BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#1018782 - 09/10/18 02:23 AM Re: Windscreen / Front ESA sensor errors 41769 and 41764 [Re: Fugu]  
Fugu Offline
Fugu  Offline

Vantucky, WA
I’m about to ghost ride this thing into a lake. I am
Running motor leads back to battery area and closing the bike up.

I ordered a DPDT momentary switch. Will be an easy 4 wire hookup. Will stick that toggle in the blank panel above the accessory plug where factory radio controls would be.

I’ll have to make sure to not keep pushing the switch past the mechanical limits of the motor.

I’m done with these shenanigans.

-------------------

2005 R1200RT
2000 R1150GS
#1018967 - 09/12/18 05:59 AM Re: Windscreen / Front ESA sensor errors 41769 and 41764 [Re: Fugu]  
Fugu Offline
Fugu  Offline

Vantucky, WA
Oh wise oracle of the dirt:

Can I lean on you one more time?

Do the wires I think I found sound correct?

I have the switches here and can definitely make that work. But if I cut the wires I found and use them to trigger two relays as you outline earlier I will maintain the handlebar switch functionality. I am paranoid about causing some interruption in the canbus force.

I can wire two relays normally closed to ground, so the motor leads which are already disconnected from the Zfe rest at ground. When the up switch is pressed, activate the up relay to supply + to the correct lead using the ground connection to trigger that relay. The other relay still rests at ground. Shield goes up. Reverse for the other side. I can’t describe it well but I can sort that out. I can wire that circuit no trouble

What I don’t follow is what that picture you posted is showing me with the three wires. I assume one is ground to the switch and then the switch connects either the up or down lead to it. Is that right? Do the colors I found make sense? Brown/gray and brown/ violet?

Last edited by Fugu; 09/12/18 06:03 AM.

-------------------

2005 R1200RT
2000 R1150GS
#1018974 - 09/12/18 11:50 AM Re: Windscreen / Front ESA sensor errors 41769 and 41764 [Re: Fugu]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by Fugu
Oh wise oracle of the dirt:

Can I lean on you one more time?

Do the wires I think I found sound correct?

I have the switches here and can definitely make that work. But if I cut the wires I found and use them to trigger two relays as you outline earlier I will maintain the handlebar switch functionality. I am paranoid about causing some interruption in the canbus force.

I can wire two relays normally closed to ground, so the motor leads which are already disconnected from the Zfe rest at ground. When the up switch is pressed, activate the up relay to supply + to the correct lead using the ground connection to trigger that relay. The other relay still rests at ground. Shield goes up. Reverse for the other side. I can’t describe it well but I can sort that out. I can wire that circuit no trouble

What I don’t follow is what that picture you posted is showing me with the three wires. I assume one is ground to the switch and then the switch connects either the up or down lead to it. Is that right? Do the colors I found make sense? Brown/gray and brown/ violet?

Morning Fugu

Look this schematic over (I drew it quickly while waiting for my morning meeting to start) so it needs close scrutiny yet. (ask any questions that you need to)

I show an ign switch controlled power source for the pull-in coil control power (this is so the windshield will not work unless key is on)-- You can eliminate that & power the pull-in coil side from the same battery 12v source but that will allow the windshield to move up & down without key on so any yahoo that leans on your bike could move the windshield past it's limits.

[Linked Image]

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1018997 - 09/12/18 03:42 PM Re: Windscreen / Front ESA sensor errors 41769 and 41764 [Re: Fugu]  
Fugu Offline
Fugu  Offline

Vantucky, WA
Oh to just whip up a diagram like that. Very nice, and thank you seems insufficient.

Do the brown w/ gray and brown w/ violet wires I found that ground on handlebar switch actuation appear on a wiring diagram for verification? They’d correspond to your blue and orange at bottom left and I follow the relay wiring. I’m confused by why the brown/ gray and brown/violet wires rest at positive voltage assuming they are the correct leads. Any idea what color combination the ground wire to the handlebar switch is? I may have to disassemble the switch pod to look and see. I had the bottom cover off and it is awful tight in there to try to see the third wire. I can make another run at that disassembly to see but I don’t want to tie relays to something that’s going to make the canbus angry or cut into the wrong wires.

I can get switched 12v+ from the gaps plug or the accessory plug. You think it matters which?

I messed with the motor since I have a spare and over limit without holding it for a ridiculously long time seems fairly benign. I’d assume eventually it will pull a ton of current and blow a fuse if left pressed (I’ll probably use smaller than 15a to start) but there was no grinding or slipping of the gears when I intentionally held the connection after it reached physical limits.

-------------------

2005 R1200RT
2000 R1150GS
#1018998 - 09/12/18 03:53 PM Re: Windscreen / Front ESA sensor errors 41769 and 41764 [Re: Fugu]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Oh to just whip up a diagram like that. Very nice, and thank you seems insufficient.

Do the brown w/ gray and brown w/ violet wires I found that ground on handlebar switch actuation appear on a wiring diagram for verification? They’d correspond to your blue and orange at bottom left and I follow the relay wiring. I’m confused by why the brown/ gray and brown/violet wires rest at positive voltage assuming they are the correct leads. Any idea what color combination the ground wire to the handlebar switch is? I may have to disassemble the switch pod to look and see. I had the bottom cover off and it is awful tight in there to try to see the third wire. I can make another run at that disassembly to see but I don’t want to tie relays to something that’s going to make the canbus angry or cut into the wrong wires.

I can get switched 12v+ from the gaps plug or the accessory plug. You think it matters which?

I messed with the motor since I have a spare and over limit without holding it for a ridiculously long time seems fairly benign. I’d assume eventually it will pull a ton of current and blow a fuse if left pressed (I’ll probably use smaller than 15a to start) but there was no grinding or slipping of the gears when I intentionally held the connection after it reached physical limits.

Afternoon Fugu

The wire colors in that diagram were just to keep the different circuits separated.

I'm very busy today so if you can wait until later tonight I can match the wires in that diagram to the wire colors on your motorcycle

D.R. ___
#1019003 - 09/12/18 04:39 PM Re: Windscreen / Front ESA sensor errors 41769 and 41764 [Re: Fugu]  
Fugu Offline
Fugu  Offline

Vantucky, WA
Oh No please dont feel like I’m rushing you I’m in your debt here.

It will be Saturday until I can do much on it anyhow. I’ll start making up the relays and wiring circuit on the bench if I get some time before then. Will take me a bit as I’m rusty and I’ll go slow and then bench test it before I stick it in the bike.

If you can help me identify/ confirm the 3 leads to the factory bar switch I’ll be home free. I understand your colors are just reference for the diagram.

I think the brown/gray and brown/ violet on the bike are the up and down from the bar switch but their behavior when the button isn’t pressed has given me pause. I don’t understand why they’d show 11.5v normally. Perhaps it’s “stray voltage” or something beyond my electrical acumen. They were located in the large bundle of wires from the left grip switch pod.

-------------------

2005 R1200RT
2000 R1150GS
#1019009 - 09/12/18 07:45 PM Re: Windscreen / Front ESA sensor errors 41769 and 41764 [Re: Fugu]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Afternoon Fugu

Switch is easy but maybe not.

At least the switch common is easy as the switch common is - brown/white.

My book shows the switch raise output as - brown/violet__blue/black (color might change at switch connector)

It also shows lower output as – brown/green__blue/violet (color might change at switch connector)

I don't know how robust the handlebar swich is as it is designed to control light load electronics inside the ZFE. (I guess if it doesn't hold up then you can add in a regular switch later if needed).

Also, make sure to disconnect any tie back the ZFE (like 3 sensor wires on motor) & switch output back to the ZFE.

For the relay pull-in coil power you can get that from the hot wire going to one of the accessory outlets as that will get you key-on power & also remain powered for few minutes after key-off, then it will go dead until next key-on.

D.R. ___
#1019015 - 09/13/18 12:04 AM Re: Windscreen / Front ESA sensor errors 41769 and 41764 [Re: dirtrider]  
Fugu Offline
Fugu  Offline

Vantucky, WA
Thanks again Dirtrider.

It’s possible I saw brown/ gray and it’s actually brown /green Brown /violet is one I found so that’s a good sign regarding the lift/ lower wires.

I have the plug at the actuator disconnected so there won’t be any current/ signal going back to the ZFE. Likewise I’ll cut the switch wires to isolate it from the ZFE. Seems the ground can just be left intact. I wonder if that brown white might be ground for other of the handlebar switches also and best left connected.

I would hope any switch could handle the small current to activate the relays but you’re right if it fails it will be easy to add a switch later to run the relays.

-------------------

2005 R1200RT
2000 R1150GS
#1019022 - 09/13/18 11:14 AM Re: Windscreen / Front ESA sensor errors 41769 and 41764 [Re: Fugu]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Thanks again Dirtrider.

It’s possible I saw brown/ gray and it’s actually brown /green Brown /violet is one I found so that’s a good sign regarding the lift/ lower wires.

I have the plug at the actuator disconnected so there won’t be any current/ signal going back to the ZFE. Likewise I’ll cut the switch wires to isolate it from the ZFE. Seems the ground can just be left intact. I wonder if that brown white might be ground for other of the handlebar switches also and best left connected.

I would hope any switch could handle the small current to activate the relays but you’re right if it fails it will be easy to add a switch later to run the relays.

Morning Fugu

No, you shouldn't leave the switch low (ground) connected as it doesn't go directly to chassis ground, it returns to low inside the ZFE.

D.R. ___
#1019025 - 09/13/18 01:02 PM Re: Windscreen / Front ESA sensor errors 41769 and 41764 [Re: Fugu]  
Fugu Offline
Fugu  Offline

Vantucky, WA
Thanks Dirtrider. I’ll cut it and make it a real ground.

-------------------

2005 R1200RT
2000 R1150GS
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8