IGNORED

2019 Spring Torrey May 16-20th

Rooms are being held for us at a discounted rate.

Please tell them you are with the BMWST group.

Michelle is our go to person but whoever answers the phone will help.

(435) 425-3377

• 1 month later...

Excellent! That would have been a long haul from North Carolina while I was working, but a western ride based around Torrey is just the ticket now that I am retired. The roads and landmarks throughout southern Utah and the 4 corners area generally look spectacular. Starting to plan the entire ride now. And I look forward to meeting some of our west coast board members. Count me in. Reservations made.

Randy Shields

• 3 months later...
The roads and landmarks throughout southern Utah and the 4 corners area generally look spectacular. Starting to plan the entire ride now. Reservations made.

I highly recommend Canyonlands NP. Shafer and Potash roads in particular. So awesome you just won't believe it! :thumbsup:

Pat

I highly recommend Canyonlands NP. Shafer and Potash roads in particular. So awesome you just won't believe it! :thumbsup:

Pat

Very nice video Pat - has inspired me to start planning another Torrey/west coast trip and to ride those roads! :thumbsup:

In. Talked to Michelle. Room is reserved.

After 17 years of making the 14-hour trek from SoCal to Torrey, I'm now located on the Western Slope of the Rockies. So Torrey is just 4 hours the fast way and 6 hours the fun way. And between Spring and Fall Torrey, I've got all of the Rockies just 1.5 miles to the east of my front door. At last now I'm able to get my money's worth by wearing out the sides of my tires at about the same pace as the middle.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Burt said:

I just made a reservation for a room 16th-20th.  I've never been out there, and I'm looking forward to it.

Are you gonna make it this time?

RecentConvert

Good morning all!

I have never attended or participated in this type of event and have many questions.  Hopefully you will cut me some slack.

This is the exact region my wife and I were planning to go this riding season.  We ride 2-up in spite of my efforts to move her onto her own bike.

Who attends this event?  How many attend?  Is it 95% males or do wives/girlfriends attend also?  My wife and I have logged 50,000 miles in the past 3 years and I wish for her to not feel out of place.

Are there organized group day routes for exploring the area?  

We will ride from home in Iowa.  Anyone know a non-boring route across Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska or South Dakota?  We avoid interstates.

Many women have attended over the years and most come more than twice. Get reservations at the Chuckwagon Hotel ASAP. Check in at cabin #9 as soon as you can and we will get you set up on rides. We have no scheduled or formal group ride but I will get some folks together and we would love to show you the best places to ride in the US. If you want to come through Salida on the way you are welcome to stay at my house and ride to Torrey with me on Thursday. The route to Torrey is amazing.  I live alone with plenty of extra rooms and space. 

Larry “Whip”

not to to mention the views from my house

AB6521CE-66E7-457C-8D9E-F8F2086A9463.jpeg

• Thanks 1
RecentConvert

Thanks for the advice on route!!!   We've ridden that one several times!  

We love to ride in Colorado and go through Salida often.  The road on the north east side of Black Creek Canyon is a favorite although all are excellent.  Had some emergency repairs done in Montrose where they loaned me a bike while they worked on mine.  Good dealer!  The chipseal roads and an overly heavy right hand are hard on tires and brakes!

10 hours ago, Whip said:

Many women have attended over the years and most come more than twice. Get reservations at the Chuckwagon Hotel ASAP. Check in at cabin #9 as soon as you can and we will get you set up on rides. We have no scheduled or formal group ride but I will get some folks together and we would love to show you the best places to ride in the US. If you want to come through Salida on the way you are welcome to stay at my house and ride to Torrey with me on Thursday. The route to Torrey is amazing.  I live alone with plenty of extra rooms and space. 

Larry “Whip”

not to to mention the views from my house

AB6521CE-66E7-457C-8D9E-F8F2086A9463.jpeg

RecentConvert - do not pass up on Whip’s offer!  He is our leader, fantastc guy, and great rider.

His home and location in Salina is beautiful and he would not extend the invitation to join him without meaning it!  Believe me it will make your trip to Torrey an unbelievable experience!👍

Looking forward to the Spring Torrey.

Yep, the photo was taken in the Fall.  Zedds Meadow, Gooseberry-Fremont Road. :thumbsup:

374_zpsppyw92on.jpg

On 1/25/2019 at 5:48 AM, RecentConvert said:

Good morning all!

I have never attended or participated in this type of event and have many questions.  Hopefully you will cut me some slack.

This is the exact region my wife and I were planning to go this riding season.  We ride 2-up in spite of my efforts to move her onto her own bike.

Who attends this event?  How many attend?  Is it 95% males or do wives/girlfriends attend also?  My wife and I have logged 50,000 miles in the past 3 years and I wish for her to not feel out of place.

We will ride from home in Iowa.  Anyone know a non-boring route across Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska or South Dakota?  We avoid interstates.

Definitely not a boys-only type trip.  There's usually a few wives/significant others.  My wife used to always go until the kids having to be in school put a damper on her going.  You and your wife will be welcome.  As for organized rides its not really needed for the area.  Good riding in every direction and Whip or anyone else can point out the places to go.  Some groups may form up of people who want to ride the same road and you'll be welcome.  As Whip said, just swing by the group at/outside of his cabin and you'll be dialed in.

13 hours ago, Killer said:

Nice picture! The road is Utah 25 which runs (rapidly) from Sweeper Madness (UT 72) to Fish Lake and on to UT 24, it's sometimes called the Fish Lake Byway. Contrary to some maps it is paved all the way and has been for 20 years! There are quite a lot of things to see along the way

http://www.sevierutah.net/index.aspx?NID=196

Bob, I still have not complete the ride to I-70 from Fish Lake (actually goes north from the reservoir) because it was snowed in. I think you took be up there a couple times when it was a dirt road. 

Dennis Andress
On 1/25/2019 at 5:48 AM, RecentConvert said:

Good morning all!

This group is not big on "organized" anything. Torrey is little more then an excuse to ride some beautiful roads and have dinner with friends. Rides are put together over morning coffee or breakfast. You both will have a good time, please drop by. (Says the man who hasn't made it to Torrey in years...)

Oh, you asked about a non-boring way to cross Kansas..

I like to ride at 105.

It's just how fast I've got to go.

I've got the gears and I've got the motor.

Ain't no reason to go slow.

hite_creek-XL.jpg

10 hours ago, Whip said:

Bob, I still have not complete the ride to I-70 from Fish Lake (actually goes north from the reservoir) because it was snowed in. I think you took be up there a couple times when it was a dirt road. 

We did it in the Tundra that time in the falling snow, that was a great trip. There has been quite a lot of snow this winter so far, if it carries on like this the Goosebury/Sevenmile road won't be clear next Torrey either. Of course it's paved and straightened a bit now, but should still be a great ride.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

(Says the man who hasn't made it to Torrey in years...)

And totally fails to mention that he got married by the Chuck Wagon pool in Torrey at one of these events.

• Like 1
On ‎2019‎/‎01‎/‎07 at 3:24 PM, TEWKS said:

Pat

Extra points for you, Pat.  There is just no way I'm taking the big pig on Shafer Road.  At least not downhill on TKC 70s anyway.  OK, the DRZ/KLX on TKC80s roosting around the corners.  And anyone else's sub-900cc bike, sure  :classic_biggrin: 

Mike Cassidy 

19 hours ago, MikeRC said:

Extra points for you, Pat.  There is just no way I'm taking the big pig on Shafer Road. 

Mike Cassidy 

Thanks Mike, yes points do matter! :grin: Now the road surface really wasn't all that bad. The fear of heights and falling to your death, well yeah, there was that...:rofl:

Pat

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2019 at 7:48 AM, RecentConvert said:

Good morning all!

group-X3-X2.jpg

On 1/23/2019 at 11:47 AM, Whip said:

Absolutely 

Plenty of room for trailers

We will plan to be at your place!  Thanks.  Looking forward to it.

Been watching this for some time and thought I was going to able to make the event. Had a two bed unit on hold but had to cancel today. So.... can someone tell me about the September event? Dates and such? I’m in Ferndale Washington and I attended the UN a couple years ago. Thanks...

Gordie Thomas

5 hours ago, gordiet said:

Been watching this for some time and thought I was going to able to make the event. Had a two bed unit on hold but had to cancel today. So.... can someone tell me about the September event? Dates and such? I’m in Ferndale Washington and I attended the UN a couple years ago. Thanks...

Gordie Thomas

The last full weekend in September. 26-29th.

• 2 weeks later...

Not required, but you can indicate if you plan to attend or not ... click on link to go to Calendar listing

• Confused 1
On 3/12/2019 at 1:41 PM, eddd said:

Daylight Saving 
Time?

Nah, just related to not paying attention :16: