IGNORED

An email from my Insurance Co.

Endobob

I'm surprised Deal's Gap was an insurance company's #1 suggested destination, I'd guess they haven't spent much time in the parking lot.

"The Tail of the Dragon - If you love winding around curve after curve, this route is meant for you. Start on U.S. 129 in Deals Gap, North Carolina. You'll twist your way through 318 curves in 11 miles — some even banked like a race track. Add the breathtaking views of the incredible Smoky Mountains and you have a motorcyclist's dream ride."

https://tailofthedragonmaps.com/tail-of-the-dragon-deaths/

What I find interesting is with motorcycling in general shrinking and with it having more risk than insuring a car ... there seems to be more and more advertisements on TV these days for motorcycle insurance.

I'm surprised Deal's Gap was an insurance company's #1 suggested destination, I'd guess they haven't spent much time in the parking lot.

"The Tail of the Dragon - If you love winding around curve after curve, this route is meant for you. Start on U.S. 129 in Deals Gap, North Carolina. You'll twist your way through 318 curves in 11 miles — some even banked like a race track. Add the breathtaking views of the incredible Smoky Mountains and you have a motorcyclist's dream ride."

https://tailofthedragonmaps.com/tail-of-the-dragon-deaths/

Two possibilities: it was written not by a motorcyclist, but by a copy writer who googled “famous motorcycle roads;” it WAS written by a motorcyclist who is trying to funnel as many riders as possible to Deal's Gap in order to avoid increased traffic on his or her favorite road(s).

What I find interesting is with motorcycling in general shrinking and with it having more risk than insuring a car ... there seems to be more and more advertisements on TV these days for motorcycle insurance.

Perhaps they are just hoping most people will buy new bikes to put in the garage and never ride/keep insuring a bike they haven't ridden in ages because, yeah, I really should ride the Dragon at least once before I sell this bike.

If you never ride, insurance is a pretty good deal for the insurance company.

Lone_RT_rider

Don't worry, they made up for it with Michigan's "Tunnel of trees". It a very scenic ride in the fall with the color of the trees, but I wouldn't by any means call it technical. Not to mention the tourist traffic at that time of year. You might as well just get used to seeing "Winnebago" in your forward line of site.

Thanks for the heads up Shawn. I was curious as that is the only one on the list I hadn't ridden. Beartooth is hands down my favorite.

And I don't see too many winnebagos up there. :)

Lone_RT_rider
Thanks for the heads up Shawn. I was curious as that is the only one on the list I hadn't ridden. Beartooth is hands down my favorite.

And I don't see too many winnebagos up there. :)

Always a plus... :)

Joe Frickin' Friday

Don't worry, they made up for it with Michigan's "Tunnel of trees". It a very scenic ride in the fall with the color of the trees, but I wouldn't by any means call it technical. Not to mention the tourist traffic at that time of year. You might as well just get used to seeing "Winnebago" in your forward line of site.

There's also the fact that a lot of it is only one lane wide, despite the two-way traffic. Here's a sample.

+1

There's also the fact that a lot of it is only one lane wide, despite the two-way traffic. Here's a sample.

I am used to roads like that. I ride Ken's routes!