BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#1017139 - 08/15/18 09:44 PM Re: How to improve when you're having a off day [Re: Indy Dave]  
Bill_Walker Offline
Bill_Walker  Offline

San Marcos, CA USA
Originally Posted by Indy Dave
And that's why in many of my videos, I include real world happenings like shown here in the first 20 secs:

D'oh!!

So, how long did it take you to figure out you'd forgotten to put your glove back on? And was it before or after it blew off the tank bag? And in hindsight, it's easy to think that stalling the bike ought to have led you to ask yourself "What's different here?", but that seldom happens in the heat of the moment.

Because I don't need them for distance vision, I've forgotten to put my glasses back on a few times after putting on my helmet (although it's been a few years). Luckily, I always hang them in a relatively secure place on the bike, so I've never lost them.

Northern San Diego County ("North County" to locals)
'15 R1200RT
'12 Kawasaki KLX250S
'04 R1150RT (gone)
'02 Suzuki V-Strom (gone)
#1017151 - 08/15/18 11:43 PM Re: How to improve when you're having a off day [Re: Bill_Walker]  
lkraus Offline
lkraus  Offline

Central Ohio
Originally Posted by Bill_Walker
So, how long did it take you to figure out you'd forgotten to put your glove back on? And was it before or after it blew off the tank bag? And in hindsight, it's easy to think that stalling the bike ought to have led you to ask yourself "What's different here?", but that seldom happens in the heat of the moment.

I experimented with using my phone as a GPS, but it did not respond consistently to gloves and I was stopping frequently to adjust the settings. My understanding of the app was still poor, so I ended up riding in ten mile loop, which proved to be fortunate. About the time things started looking familiar, I came upon a glove in the middle of the lane, and thought "Someone lost a motorcycle glove, it looks a lot like mine. Oh....wait." The other glove was still on the tank near the speaker.

Larry
2006 R1200RT
#1017169 - 08/16/18 08:52 AM Re: How to improve when you're having a off day [Re: lkraus]  
Francois_Dumas Offline
Poldergeist
Francois_Dumas  Offline
Poldergeist

Umbria, Italy
Originally Posted by lkraus

I experimented with using my phone as a GPS, but it did not respond consistently to gloves and I was stopping frequently to adjust the settings. My understanding of the app was still poor, so I ended up riding in ten mile loop, which proved to be fortunate. About the time things started looking familiar, I came upon a glove in the middle of the lane, and thought "Someone lost a motorcycle glove, it looks a lot like mine. Oh....wait." The other glove was still on the tank near the speaker.

rofl rofl

Francois 'Navman' Dumas
'17 1200GSLC
'07 1200GS - sold
'04 1150RT - sold
Francois' Blog,
EuropeRides.com
#1017175 - 08/16/18 12:30 PM Re: How to improve when you're having a off day [Re: Bill_Walker]  
Indy Dave Offline
Indy Dave  Offline

Indianapolis
And that's why in many of my videos, I include real world happenings like shown here in the first 20 secs:

D'oh!!

Because I don't need them for distance vision, I've forgotten to put my glasses back on a few times after putting on my helmet (although it's been a few years). Luckily, I always hang them in a relatively secure place on the bike, so I've never lost them.

I guess its a good thing I didn't include the footage of my daily routine of putting in my contacts each morning as I ride to work.

Good questions, Bill.

1. I generally try to be all set when the kick stand goes up. We had stopped for lunch, and about 5 miles into the ride, I tried to activate music with my Sena. But as happens at times, it wasn't playing well with my phone. So what happened was, I removed my glove, which sticks wonderfully on my RKA tank bag and fished out my phone and activated the music player. And I did all of that on the lonely road with the help of reduced speed and cruise. The clip you saw does not show the entire sequence, and I should have left it out as it's been quite the shiny object distraction.

2. The stalling of the fully loaded bike on a inclining road was fully 10 days after the day I felt I was having an off day.

BTW, on my videos in the description (along with the music credits), I try to include a google maps link to show the road and area. [and the dates]

Does anybody read that stuff? wink

Maybe they should? old

Last edited by Indy Dave; 08/16/18 12:32 PM.

Workin' Them Angels . . .overtime
06 R12RT

Bumbling BackRoad Ridersâ„¢

The point of the journey is not to arrive...

#1018128 - 08/30/18 03:28 PM Re: How to improve when you're having a off day [Re: Twisties]  
Bud Offline
95% of an RT
Bud  Offline
95% of an RT

Southern Illinois
Originally Posted by Twisties
I am concerned by what you say about the other rider throwing you off. Drop back and catch up, or pass, but always ride your ride.

I still remember the time I tried to stay with a more experienced rider and realized that I needed to wick it down a couple of clicks. I wasn't skilled enough to keep up. Plain and simple. Hard to do. What startled me was the voice in my helmet (mine) screaming "Lean, Lean, Lean" as I was watching the wood post/steel guard rail rather than where I wanted to go. dopeslap

Last edited by Bud; 08/30/18 03:29 PM.

95% of an RT.

I haven't had too many Beemers, I just don't have enough time.
#1018131 - 08/30/18 03:43 PM Re: How to improve when you're having a off day [Re: Bud]  
sardineone Offline
sardineone  Offline

Indiana, USA
I have lots of experience riding with some awesome riders. Not a bad place to be just like learning tennis from a better player, but I always stay in my comfort zone. Bad days staying in ones' comfort zone will be the best option even if it seems well off your best days when you feel in your zone. In most company I think I wouldn't be considered a slow rider, but I have let a faster rider by on a 650 single BMW on my 1200ST. His comfort zone was higher than mine on that road that day. We both got to enjoy the road that day without any mishaps! clap

PS. Awesome video of Beartooth Pass Dave!

Last edited by sardineone; 08/30/18 03:49 PM.

You are what you have ridden!
-------------------------------------------------
George Martin
R1200ST(ESA equipped)
#1018614 - 09/07/18 01:17 AM Re: How to improve when you're having a off day [Re: Indy Dave]  
Green RT Offline
Green RT  Offline

Guadalajara, México
…
2. Can we also acknowledge that group riding is by definition, a compromise?
…

I haven't spent much time riding in groups, maybe three group rides in 60 years of motorcycling. And maybe another three trips where there was one other bike with me. I find the distraction of even one other rider detracts from both my safety and my enjoyment of riding. And riding with a group multiplies the danger and distraction immensely. Given how frequently I see groups of riders versus lone riders, I suspect my opinion is not a common one.

Last edited by Green RT; 09/07/18 01:17 AM.

Will

2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue (current)
1999 R1100RT Tundra Green
1987 R100RT Grey
1970 R60/5 Black w/white pin stripes
196? Honda 305 Super Hawk
195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3