IGNORED

2018 gs buying suggestion

rodantking

I have my heart set on adding a 18 gs to the stable. Right now they have 1500 off for cash deals and the dealer is offering another 500. That deal ends at the end of the month. As everyone ready knows there is a new 1250 for next year. For those of you that have watched bmws incentives of the years, where might this pricing land as winter digs in. I have a had time believing it's not going to get better after the 1250 is officially released next month. As slow as they have been to make it so you can even order the 850gs (a bike that was said to shipping 4th quarter), I wonder how late the 2019 might show up. If they know they are behind the 8 ball, incentive might not get to aggressive.

If you want an '18 GS, go for it. IMO a 1250 with VVT isn't coming this fall. I base this on no special knowledge whatever. I could be wrong! Bikes are like any other tech these days (it's rideable tech but still...) - there's all kinds of whizbang features coming in the next model so why not hold off a month or 15 and get it? My answer centers on immediate gratification - I'd rather ride what's available now than sit around waiting for something that's coming in the unspecified future.

Besides, everybody knows that buying a first-year model BMW is foolish.

There will always be a better deal.

Has to be, will happen, no matter when you buy.

So?

BMW will offer incentives until they don't.

I remember the R 1100 S time when they knocked about $3k off late in fall season right after I sold a few to friends.

:eek:

They couldn't believe the dealership had no prior knowledge.

Heck, sometimes we found out after customers (at least back then).

All those bikes I sold dropped another huge chunk of value in a month.

But, everyone loved riding them.

You wait, maybe save $ome money.

And ride when?

Or move forward and enjoy.

I think it is a game you cannot knowingly win.

If you like the bike and the deal- go for it now, and ride it this season...

(your profile does not show where you live. if is in the South or West you can ride all year. if you are in a place where it lays-up- that is different)

and... if a 50cc larger engine is important to you... wait.

IMHO- this is a game you cannot actually win- except to like the bike you have.

If you want an '18 GS, go for it. IMO a 1250 with VVT isn't coming this fall. I base this on no special knowledge whatever. I could be wrong! Bikes are like any other tech these days (it's rideable tech but still...) - there's all kinds of whizbang features coming in the next model so why not hold off a month or 15 and get it? My answer centers on immediate gratification - I'd rather ride what's available now than sit around waiting for something that's coming in the unspecified future.

Besides, everybody knows that buying a first-year model BMW is foolish.

I'm in utah. My dealers show room looks like June in there. It's packed full. He claims he is the number one gs dealer in a he country. All I know is if bmw cuts incentives he would be in a bad place. There isn't much riding here from December though March. That said it would be nice to break in a bike in this fall and get I good idea of what needs to done to it to make it mine over the winter.

I really don't want to play the 2019 1250 game. There is nothing wrong with the 1200. I'm sure the vvt will be an upgrade, but I just don't see much else making it to this bike. It seams bmw gave us a good look at the other bits this year. New transmission, ttf, update lean angle tc and abs, revised electronic suspension. If this is true for the most part, you are getting a new moter and frame (with nearly identical specs for the frame) and updated bodywork. All enough changes to make almost every aftermarket piece not fit. A new assembly line and a vender list that most certainly received a shakedown.

Long story short I'm with you. I want a 1200 let the 1250 cook for a few years and reconsider . That said 2000 of a bike that is going to a liability for a dealer soon doesn't excite me. It not like it's 2000 of 11,000 bucks.

Really all I'm asking is historically when a new model is due (not revised) how deep do the incentives typically get and when. I'm thinking 3500 sounds about right. not sure when though. I have bikes in the garage now so to wait another month and see what happens is no big deal, but I don't want to playing a game of chick in the spring either to see how much more I can save. Lets face it, the best deal will be a used 2018 that someone is trying to dump next summer when their 2019 ships.

Edited by rodantking

"1500 off for cash deals" is BS. My local dealer has BMW incentive offering $1500 plus first three monthly payments (up to $500/ea). Veteran or first responder?, another $500.FWIW.

"1500 off for cash deals" is BS. My local dealer has BMW incentive offering $1500 plus first three monthly payments (up to $500/ea). Veteran or first responder?, another $500.FWIW.

I think if you double checked it is either or and the deal I was offered. he is also offering the 500. He is also including the first service. HE says they charge 400ish for! If I remember right that's engine and finial drive oil and retorque a few bolts. I'm not trying to cut his end. I want Them in business if I have a problem. I just think BMW is going to up thier incentives to clear product.

here is a link. it is in the fine print a the top of the page.

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/offers/limited-time-offers/apr-offer.html

Edited by rodantking