IGNORED

help: seat is loose

Scarecrow

2004 R1150RT, had it since new in 2004. Suddenly, the seat no longer fits snuggly (snugly??). I have the seat adjustment thingee on the low setting (my short legs can reach the ground that way) and the seat would fit in with the back rubber bumpers fitting snugly in the lowest of the notches made for them. Putting on the rear seat would lock the front seat in with the little plastic tongue doodad that holds it locked in when I push the rear seat into it's lock.

No longer. Now after locking in the rear seat, the front seat can wiggle free. It has about an inch of slop and so I can remove the front seat even though the back seat is locked in place. I have no idea what changed. I have no idea how to readjust it back to "normal". I've tried very carefully fitting everything together, but no luck.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions from anyone on what I should do to get back to the way it is supposed to be?

I appreciate any help you can impart,

TIA,

S

Check to see if those two round rubber bumpers that fit into the slots are still attached. I had mine come off a couple of times. I didn't notice it but the seat acted just like you are describing.

Check to see if those two round rubber bumpers that fit into the slots are still attached. I had mine come off a couple of times. I didn't notice it but the seat acted just like you are describing.

The bumpers are still there. I was wondering if maybe they shrunk after all this time, although they appear to be normal. I'll look at them more closely tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion

post a pic of the bike seat area with the seats off . if you have difficulty posting pics . send several pics of the area with no seats to Tri750@hotmail.com

post a pic of the bike seat area with the seats off . if you have difficulty posting pics . send several pics of the area with no seats to Tri750@hotmail.com

I'll do that tomorrow and try to show the seat with the space, and the under part showing the rubber bumpers. I think I remember how to post pictures, but if I can't figure it out, I'll send them to you. Thanks.

Make sure there is nothing under the passenger seat interfering with that seat. There is a tongue on the passenger seat that has to be in position with the driver seat so that the two seats get locked together. You can lock down the back of the passenger seat but if the front isn't "locked into" the driver seat, it will rock up and back.

The bumpers are still there. I was wondering if maybe they shrunk after all this time, although they appear to be normal. I'll look at them more closely tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion

Remember there are 2 rubber buffers on the front adjuster and there are 2 rubber buffers on the rear lower part of the rider's saddle.

Ensure that the rider's seat is fully slid FULLY forward onto the rubber buffers and that the rear is pushed down before engaging the pillion seat. If not you end up with a sloppy fit of the rider's seat.

Make sure there is nothing under the passenger seat interfering with that seat. There is a tongue on the passenger seat that has to be in position with the driver seat so that the two seats get locked together. You can lock down the back of the passenger seat but if the front isn't "locked into" the driver seat, it will rock up and back.

Nothing is blocking the passenger seat. The tongue is not fitting into the rider's seat as it should be; I don't know why.

Remember there are 2 rubber buffers on the front adjuster and there are 2 rubber buffers on the rear lower part of the rider's saddle.

Ensure that the rider's seat is fully slid FULLY forward onto the rubber buffers and that the rear is pushed down before engaging the pillion seat. If not you end up with a sloppy fit of the rider's seat.

Yes, all the rubber buffers seem to be in place but I just can't seem to "lock" in the seat. It was fine up until a couple of weeks ago.

I'll do that tomorrow and try to show the seat with the space, and the under part showing the rubber bumpers. I think I remember how to post pictures, but if I can't figure it out, I'll send them to you. Thanks.

I've taken a bunch of pictures. the first shows a gap between the rider seat and passenger seat.

h1Y5bcK.jpg

this is the front adjustment thingee which lets you raise or lower the seat. I want it on the lowest setting. It seems to lock in, but then when the seat is on, I can press on the seat and it seems to lift up a little. I don't think it should do that, but I don't see any adjustment point for it. by the way, the white blocks under the adjustment thing were put there to make it so I wouldn't slide into the front of the seat. That was a common thing on the 2004 RT's and I've had those in there since I bought it. I am sure it is not the problem.

G3a92OD.jpg

this shows the passenger seat fitting as it should. nothing seems to be blocking it from locking in as it is supposed to.

km9bZQ2.jpg

The rear "step" adjustments seem to be clear; i.e. nothing blocking them.

8NeSv4a.jpg

You can see the gap between seats and it shows the tongue which should be locking down the seat. You shouldn't be able to see that and in the past, you couldn't.

pJB4X6a.jpg

The next two shots show where the rear bumpers should be fitting in. I know they don't look like they are, but I think that's because of me trying to fit in to take the picture. I can push down on the seat and it will sit in as it is supposed to. But then, when sitting on the seat, it shifts a bit and that seems to be the problem. I just don't know why it is shifting at all. The passenger seat used to lock it in when I placed it on, but not now.

YvSLArn.jpg

q0KNSGa.jpg

EDIT: left out one image: I think this was showing the bumpers and tongue. . .

CKpo0kx.jpg

any thoughts? I appreciate all the help you are giving me.

Edited by Scarecrow

When I added seat jacks to my 97 RT in 2001, I had to shave off the back side of the round rubber seat bumpers so that they would fit into the "ladder" receiver of the base. Looks like yours are not fitting down enough. The higher the seat jack the more it messes up with the seat insertion. Just something to check out based upon my old memory.

When I added seat jacks to my 97 RT in 2001, I had to shave off the back side of the round rubber seat bumpers so that they would fit into the "ladder" receiver of the base. Looks like yours are not fitting down enough. The higher the seat jack the more it messes up with the seat insertion. Just something to check out based upon my old memory.

Shaving the bumpers down was common, but I never had to and up until now everything worked as it was supposed to. But if I can't figure out anything else, I may end up doing that.

First, I would put the riders seat adjuster in the middle position , then put the seats on.

I can't see by the pic, but I suspect the seat adjust mech has gone too far forward or been allowed to because of the sear jacks being there.

If the seat latches normally, then return the mech to the low position and "smack" it home into the low position holding fingers.

Remember, the bar will slide side to side as well so make sure it's centered so the bar goes all the way into the fingers with that smack.

You could skip the step putting in the mid position, but this is more dramatic.

Edited by Tri750
First, I would put the riders seat adjuster in the middle position , then put the seats on.

I can't see by the pic, but I suspect the seat adjust mech has gone too far forward or been allowed to because of the sear jacks being there.

If the seat latches normally, then return the mech to the low position and "smack" it home into the low position holding fingers.

Remember, the bar will slide side to side as well so make sure it's centered so the bar goes all the way into the fingers with that smack.

You could skip the step putting in the mid position, but this is more dramatic.

Thanks. I actually tried that, putting the adjustor in the middle position. Helped a little, but not completely. Plus I felt very uncomfortable not being able to put my feet flat on the ground. I do think you are right that the adjustor somehow is moving too far forward but I don't know how to fix that. I looked for some kind of adjustment point but don't see any. I can smack the bar and it seats itself, but seems to easily undo itself and move forward again. Do you know how I can fix it so it stays in place?

The one view we don't have is straight down over the adjuster mech.

I'll look at mine in the morning. The answer is very simple I know, but can't put my finger on it.

The one view we don't have is straight down over the adjuster mech.

I'll look at mine in the morning. The answer is very simple I know, but can't put my finger on it.

(apologies for the size of the pictures; I thought I got them smaller yesterday but today they all seem giant size)

Here are 3 more shots:

First adjustment mechanism from the side:

oWCxOd6.jpg

Mechanism as top down as I could:

kl8le1F.jpg

Another from the side showing a spring (which maybe has gotten too slack??)

YS5AP2t.jpg

I pulled on the bumpers a little to move them down and then pressed real real hard on the seat back to plant them firmly in their slots. That might have done it. I'm heading to Yosemite Park tomorrow so I'll know if this cures it after the long ride.

I want to thank everyone for the suggestions. I'll follow up when I get back to let you know if it stayed in place.

Crossing my fingers,

I duplicated your issue today SINCE MY BIKE WON'T RUN DUE TO THE HALL SENSOR FAILING !

not that I'm bitter.

By moving the seat adjuster from all tall to lower and letting it find its own home.

The seat installs but with the gap and a rocking motion.

Then it smacked the adjusting bar a bit down and forward and yes, it did fully seat and the seat was able to go into the correct position and I have the Seat Jack as well.

I did this twice with the same result.

You need to smack the adjusting bar down and forward.

The slight movement of say, 5/16" will make that big of a difference.

Don't worry about the Springs being a bit hyper-extended .

Edited by Tri750
I duplicated your issue today SINCE MY BIKE WON'T RUN DUE TO THE HALL SENSOR FAILING !

not that I'm bitter.

By moving the seat adjuster from all tall to lower and letting it find its own home.

The seat installs but with the gap and a rocking motion.

Then it smacked the adjusting bar a bit down and forward and yes, it did fully seat and the seat was able to go into the correct position and I have the Seat Jack as well.

I did this twice with the same result.

You need to smack the adjusting bar down and forward.

The slight movement of say, 5/16" will make that big of a difference.

Don't worry about the Springs being a bit hyper-extended .

Thank you. I slammed the adjustor into place at the lowest setting and pulled the bumpers a little bit out, then slammed the seat into position pushing real hard to make sure the bumpers were well seated in their slots. Rode to Yosemite Park and had no issues.

Thank you all again for the help. If it comes loose again, I'll let you know, but it looks good now.

(oh - and sorry to hear about your hall sensor. . .)

Waited to see, yes, this happens on a GT sometimes.

Smack talk fixes it, literally.

I got called back to the dealership one day because a GT was being picked up and they could

not get the seat "on".

Slide here, push/pull/lift and smack it.

Good to go.

Thanks Tallman. . . It just took me by surprise that after 14 years the seat decided not to fit correctly. Looks like it's good to go now though.

You should glue those bumpers in place or you'll be buying new ones.

They weren't the issue, crawling off, but you've given them a taste of freedom and they will jump off when you aren't looking,

You should glue those bumpers in place or you'll be buying new ones.

They weren't the issue, crawling off, but you've given them a taste of freedom and they will jump off when you aren't looking,

:rofl:

Yes.

Little boogers.

My seat would do that once in a while and no matter what, full moonx3circles/counterclockwise/goats...

it would not reseat properly.

Swear I heard giggling from under the seat one 45 minute time...