IGNORED

2008 R1200GS Questions

twilmotte

I've just sold my 2009 R1200RT to a fellow BMWST forum member … we're both happy! Now I'm considering buying a 2008 R1200GS with almost 30,000 miles on it. I was comfortable doing my own routine maintenance (fluid changes and valve/TB adjustments) on my RT and I'm wondering what I need to be on lookout for with an '08 GS.

Questions: Are the ABS brake systems the same? No "whizzy" brakes on '08 GS? Rear brakes not linked to front? Can '08 GS ABS brakes be disabled for off road riding? Assuming mostly on road highway riding, how long are the OEM shocks on '08 GS likely to last before I need to replace with Ohlins? Does the '08 GS have that crappy fuel strip design (that I've had to replace on my '09 RT three times) or a "float type" fuel level indicator? And what recalls have been issued for the '08 GS that I need to be sure have been done?

Answers to these questions and any help/information on what to look out for re: 2008 R1200GS will certainly help me make a "buy or don't buy" decision and will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Morning twilmotte

I'm considering buying a 2008 R1200GS with almost 30,000 miles on it. I was comfortable doing my own routine maintenance (fluid changes and valve/TB adjustments) on my RT and I'm wondering what I need to be on lookout for with an '08 GS.--Pretty well the very same things as things as on your 09 1200RT.

Are the ABS brake systems the same? No "whizzy" brakes on '08 GS?--Correct (well sort of anyhow)-- The 08 1200GS has the same wizzy rear that your 09 1200RT had. There were some motor brush (sticking) failures on those (both the 08 1200GS & the 09 1200RT)

Rear brakes not linked to front? --correct

Can '08 GS ABS brakes be disabled for off road riding?-- yes

Assuming mostly on road highway riding, how long are the OEM shocks on '08 GS likely to last before I need to replace with Ohlins? -- no way to tell that. Some can last a very long time & other can fail early on. You also need to define the point that YOU consider them failed. Do you consider them failed when all the oil leaks out or at the first signs of damping loss?

Does the '08 GS have that crappy fuel strip design (that I've had to replace on my '09 RT three times) or a "float type" fuel level indicator? --Yes

And what recalls have been issued for the '08 GS that I need to be sure have been done?-- There were a number of recalls, some were just service suggestions or help if it fails type things. Things like cracking rear wheel flange was the big one, fuel pump leaking possibility, possibly brake line cracking/leaking, possibly a clutch line re-route. Some update things, like fuel pump FPC, (no recall but sometimes help)-- To tell what was done, not done, or needs to be addressed then have your BMW dealer run the VIN number and tell you what has been done, or hasn't been done, or needs to be done.

Are the ABS brake systems the same? No "whizzy" brakes on '08 GS?--Correct (well sort of anyhow)-- The 08 1200GS has the same wizzy ABS rear that your 09 1200RT had. There were some motor brush (sticking) failures on those (both the 08 1200GS & the 09 1200RT)

I think DR was short a cup of coffee this morning. :java:

2006 was the last year for whizzy brakes on the RT, and I think the GS dropped them at about the same time. Max BMW fiche shows only the non-whizzy iABS Gen 2 on the 2008 GS (and the 2009 RT).

Edited by lkraus

Are the ABS brake systems the same? No "whizzy" brakes on '08 GS?--Correct (well sort of anyhow)-- The 08 1200GS has the same wizzy ABS rear that your 09 1200RT had. There were some motor brush (sticking) failures on those (both the 08 1200GS & the 09 1200RT)

I think DR was short a cup of coffee this morning. :java:

2006 was the last year for whizzy brakes on the RT, and I think the GS dropped them at about the same time. Max BMW fiche shows only the non-whizzy iABS Gen 2 on the 2008 GS (and the 2009 RT).

Morning lkraus

I did have a LOT of coffee this morning but the 2008 iABS Gen 2 brake system does use a servo assist (wizzy) rear brake apply when using the front brake lever. (most riders don't realize this)

The iABS Gen 2 system needs that rear servo pump to allow the front/rear brake linking from the front lever but still maintain an independent rear brake apply (if it didn't have the servo pump (wizzy) system for the rear then the rear caliper would need a separate set of apply pistons in the rear caliper for front and/or rear brake apply)

The iABS Gen 2 also needs that rear servo pump (wizzy) for the rear ABS to function as it uses that rear servo pump for make-up fluid during an ABS event. Front system on the iABS Gen 2 uses an accumulator but the rear doesn't have accumulation available so needs that rear servo pump. (the iABS Gen 2 only has one servo motor & pump, that is on the rear circuit only)

For anybody not believing this just run a simple test---

Put the bike on the center stand & trans in neutral-

Then use your foot (or have someone else) turn the rear wheel then squeeze the front brake lever as hard as you can (rear wheel should show no signs of braking from the front brake lever)

Now turn the ignition key to on (do not start engine)-

Now repeat the above test but only lightly squeeze the front brake lever (the rear wheel brake should instantly lock the rear spinning rear wheel with even a light front lever apply (THAT, is due to the rear servo pump & motor kicking in to apply the rear brake).

If you repeat the above test using ONLY the rear brake pedal then you should see rear wheel braking with the ignition switch either "on" or "off" as the rear brake is all hydraulic, (except) during a ABS event in which case the rear servo pump kicks in to maintain rear available fluid to replace the ABS dumped fluid presure.

The BMW iABS Gen 2 rear brake is a kind of a strange system as the rear brake apply is an either/or (my words) type system. There is a crossover valve in the rear braking circuit that only allows for one rear brake input at a time & that defaults to the highest pressure.

So if a rider uses the front brake lever to stop the motorcycle & the front brings the rear servo pump on at 100 psi rear servo pressure THAT is the rear braking pressure. Now if the rider also steps on the rear brake pedal but only adds 75 psi rear braking pressure that just deadheads & doesn't add extra to the rear braking pressure (it just feels like it as the pedal pressure is deadheaded). Now if the rider adds more rear pedal pressure & increases the rear braking pressure to 125 psi that moves the rear valve & shuts off the front input & now the rear pedal's 125 psi is activating the rear brake, now if the rider increases the front lever (servo pump) pressure to 150 psi that again moves the rear valve & shuts off the rear pedal input & now the front (through the servo pump) is activating the rear brake at 150 psi.

Good Morning, DR

I don't doubt that Gen 2 needs and uses a pump, it's just that I've never seen anything except Gen 1 referred to as "wizzy."

Is it as noisy as the Gen 1?

Good Morning, DR

I don't doubt that Gen 2 needs and uses a pump, it's just that I've never seen anything except Gen 1 referred to as "wizzy."

Is it as noisy as the Gen 1?

Morning lkraus

No it isn't as noisy but it doesn't often run at stand still unless the rider is REALLY yanking on the front lever. Most riders aren't even aware the rear brake is servo controlled from the front lever.

Even the later I-ABS systems on the 1150 bikes didn't run the rear servo at stand still as a power saving feature.

The iABS Gen 2 brake system isn't totally trouble free though as there have been a number of reported sticking brush issues on the iABS Gen 2 (most dealer repairs require a new "expensive" ABS controller) but some mechanically inclined riders have found unique ways to get at the internal brushes to free them up (not an easy home repair though)

DR, thanks for the explanation (much of which is "over my head," unfortunately for me).

But essentially what I understand is that the ABS design and function of the '08 GS and '09 RT are nearly identical.

So, would changing out the brake fluid procedures be the same (not having to mess around with the control circuits of the "whizzy" ABS control unit)?

And during a test ride of the '08 GS, how would I know if there is motor brush sticking problem?

I liked the way the '09 ABS system functioned -- I could feather the rear brake at low speeds and stop smoooooothly. (I'd sure like to have the same feel with an '08 GS.)

Afternoon twilmotte

But essentially what I understand is that the ABS design and function of the '08 GS and '09 RT are nearly identical.--Yes.

So, would changing out the brake fluid procedures be the same (not having to mess around with the control circuits of the "whizzy" ABS control unit)?--Yes.

And during a test ride of the '08 GS, how would I know if there is motor brush sticking problem? -- You won't as it can act normal one time then the warning light could come on with the next stop. You will still have brakes just not linked or any ABS available.

I liked the way the '09 ABS system functioned -- I could feather the rear brake at low speeds and stop smoooooothly. (I'd sure like to have the same feel with an '08 GS.)-- Should feel about the same.