IGNORED

Tire Pressure Sensor Repair

Fleetwood

Hello Folks,

We just had new tires installed by my local shop (no BMW shop in town) and they broke the rear wheel tire sensor at the valve stem. I do not want to ride around with the warning lights flashing, and the replacement peice looks like its 233usd (haven't called my beemer shop yet for the damage in CAD)

Wondering if I am missing something here, is there an easy fix I'm not seeing. Wondering if the stem connection is available on its own?

There is a repair kit listed on the parts website but I cannot see how it could be used in my case without braising or welding on the connection.

I'll try to add pics as soon as i go learn how again

Gary

Tire Stem Pic

Edited by Fleetwood

You're correct about the repair kit. It simply contains replacement parts for mounting the sensor itself. It sounds like your tire shop needs to own up to their responsibility and buy you a new sensor.

The next thing I'll need to figure out is how to replace it, and do I need a dealer to make it talk to the bike?

The next thing I'll need to figure out is how to replace it, and do I need a dealer to make it talk to the bike?

Afternoon Fleetwood

Either a dealer or a GS-911 to get bike to recognize the new sensor. Even with a GS-911 you might have to wake the sensor up before it can be recognized.

Thanks Guys

The more I read I'm into a new sensor, and either buying a GS911, and a tire wake up wand, or a visit to the dealer.

I have not tried the bike yet, i wonder if the TPM warning will stay lit the whole time if i ride like this for a while, time may tell

Something so simple can be such a PITA, worse part might be seeing how the local shop wants to handle it.

• 2 weeks later...

After recently purchasing a 2008 GS with 2 dead TPMS sensors, I found myself in the same situation as you. Pay the dealer $233 each for parts and labor costs which put the job at about $700 or attempt the change out myself?. After much research, I found a BMW dealer in England that sells and ships factory parts in 2 days for half of U.S. BMW dealer prices. I purchased a GS911 scanner tool which can be used for many more future maintenance tasks and a "wake up" tool off of Ebay for $11. Doing the wheel and tire mounting and dismounting myself I learned some new skills and somewhat bonded with the new-to-me bike along the way. I can fully recommend this as DIY project.

• 5 weeks later...

Local bike shop was totally uninterested in accepting any responsibility for the TPS, very disappointing. Hes convinced that these things break "all the time", then proceeded to blame BMW for making them so expensive. Finally i got one jug of oil out of him, that he will write off a breakage I'm sure. Fair enough to say I will not be supporting my local shop any longer. The sad part is this was my first dealing with him, and seeing as i get tires just about every season, he losing my business, while I went to him expressly to support my local shop.

Got my self a new sensor and working getting a GS-911, so I'm going to take a hit financially but I will end up with a nice diagnostic tool.

The GS-911 (new version) is a very expensive tool, compared to the previous one.

You might be better off to grab a 2nd hand one ..maybe EBay ???

The new one will do all bikes while the old unit just bikes up to 2013. Plenty of guys that had to update their GS-911 when they purchases a Wethead (LC). So there should be plenty of the older versions around, which is all you need for your bike.

I am in the same boat. The old one is now sitting around, but it lets me help others out until all the VIN's are used up which is 10 for the enthusiast version.

• 2 years later...

So, this Saga is finally at an end...I hope!

Rode for two seasons without the rear wheel sensor, warning light on the whole time. Found a replacement sensor off eBay for 120 usd, and have had it sitting on the bench until this summer, when it was time for new tires.

So items of note, I bought a GS 911, but the sensor (as mentioned above) needed to be woken up. I tried a local car tire shop, their wake up tool had the bike in the system, but after getting home the bike still would not "see" the new sensor. I was hopeful that the eBay sensor was not a dud. So, after a brief google search, I bought a wake up tool from Amazon for 15$, and bingo the sensor was recognized by the bike. The warning light went from yellow to red...as I was now rolling with a wheel at zero pressure (sensor in my pocket).

Fate wanted me to get new tires, even though I missed 3 trips due to covid restrictions, and put a hole in the rear! (I was due for them anyway, 2 seasons and I'm done with them).

New RS3's installed (happy with them, and have a rebate from Dunlop on the way). Second set of these.

Today,  spent some time in the garage with goo gone removing the old weight adhesive, remounted the wheels, torqued and checks...with balance beads, cause I'm a wild man...and test ride!

Bingo, both wheels are now indicating pressure properly!!

Now...when is the border opening so I can go ride in west Virginia!

The Rocketman

Hey Gary,

With the extended border closing, all you have is time on your hands.

I'm guessing Lisa has found lots to keep you busy around the house.

Miss you buddy.....

Maybe we can meet right at the border and tip back a brew? Trudeau and Trump could never accuse us of crossing it, eh?

• Like 1
On 8/2/2018 at 9:22 PM, Heater_Guy said:

After recently purchasing a 2008 GS with 2 dead TPMS sensors, I found myself in the same situation as you. Pay the dealer $233 each for parts and labor costs which put the job at about $700 or attempt the change out myself?. After much research, I found a BMW dealer in England that sells and ships factory parts in 2 days for half of U.S. BMW dealer prices. I purchased a GS911 scanner tool which can be used for many more future maintenance tasks and a "wake up" tool off of Ebay for $11. Doing the wheel and tire mounting and dismounting myself I learned some new skills and somewhat bonded with the new-to-me bike along the way. I can fully recommend this as DIY project.

I would like the British dealers contacts.

Also, anyone got a GS911 for sale?  I have 2007 GSA.

Link for wake up tool?

Thank you!

• Like 1

Look in the Wethead section as there is a TPS discussion. The comment from Boxflyer has a video about installing TPS sensor and references a wake up tool. I believe I have seen it on Amazon as it is for GM and Ford but uses the same frequency as the BMW TPS units.

• Like 1
On 9/8/2020 at 7:38 PM, The Rocketman said:

Hey Gary,

With the extended border closing, all you have is time on your hands.

I'm guessing Lisa has found lots to keep you busy around the house.

Miss you buddy.....

Maybe we can meet right at the border and tip back a brew? Trudeau and Trump could never accuse us of crossing it, eh?

Someday the gates will lift!

I would have met you in VW...love that area!