IGNORED

Triple Nickel and SR 56, Southern Ohio

MichiganBob

Hi Folks,

Spent this last weekend touring southern Ohio around Athens. What fabulous roads and friendly folks. The 555 is touted as Ohio's tail of the dragon. Comparisons are silly. We really enjoyed the entire route to Zanesville. Another road to put on your list is state road 56 from I-70 to Athens. It is one of several Hocking Hills roads that are terrific. Nice curves, smooth surfaces, and very picturesque. Should be spectacular roads to ride this fall.

Bob

I just spent 3 days in the Athens area 2 weeks ago. The triple nickel is one of my favorite rides. Not for the faint of heart with lots of blind crests and tight corners but the road surface was excellent and almost no traffic. The 536 from Hannibal, along the Ohio river to 78 is also a classic. Similar type curves but more scenic as it goes through wooded areas. Unfortunately, winter and spring weather conditions is requiring lots of repairs which slowed progress.

I rode the triple nickel in 2015 with some Canadian friends. It's curvy enough. I don't remember what roads were rough on that years ride in OH (one BMW K1200S rim a casualty), but there were a few. Photo at link below and for some reason I'm easy to pick out in the lineup in my lime green jacket!

Edited by sardineone

They must have put some money into the roads down there since 2015 because all the roads we road were well surfaced.

Fun roads for sure. Way back in 2001 or 2002 I took a trip to ride 555 and found road surface to be good to not so good. I came up over one of those

blind hills at a good clip only to find 200 yards of deep gravel on the other side :P I saw no warning signs before hand. Very exciting time!!

Zooming between house and barns on that road made for extreme caution. Never knew what you would find at the last second,

dogs, cows, cow pies,tractors, people. A very nice area to ride.

They must have felt your pain mrzoom because the road last week was nothing like what you found 16 years ago. There are new asphalt sections throughout. That being said, the 555 goes through rural Ohio so caution is definitely wise. It's not like the Dragon where there are no houses or intersections, A different type of beast.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm doing some of the Windy9 routes (www.windy9.com) this weekend on my R90s.

Can't wait.

RPG

I had a very good ride yesterday based on the Pomeroy Dash. Old SR33 is a little rough on the north end but is really nice once you cross into Meigs county. They are just finishing repaving most of SR143, so the pavement is perfect with just a little bit of scattered gravel. Like many of the roads that follow valley bottoms, the curves flow very nicely. I'll probably go back next year so I can spend more time in Pomeroy, it has the look of an old river town.

Edited by lkraus
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a great trip. The R90s performed flawlessly, as I would expect.

Highlights include the Triple Nickel Diner in Chesterhill, and the M&M Diner in Logan,

Going back in a few weeks to see the fall colors.

RPG

We stopped for dinner at the Old Town Diner in Laurelville. They has an excellent Friday night Rib Eye special. Liked the place so much we stopped for breakfast on the way back to Michigan and enjoyed that as well.

• 3 weeks later...

my .02 ... the SE Ohio area is rich with great roads with not a lot of traffic. For several years the club I used to belong to would make the trip down from Michigan Memorial Weekend and set up base camp at the Quality Inn in Marietta. We'd plan in advance different routes sometimes venturing into West Virginia or Kentucky. We always hit Rt 555 either on the way down or on the way back to Michigan. It was resurfaced a couple of years ago. We'd get dinner at The Boathouse BBQ in Marietta. Another good run is Rt 26 from Marietta up to Woodsfield, it has a couple of covered bridges.