IGNORED

Other Oil Filters for 2010 R1200RT

EyeBike528

Here-Yee all you garage wrenchers! Need some oil filter selection advice for my 2010 12RT at 40K miles.

I normally purchase a K & N 164 Oil filter for my 2010 R1200RT and have for about 5 years, changing every 3,500 miles or so.

At my local Auto Store, it was suggested that I try one of these other oil filters which have a Taller Profile than what I'm normally used to, and will stick out below the engine cooling compartment.

One was the K & N Performance Gold Oil Filter, HP-1010, it has a white casing.

The second is a Royal Purple, 10-2867, it has a purple casing.

Does any one have experience with them?

My K & N's won't arrive for another week in the mail.

Thanks,

Jim, on Long Island, NY

Edited by EyeBike528
Here-Yee all you garage wrenchers! Need some oil filter selection advice for my 2010 12RT at 40K miles.

I normally purchase a K & N 164 Oil filter for my 2010 R1200RT and have for about 5 years, changing every 3,500 miles or so.

At my local Auto Store, it was suggested that I try one of these other oil filters which have a Taller Profile than what I'm normally used to, and will stick out below the engine cooling compartment.

One was the K & N Performance Gold Oil Filter, HP-1010, it has a white casing.

The second is a Royal Purple, 10-2867, it has a purple casing.

Does any one have experience with them?

My K & N's won't arrive for another week in the mail.

Thanks,

Jim, on Long Island, NY

Afternoon Jim

As long as the filter is listed or rated for a 2010 BMW 1200RT then it should work OK. If the filter isn't listed or rated for your bike by the filter supplier / manufacture then WHY NOT?

Just because a filter will screw on doesn't mean it is correct as far as the by-pass valve pressure setting or being on proper end of filter.

Will one of those filters FIT, probably, will they be absolutely correct, who knows.

Simple way is to just call the filter manufacturer or filter supplier & ask them if it is correct for your bike.

I've been using a MAHLE OC306 from Amazon for $12.95. I have a 2012 RT. I'm not sure if you would use the same one for your bike. I switched as I heard some things about the K & N not being the best choice.

Bob

I agree with DR's statements above however I'd also be concerned that a longer filter may be more vulnerable to damage from road debris and etc. I run a GS skidplate on my CamHead RT, it's amazing how many "pings" I hear from rocks hitting the plate, especially when riding back roads.