Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1018761 - 09/09/18 09:46 PM Re: Tires.... [Re: Twisties]  
Twisties Offline
Boots
Twisties  Offline
Boots

Brookings, OR
Mounted the Dunlop RS III's and got out for a short wear-in ride. I am happy to report that initial impression is excellent, with performance on par with the Michelin PR4 GT's in all respects under dry conditions. Grip, handling, noise and comfort are all top of the line. 36 psi f, 42 psi rear. The only thing of note is that the rear took the maximum 3 oz. of weights to balance, however, this did not result in any noticeable issues in ride.

Jan

Sand Beige 2007 R1200RT "Flyer"

Blind Man Images on Facebook
#1018996 - 09/12/18 03:29 PM Re: Tires.... [Re: Twisties]  
RecentConvert Offline
Newer Member
RecentConvert  Offline
Newer Member

That seems like a lot of weight for a tire rated for 168 mph. Did whoever mounted the tire match the yellow dot to the valve stem?

"The yellow dots should be aligned with the valve stem on both steel and aluminum wheels since this is the wheel's heavy balance point. This will help minimize the amount of weight needed to balance a tire and wheel assembly. So usually, whenever you see a yellow dot, match it up with the valve stem.Aug 13, 2007"

#1019001 - 09/12/18 04:07 PM Re: Tires.... [Re: RecentConvert]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by RecentConvert
That seems like a lot of weight for a tire rated for 168 mph. Did whoever mounted the tire match the yellow dot to the valve stem?

"The yellow dots should be aligned with the valve stem on both steel and aluminum wheels since this is the wheel's heavy balance point. This will help minimize the amount of weight needed to balance a tire and wheel assembly. So usually, whenever you see a yellow dot, match it up with the valve stem.Aug 13, 2007"

Afternoon RecentConvert

Are you sure that BMW still drills the valve stem hole at the heavy point? Most manufactures haven't done that extra labor/ extra cost operation a long time now as a big cost saver as well as it isn't that effective with wheels using in-wheel pressure sensors.

With the introduction of in-wheel sensors there is no way to know where the heavy or light spot on the wheel is until the sensors are mounted & no way will any manufacture machine an alloy wheel, mount wheel sensors, re-mount on machine, then re-spin it for valve stem placement.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1019006 - 09/12/18 06:49 PM Re: Tires.... [Re: Twisties]  
RecentConvert Offline
Newer Member
RecentConvert  Offline
Newer Member

Dirtrider,

I can't speak specifically to BWM, but the yellow dots are a tire industry standard for supplying OE tires. I've found when the local guy didn't put the yellow dot by the valve stem, the tire required significantly more weight to balance.

We've also balanced the wheel and sensor without a tire and found once the wheel assembly was balanced, the tires required very little weight.

I worked for Goodyear Corporate for a number of years, Goodyear and Sumitomo have a strategic agreement regarding the Dunlop brand. Roadsmart 3 in the USA is manufactured by Sumitomo in Japan, Roadsmart 3 in Europe is manufactured in a Goodyear owned plant in Europe.

Three ounces is a lot of irregularity in a performance tire like we all use, if I had to use that much, I would be contacting the seller for a replacement.

#1019011 - 09/12/18 08:14 PM Re: Tires.... [Re: Twisties]  
greiffster Offline
Administrator
greiffster  Offline

Administrator

Clarksville, Tennessee
FWIW, I checked the balance on both rims of my '08 GSA and former '03 RT, with regular rubber valve stems installed (no tires). I saw no correlation between the heavy spot of the rim and the location of the valve stem.

-Mike
'08 GSA
"If I don't like it, I'm not blaming myself!"
K. Greiff
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
M. Jagger
#1019050 - 09/13/18 07:32 PM Re: Tires.... [Re: Twisties]  
RPG Offline
RPG  Offline

Motown
as I mount and balance my own tires, I agree that the rims (at least on my 04 RT) does not equate with the valve stem being the heaviest part of the rim. Accordingly, I'll mount my new Roadsmart III's yellow dot on the actual heavy spot.

thanks,

RPG

Upper classes are a nation's past; the middle class is its future.

Ayn Rand

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4