in such away it is not reading any fuel in the tank at all? But why did the low level warning light come on, and then go out after I filled the tank? Why would the temp side of gauge also be acting up?

Here is what did:

1- ABS module replacement

2- SS brake line replacement

3- Fuel filter - in tank replacement

4- Air filter replacement

Thanks for any response and guidance,

Dave

Good Day, hoping to get some help around my fuel gauge. I just finished a few projects and after complete assembly, fuel gauge shows no bars and temp gauge seems to be reading on the low side. Low fuel level warning light does work, showing some type of float level communications. Since I had the fuel filter and float out of the tank, could the float be bent in such away it is not reading any fuel in the tank at all? But why did the low level warning light come on, and then go out after I filled the tank? Why would the temp side of gauge also be acting up?

Here is what did:

1- ABS module replacement

2- SS brake line replacement

3- Fuel filter - in tank replacement

4- Air filter replacement

Thanks for any response and guidance,

Dave

Afternoon Dave

Did you plug the fuel level sender wire pig tail back into the fuel pump pass through inside the tank when you reinstalled the fuel pump pass through?

The ACTUAL fuel level reading is done by the fuel level sender tube, that is separate from the low fuel sensor (that is the float that you refer to).

On the temp gauge being incorrect?-- are you SURE that it isn't reading correctly? If it is for sure reading incorrectly then make sure you didn't knock the oil temp sensor connector loose (just to the right a slightly behind the alternator).

bWeGrcE.jpg

DR...is that pig tail now floating around in my tank at this point?

Afternoon oilhead1100s1150rt

I doubt it is floating but is should be in there somewhere. The pig tail comes down from the top of the fuel level tube & is possibly zip tied to the tube part way down.

It's too late now but I usually tie a string or thin wire to that pig tail as I remove it then leave the string hanging out the pump pass-through hole so I don't have to go looking for it (or forget to attach it)

Having left that pig tail loose myself, I can attest that the temp gauge will also read a little low.

I never bothered to figure out why.

Stan

oilhead1100s1150rt

perfect, that's it then. it was a few weeks in-between taking it out and reinstall....I surely have forgotten it ..... glad you saw something similar Stan...back in tomorrow. I wasn't happy with my vent lines anyway...so this snafu will let me get a new set. I see they are a bit difficult to locate.

Edited by oilhead1100s1150rt
perfect, that's it then. it was a few weeks in-between taking it out and reinstall....I surely have forgotten it ..... glad you saw something similar Stan...back in tomorrow. I wasn't happy with my vent lines anyway...so this snafu will let me get a new set. I see they are a bit difficult to locate.

Afternoon oilhead1100s1150rt

If you are referring to the in-tank vent & filler cap drain hoses then, YES, those are difficult to source in the correct size & correct fuel submersible rating.

You don't want to try to cheap out on those in-tank hoses as they pass through the fuel in the tank so if one would fail it can fill your garage with a great amount of raw gasoline.

oilhead1100s1150rt

looks like 3/16 (5mm) SAE30R10 vent lines. Not on any web site..... hope I don't have to go the dealership.

Edited by oilhead1100s1150rt
oilhead1100s1150rt

Good Day,

Are the fuel line clamps rated to be submersible? Here is what I have ordered for the pressure lines - internal to the tank.

Dorman 800-313 Fuel Line Clamp -5/8In, I have the special crimping tool as well. These are the one time usage type clamps.

Thanks for your response.

Dave

Good Day,

Are the fuel line clamps rated to be submersible? Here is what I have ordered for the pressure lines - internal to the tank.

Dorman 800-313 Fuel Line Clamp -5/8In, I have the special crimping tool as well. These are the one time usage type clamps.

Thanks for your response.

Dave

Morning Dave

No, the clamps are not rated as submersible but MUST fit & clamp the hose properly. If clamping the high pressure hoses then the clamps must be the fuel injection high pressure type clamps.

Make darn sure that you use proper fitting/retaining clamps as a poor retaining clamp on the vent or drain hose can fill your garage with raw gasoline & a poor retaining clamp on a high pressure hose can leave your bike dead & not-runnable far from home.

oilhead1100s1150rt

Yes Sir, using the clamps shipped from Boneyard that are in one of there submersible fuel line kits. All back together and seems to be running fine. Thanks for your help!