IGNORED

Different Strokes

Paul De

I was at the gas station filling up my '15 RT when the guy at the next pump asked how many miles I had on the bike. Sheepishly I said about 15K thinking the model year mileage math is embarrassingly low, but figuring I could redeem my real rider credibility by noting that I bought my bike late in 2015 making my per year mileage a low respectable bar for an RT rider. His response was amazement even without getting to that detail. He commented that he was unlikely to ever put that many miles on his Road King. So at that moment I put into perspective what each of us wanted from our motorcycling experience. Then a sort of funny conversation ensued.

I have been around motorcycles from my preteen days and learned to ride in an era where most riders worked on their motorcycles and were aware of the various makes and models and their virtues. Clearly this gentleman was coming from a very different experience with a very narrow view of motorcycle riding. He then commented that the RT being a sport bike was not able to ridden far comfortably because the riders pegs were not stretched out with a laid back riding position. I assured him that the RT was very capable mileage cruncher able to crack off 500 miles days. I said the guys that are touring focused tend to put highway pegs on the RT to stretch their legs as needed but tend to keep their feet on the pegs to maximize control of the motorcycle. His eyes bugged out when I told him that with my feet under me I am able to stand like I am on a dirt bike and stretch my legs and get the load off my butt while riding, an unlikely thing to do from the cruiser riding position. I gave him the elevator pitch that HD and BMW have different intended goals based on the kinds of roads in Europe and the US and while the RT can cruise the interstate at extra legal speeds all day it is at its best on twisty back roads. He stepped back to take in this very different bike than his initial assumptions had him believe. I couldn't help myself and jumped a full court press on the versatility of the RT. His eyes bulged again on how the windscreen height was adjusted with a button and how the suspension could be adjusted for plush cruising or sporting firm and that a computer makes adjustments to the suspension and power delivery in the dynamic mode. I added that many HD riders have owned BMWs and visa versa and if the budget allows some own both. He pondered the RT for a while longer and then we parted ways.

In the end I don't believe I recruited a convert as he seemed to be a rider who wants the cache of riding a Harley and to take short rides around town on a sunny day and park it where people congregate and talk about riding, and the next chrome doodad to put on his ride. But maybe he now appreciates the existence of a broader riding experience beyond his Road King.

Oh don't feel bad I've still got less than 10K miles on my '93 R1100RSL of course those miles are all over the road miles not in town but oh well. Got 200 miles less on the '10 FJR for that matter come to think of it. Personally, I can't think of anything more miserable than say...riding a motorcycle long distances across the US in the heat of summer so why bother? I mean who needs it what with blazing heat, insects, aggressive drivers, and now smoke for mile after miserable mile! Oh, did I mention corn and more corn fields that are dusty, flat like fritters and humidity? We can't forget humidity to go along with the rest of the misery.

Well, that pretty much sums it up for me. Oh, forgot to mention motorhomes, grrrrrr..... and the angry tourists that drive them.

The Hogley guy you talked to must have forgot to mention his loud obnoxious pipes that save lives. Only thing worse might be the godawful sounds coming from some diesel powered pick-up trucks lately.

I need more coffee!

Riding to and from Colorado in the summer is no fun (for me) on a motorcycle. Couple of years ago my ridding buddy, on the way back from Ouray, stopped in Hayes, KS. The actual temp was 117.

Was I happy to be in an air conditioned Toyota truck, sure.

OTOH I've ridden from S. Illinois to Meat Cove, NS in the summer and had a really good 24 day trip.

Ride what makes you happy, don't worry about what anyone chooses to do, or not do, in regards to riding.

When Miss Nancy did her 50CC, Beth and I met her at a rest area.

While waiting a coouple of riders pulled in by my GT.

We talked, explained we were waiting and would most likely have to depart quickly when she arrived.

"So let me get this straight, she is riding from the Atlantic to the Pacific in 50 hours? Unbelievable."

When they found out it was not riding time, but running elapsed time, they were incredulous.

When they asked how far we were going and I said over to Alabama, then back, just for the fun of it,

they almost called me out.

They rode off.

About 15 mins later she rolled in, all 5' of her on a GS.

Short exchange and off we went.

Passed them about 1/2 hour later...they had eye problems as they bugged out,

but then a big smile and wave as they realized she was a determined rider and headed west.

If they heard she did it, fixing flat tire solo, and more, wonder if they could believe...

Plenty of IBA riders on this board.

Some very well celebrated and documented 50CC and 100CCC ride tales.

Hope they are securely saved in board transition.

That could be any of us. Without the influence of my older brother, I might not have known - in the 70s - that BMW made motorcycles. My good friend in the military brought his Harley to England from the States, and with the military purchase program I came awfully close to buying one in the late 80s duly influenced. That bike was beautiful. I would have had no intentions of being on it for more than an hour at a time. If not for clicking on this website a long time ago, I never would have met David E.B. Smith, who, when asked where he was riding on a particular Sunday expressed "I think I shall ride North today." Whaa? We wouldn't see him until the following month, and he would have another layer of bugs in his 'Stich. He's still involved with the IBR every time it runs.

The Hell's Angels we met in Gunnison asked where we all were riding from (we did a group SS1000). Upon hearing the various answers they thought WE were the crazy ones, and said so.

It's just the willingness to sit in one place for a long time - not much more. You just gotta like where you are going, and have the time for it, not to mention the resources and a general lack of competing interests. Some of you (looking at you LesterV) have some craaaazy miles underneath them, and the experiences and cheery outlook that is enviable.

My bikes sit more than I'd like. Hope to change that. I'd like to channel my inner Mihalka more.

Longer rides are a matter of planning and preparation. For my west to east cross country trip I had a custom seat made, foot pegs added, complete bike tune up and appropriate clothes. On board snacks, water to drink and to pour inside my gear and early daily departure timing got me through hot sun, rain and potential tornado's. Working out for overall strength and lower back, plus an industrial style back brace, and all was well. The wind in the foothills with windmill farms was the toughest part of the journey.

I was at the gas station filling up my '15 RT when the guy at the next pump asked how many miles I had on the bike. Sheepishly I said about 15K thinking the model year mileage math is embarrassingly low, but figuring I could redeem my real rider credibility by noting that I bought my bike late in 2015 making my per year mileage a low respectable bar for an RT rider. His response was amazement even without getting to that detail. He commented that he was unlikely to ever put that many miles on his Road King.

More than a decade ago, someone who worked at the HD factory in York, PA told me that the average distance/year for a Harley is around 500 miles. I don't know if he was pulling my leg or not. There are certainly many long distance Harley riders, but there are also a lot of poseurs who are only in it to look badass on a 10-mile jaunt.

Selden....you might be right...Just out of curiosity I went to EBAY and looks at the first 10 or so that showed up in my area...That average was pretty close. I feel like a mileage slug with this group as only average 5-6000 miles per year...but and it is the big but...I park the bike somewhere around July 01 until about October 01 as the heat and weather here in Houston in a bit like living in the congo… I ride pretty much October to July.

Edited by Skywagon
...I park the bike somewhere around July 01 until about October 01 as the heat and weather here in Houston in a bit like living in the congo… I ride pretty much October to July.

Haha. Typically we are escaping the ice snow and cold then... At one time I was hard core and as long as the roads were not snow and ice covered I would ride...gotten soft in my old age, maybe a bit wiser too.

I haven't put the poseur label on anyone for miles and I guess no longer even use it with suite and tie folks who convert into doo-rag bad ass on the weekend, but they still get the eye roll once in a while. Like the Pope said who am I to judge!

When my '99 RR was new I averaged close to 7000 mile per year, but other priorities slipped into the equation and miles dwindled to about 3000 per year. With retirement soon to be my reality I am planning to reverse that mileage per year slide...right after I catch that Muskey named grandaddy who hangs out in the bay right off my dock at the cabin, remodel the cabin, restore my '71/5.... Crap, I'll be just as busy as when I was working, but will I will still move riding the bike back to it's rightful place of prominence on my priority list.

hijak

This is why the MOA "mileage contest" is a joke.

We'd ride more October to May than April to October, usually.

Always lobbied for annual contest, but oh no, that wasn't fair to those who lived "up north".

10 degrees and no ice is wonderful riding.

90-110 ambient with real feel north or 110 is hot.

I've ridden 10,000 or more miles in summer, often.

But it can be dangerous.

So any riding is good, but some riding is better.

And some bikes seem to ride more miles.

All good until you want to convert me...

hijak

This is why the MOA "mileage contest" is a joke.

We'd ride more October to May than April to October, usually.

Always lobbied for annual contest, but oh no, that wasn't fair to those who lived "up north".

10 degrees and no ice is wonderful riding.

90-110 ambient with real feel north or 110 is hot.

I've ridden 10,000 or more miles in summer, often.

But it can be dangerous.

Tim, MOA now has a summer or annual contest. I always forget to send in either the start form or the end form! Sent the start form this year, time will tell if I remember to close it out.

I also think it's a joke. I've done more miles than the "winner" several times. I've paid for membership for the last time.

I agree with that, going to save my money. When the magazine comes I just recycle it as it no longer contains much of interest. Maybe too much internet competition. Then on the other hand I'm probably loosing interest in motorcycling in general. I mean I live in one of the most environmentally pure places in this country that every summer millions want to visit so why leave if you live here. The nights are cool with no need for AC and the days are usually 65 - 70 degrees and did I mention fresh air? So why would I be interested in beating myself half to death in heat, insects, wind, smoke, angry motorists and whatever else?

Oh, I still enjoy Rider magazine :)

Edited by JamesW
I also think it's a joke. I've done more miles than the "winner" several times. I've paid for membership for the last time.

Yes, but without pics...

Hi Marty!

See ya next week.

I forget, who is buying?

;)

Yes, but without pics...

Hi Marty!

See ya next week.

I forget, who is buying?

;)

I'm useless on pics. Spent a month riding in eastern Europe last sept. and took 1 pic. At least Traveler 1 took a bunch.

• 2 weeks later...

I have well over 125k miles on the 3 RTs I've owned over the years. Having owned up to 4 scoots most of the time of various makes and models (Never H-D though, as my late brother owned several of those for my cost free enjoyment!) my miles were well spread out on all of them. Living in AR and being the sweat like a pig kind of guy plus ATGATT I also don't ride much from July to October. I also never got comfortable with the lazy-boy recliner feet forward riding position either.

I don't put much stock in who has ridden the most miles as I go for more smiles per mile myself. I have trailered a couple of times and am not ashamed....do what you do. Life is short.

Edited by Rinkydink
hijak

Exactly. :thumbsup: