IGNORED

R1200ST Battery

MrMillett95

Just wondering what the ST owners are using for a battery. There really isn't much information out there. I would like something as inexpensive as possible that will last at least a couple years. Please let me know what models you are using and where you got them!

Andrew,

I installed a Yuasa YTX14H-BS in my ST in October 2012 and it's still doing fine. I keep my bike on a BMW charger in the winter, but usually don't put it on a charger once riding season starts unless I'm going out of town for several weeks.

Hi Andrew, I've had FIVE batteries (including the factory original) in the 12 years I've had my ST that has 49,400 miles at the present. I've never had a discharge indication on my dash display so it appears that the 700 watt alternator is doing its' job. In spite of that my first 2 batteries didn't last too long. Factory lasted 2 years. Second lasted 18 months. Third (a Walmart ES14BS that I filled and charged by the book) that lasted 3.5 years. My 4th was a Walmart ES14BS that lasted 4.5 years connected to a AGM compatible battery maintainer bought at Walmart. My 5th battery is a Deka EXT14 that I'm trying due to good reviews of the brand.

I used to give the battery a charge every couple of months during the Winter prior to using the battery maintainer. My battery life has improved since the AGM (not float) compatible battery maintainer has been used. I suspect too much parasitic draw on the battery even with the ignition switched off during off season.

Thanks so much for the help! I went with the Yasua battery. I was able to get a killer deal on one. Just over $50! Hope to get a good amount or years from it.