IGNORED

2017 RTW throttle lubrication

Cap

I just returned from a long trip on my RT. There were dusty conditions, and during the ride I started to notice that the throttle grip was not moving smoothly anymore. It sticks a little. I assume that this is due to dirt gumming up the operation. I would like to clean it and re-lubricate it. Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks, Cap

I was with a group where one of the rental bikes had this same issue. We found out not to use WD-40 to fix it - it will work at first but after a little while it will attract more grime and make the situation worse. Disassemble the grip and lubricate it properly.

As to the actual process of disassembly and the correct lubricant to use - sorry, I can't help. All I can tell you is that taking the LEFT switch cluster apart involves a T-9 Torx.

I had the same sticking problem. In heavy traffic it was hard to get a smooth response and fatigued my right hand more than usual. Took the throttle assembly apart and found the tube to be out of round. I wished I had taken pics so it would be easier to explain. There wasn't any dirt or grime present only an out of round tube. I did put some white grease on the shaft and filed the handle bar part a little. It is better but still has a slight drag at times. This was about 40 K miles. I didn't notice it at all on a recent trip . Now 55K miles

I had the same sticking problem.... Took the throttle assembly apart and found the tube to be out of round.

Thanks. Can you recall if there were any issues with disassembly that I should watch for? Isn't the throttle essentially a potentiometer? Are there parts going to fall out when I remove the mounting screws?

Cap

I just returned from a long trip on my RT. There were dusty conditions, and during the ride I started to notice that the throttle grip was not moving smoothly anymore. It sticks a little. I assume that this is due to dirt gumming up the operation. I would like to clean it and re-lubricate it. Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks, Cap

Afternoon Cap

Do you have a wrist rest or throttle rocker on that bike? If so then remove that then ride the bike for a while. Believe it or not the constant squeeze of a wrist rest can eventually squeeze the throttle tube in enough to give the throttle a sticking feeling.

Do you have a wrist rest or throttle rocker on that bike?

No, but your reply suggests that the out-of-round explanation from bdfbeemer might be the cause. I will take it apart and report what I discover.

Cap

Do you have a wrist rest or throttle rocker on that bike?

No, but your reply suggests that the out-of-round explanation from bdfbeemer might be the cause. I will take it apart and report what I discover.

Cap

I wonder if you could sense where it might be out of round, in situ, and with judicious use of a rubber mallet, hammer it back into round enough to improve it w/o disassembly?

• 9 months later...
RecentConvert

I too, noticed the throttle becoming a bit sticky.  I removed it and simply cleaned the dirt/grime from the inside of the tube and from the outside of the bar. I used some parafin wax to lube the obvious wear areas (paint removed from bar).  Assembled and it is smooth and light again.

FYI, after plugging in the throttle connector, it took two starts before the computer recognized the throttle again.  Its a bit disconcerting when you twist the grip and nothing happens!