IGNORED

Did I do this wrong?

Twisties

Mounted a Dunlop RSIII on the rear and it took 3 oz. to balance. 90k miles on this bike and I don't think I've ever gone over 1.5 oz before. You can see the dot more or less lined up with the valve stem. I recall there is some kind of limit for how much balancing weight. Am I over? Is this a problem or merely an oddity?

Also, I can't find anything on Dunlop's site as to where the dot should be, but everything I see on Google says at the valve stem.

i-S6Pb9pj-X3.jpg

I am probably wrong about this, I read the red dot at valve stem, but I think the yellow is opposite of the heavy part of the wheel.

If it's not too much trouble, I would rotate it 180 degrees.

Each manufacturer has a different method, including Michelin that doesn't have any dots.

Mounted a Dunlop RSIII on the rear and it took 3 oz. to balance. 90k miles on this bike and I don't think I've ever gone over 1.5 oz before. You can see the dot more or less lined up with the valve stem. I recall there is some kind of limit for how much balancing weight. Am I over? Is this a problem or merely an oddity?

Also, I can't find anything on Dunlop's site as to where the dot should be, but everything I see on Google says at the valve stem.

Evening Twisties

You didn't do it wrong but you might not be done yet (depends)

Max recommended balance weight is 80 grams (just under 3 ounces) so you are right there for max added weight. You can leave it as is or you might try rotating tire 180° then see what your balance offset is.

I usually break that much weight up a little & space the weighting out over a longer span as I seriously doubt that your wheel or tire is only out of balance in that exact location.

That tire match dot only works if the OEM rim was spun for balance then the valve stem hole drilled in the correct location (most manufacturers don't spend the time or money to do that any longer so who knows where the heavy or light spot is on wheel).

While it's my understanding that the mark on the tire indicates the light spot, the heavy spot on the wheels of both my R1200RTs has not been at the valve stem location. I locate it on the balancer before mounting the tire, mark it, and then install the tire.

Edited by aggieengineer