IGNORED

Introduction and O2 Question

roger 04 rt

Yes, I was thinking that since lean equals heat there go the valves. That is interesting that the head temperature is actually lower than at 14.7.

Come to think of it, I have wondered how age of components might effect wethead performance over time. Two O2 sensors communicating with each other and other refinements which increase complexity all to what end? Kind of makes me yearn for a good old airhead as in "simple by choice". It's no wonder most wethead owners opt out before the warrantee expires.

There I go, showing my age again. :old:

Edited by JamesW

Can anyone comment on the injector set found here

http://injector-rehab.com/shop/1200GS-Injector-Upgrade-Adapter-Kit-for-1150-GS-1100S-NEW-Injectors-Included.html

and how they would fit into the improvements described in this thread if installed into a 2004 R1150RT.

This is an immensely interesting thread but I think I need to go back and start reading again at the beginning.

The kit here should work fine but I went with the German set. There's more detail on how they do matching and their specifications on the web site. If you use IR I recommend asking them for their matching specifications, especially how many ROMs and pulse widths they match at.

I spent the weekend riding through the very narrow, twisty, hilly roads of Cape Cod's National Seashore in Wellfleet. These aren't fast roads, but speeds between 30 and 60 mph are possible. The LC-2 at 8% more fuel (AF setting 7 or 8) creates enough torque at low RPMs that I could ride in 5th gear almost all the time during the hills and turns with the speed varying from 30 to 55–no shifting! The matched R1200 injectors have made the engine feel so smooth in that range that it's like I'm riding a bike with an automatic transmission. The pairing of LC-2 and matched R1200 injectors is great.

I also did some steady riding at high rpm. The matched R1200 injectors have resulted in a smooth engine through about 5000 RPM. By 5500 there's a slight vibration I can feel in the tank and by 6500 there is a slight vibration in the handlebars that diminishes by 7500 RPM. (I'm going to do some riding with the Harmonizer connected and see what the TB balance looks like under load.

The matched R1200 injectors initially seemed to improve starting but after a tank of fuel with time for the Motronic to remove the extra fuel, I'd say starting performance is about the same on my bike—though the warm idle of the bike is rock solid now, better than before.

Overall, I'm glad I bought the matched injectors, they've smoothed out the engine noticeably and pair well with the LC-2 which adds torque. However, if my budget only allowed for one of these options, I'd get an AF-XIED/LC-2 before the injectors. The torque improvement from lambda-shifting is terrific and the richer mixture alone reduces the engine's sensitivity to injector imbalance.

• 1 month later...

Update.

I took the matched-R1200 injectors out of the 2001GS to install later this month in my 2017 RTW. I'll post my impressions of that later.

After reinstalling the original 4-hole 1150 injectors in the GS I took a ride. The difference, if there was any, was small. I will evaluate again in the spring when I reinstall them back in the GS.

I'm not expecting much in the RTW as it has an extensive array of long term trims that should be doing a good job of correcting mismatches, but we'll see.

• 2 months later...

As I mentioned above, I removed the Tills.de matched-R1200 injectors from the R1150GS and installed them, this week, on the R1200RTW.

The installation is simple enough, the injectors can be quickly swapped by removing the lower shroud (3 screws), removing the injector cover (1 screw) and removing the injector restraint (1 screw). Total time to swap both injectors was about 15 minutes.

I reset the adaptive values using the GS-911 and then took a half hour ride. Very subjectively, the engine was smoother at all RPMs (up to 7000), with a noted feeling of better smoothness in the handlebars below 4000 RPM. Since I have no objective measure, and since this was an incremental improvement to smoothness, I can't say in any quantitative way how much smoother the engine is. Also, I have no easy way to see how closely my original injectors were (mis)matched.

The cost for an injector swap is 80 EU. I'll leave them installed for the next several months and see if it seems worth it.

Hi Roger,  That's most interesting.  Now your '17 RTW came with EV14 injectors did it not and if so then what you're saying is that matched injectors are what made the difference?  I'm surprised you could tell any difference what with two O2 sensors and advanced ECU.  The matched injectors from tills.de are EV14.

Hi Jim,

The stock injectors are EV14 and are the same Bosch part number as the tills.de replacement.

I procrastinated the swap for a couple months because I felt dual O2 sensors and the extensive trims of the BMSX. But I’d ridden with the AF-XIED on setting 8 for weeks and was used to the fairly smooth feel of the bike.

After a longer ride yesterday it’s still my sense that the engine is smoother with the matched injectors. I’ll ride a couple months and then swap back.

Hi Roger,  Would be interesting to ship your EV14 OEM injectors to tills to see if there is an extreme mismatch especially if after riding for a month or so you still think the matched pair really made a difference.  Most interesting.

I'm beginning to really appreciate my FJR although there are some maintenance items that are time consuming.  Makes me really appreciate the BMW telelever front suspension on my '93 RSL but it does give me stuff to do.

• 4 months later...
On 12/12/2011 at 3:33 PM, roger 04 rt said:

Dan, Thanks. There's no easy way to make a JPEG from a spreadsheet that I know of. I used PrtSc. In the future I'll use Alt-PrtSc. Roger

Take a screen shot using Alt+PrntScr, open MS Paint, paste - your screen print is already copied into the buffer - and then crop as much as you like. From Paint, save into a number of different file types.

roger 04 rt
21 hours ago, javadude said:

Take a screen shot using Alt+PrntScr, open MS Paint, paste - your screen print is already copied into the buffer - and then crop as much as you like. From Paint, save into a number of different file types.

Yes, your reply is to my December 2011 post. Shortly after it I started posting JPEGs from spreadsheets.