BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#10200 - 04/06/04 07:24 PM Re: Hydraulic Clutch Bleed Walk-through--with pics! [Re: Ken H.]  
steveknapp Offline
steveknapp  Offline

Grayslake, IL, USA
The point( ) is to be careful when installing SB's in this application, very high strip potential

See, I'm not just a fool.

Remove the fill adapter, other than making this harder than it needs to be to get it threaded in, it serves no other purpose and comes out easily.

I love the smell of Plexus in the morning!
#10201 - 04/07/04 01:35 AM Re: Hydraulic Clutch Bleed Walk-through--with pics! [Re: steveknapp]  
steveknapp Offline
steveknapp  Offline

Grayslake, IL, USA
Here's a pict of what the clutch bleed line looks like with that fill adapter removed and the normal bleed screw in it's place. I'd use a speedbleeder instead of the BMW part. But with this setup there are no stripped threads, no ball valve to open, no need to remove anything when you're done. The whole thing works just like any ohter bleed screw.

Attached Files
325148-ClutchBleed.jpg (678 downloads)
Last edited by steveknapp; 04/07/04 01:35 AM.

#10202 - 04/07/04 01:51 AM Re: Hydraulic Clutch Bleed Walk-through--with pics! [Re: steveknapp]  
Zip Offline
Zip  Offline

Finger Lakes New York
Thanks, everyone.

I have been busy cutting and pasting this thread into a document for future reference.

The descriptions and pics will come in handy.

Zip '03 R1150RT, Silver
#10203 - 04/07/04 04:11 PM Re: Hydraulic Clutch Bleed Walk-through--with pics! [Re: steveknapp]  
Ken H. Offline
Turtle Whacks
Ken H.  Offline
Turtle Whacks

Edmonton, AB Canada
Quote:

with that fill adapter removed

Ah, yes. Missed that idea. Thought about that appoach awhile back, but didn't know if it was the same thread behind the adaptor. Throw the adaptor away = No pushing the ball, point, threading, grinding, etc., song and dance. I like!

Ken & Donna H.
Doctor – I need to learn how to relax faster.

If you want to ride tomorrow, ride quietly today.
Quiet is cool, silent is sexy.
#10204 - 04/07/04 07:51 PM Re: Hydraulic Clutch Bleed Walk-through--with pics! [Re: Ken H.]  
KMG_365 Offline
LeftSpin
KMG_365  Offline
LeftSpin

San Diego, CA
Thanks everyone for your excellent observations! (and Steve, I never thought you were a fool, quite the contrary ). I sure wish I knew before that the filler adapter could simply be removed! Can someone please explain why it is needed over a standard bleedscrew in the first place, please?? I've never seen what the BMW bleed screw looks like, I just assumed it was the same (or similar enough) as the SB. When first trying to thread the SB, I ran into the "engagement without stripping" conundrum as well. I do realize that once sealed the point doesn't matter, but I wasn't sure how far the ball check valve would be allowed to travel in the filler adapter, and I figured with the tip filed off, it would keep the ball from bottoming out on the back of the filler adapter in case the clearance was not sufficient to allow the SB to seat all the way. Heck, from now on, I'll just pull the whole damn thing and save myself some headache!

Cool_Jamie "KMG_365"
"Dry-Town" Crew, San Diego
"Maynard" "the Krebs Cycle" '03 R1150RT, black
#10205 - 04/07/04 08:11 PM Re: Hydraulic Clutch Bleed Walk-through--with pics! [Re: KMG_365]  
steveknapp Offline
steveknapp  Offline

Grayslake, IL, USA
I think the fill adapter is just that. It's for filling the system at the factory. Some R1100's had one on one of the front brake calipers as well. People often just removed it.

Just to be clear, there is NO need to replace the fill adapter. The speedbleeder, or BMW bleed screw (which is what you see in that pict) seals off just fine.

I do think the SB and the BMW screw are pretty much the same thing, both would have the same issues with the fill adapter.

I WOULD be sure to use a good flare nut wrench on that hose fitting as not to damage the hose. That and a pair of vise grips is all I needed. I thought I'd need heat, but nope, came right out.

Last edited by steveknapp; 04/07/04 08:12 PM.

#10206 - 11/24/07 03:57 AM Re: Hydraulic Clutch Bleed Walk-through--with pics! [Re: steveknapp]  
co_g30 Offline
co_g30  Offline

Centennial, CO
Quote:

Here's a pict of what the clutch bleed line looks like with that fill adapter removed and the normal bleed screw in it's place. I'd use a speedbleeder instead of the BMW part. But with this setup there are no stripped threads, no ball valve to open, no need to remove anything when you're done. The whole thing works just like any ohter bleed screw.

thanks for the pic, it helped greatly today when I did my own speedbleeder install!

1996 Ural Sportsman(Natasha)
1987 R80(Brigitta)
CO Motorcycle Travel Examiner
#914136 - 12/08/14 06:36 PM Re: Hydraulic Clutch Bleed Walk-through--with pics! [Re: co_g30]  
Alan Sykes Offline
Alan Sykes  Offline

Almeria, Spain
BMW's clutch bleeder....the Werkstück, or as they say in English, the 'factory chunk' on the end of the bleeder hose - another complete rollocks...see the sage, the redoubtable Chris Harris :

http://youtu.be/udpZPKoEH50

Otherwise a fab bike of course....
AL in s.e. Spain

This is a list of the people I'd trust with my bike
#914231 - 12/09/14 12:01 PM Re: Hydraulic Clutch Bleed Walk-through--with pics! [Re: KMG_365]  
AndyS Online
AndyS  Online

Somerset, Great Britain.
Alan you dredged this thread form the grave!

#915413 - 12/21/14 02:34 PM Re: Hydraulic Clutch Bleed Walk-through--with pics! [Re: AndyS]  
Alan Sykes Offline
Alan Sykes  Offline

Almeria, Spain
Yes Andy I did, but only because the other week I saw a Spaniard waiting by his bike in the local BMW Stealer's vast workshop whilst the techy was trying to explain to him that the Werkstück is completely redundant as soon as the bike leaves the assembly line in Berlin, but the guy wouldn't believe him ! So there are still riders out there who think that everything that BMW says about or recommends for their bike must be gospel - when often it isn't, because it's done or advised simply because it's cheaper to do so ! And when might I ask did BMW finally admit that a dry clutch on a big powerful bike is less than ideal ? Never ! Only when they redesigned the boxer motor and switched all the new R-models to a WET clutch ! !

This is a list of the people I'd trust with my bike
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3