IGNORED

NEW Category for the 1250 cam shifter

Wild Bill

Saw a press release on the new 1250 GS and RT. I don't think I was dreaming... It has a cam that shifts based on load, and I guess the load...

So After wet heads, now we need a new group "Cam Shifter" or some thing similar...

BK

Yeah, Shifthead. (Enunciate)

The torque increase looks real enough, at all rpm. Same torque at 2750 rpm as 4500 rpm on the r1200. We've been telling RT newbies to keep the revs up, to at least 3000 rpm - the R1250 claims more torque than that at 1750 rpm.

7037.thumb.jpg.75533d05cd39329141e3349d9a58385e.jpg

Edited by lkraus
Variable cam? Global innovation? That's actually been around for a very long time, hasn't it?

dc

The cam moves to adjust the valve timing right? So that' would make it like the BMW car VANOS system, thus VANhead (and keeps the nice three letter prefix like the previous names). I didn't come up with the idea - saw it suggested in another "what should we call them?" thread...

Variable valve timing isn't anything new at all. Another BMW innovation I can live without. Maybe if it said Ford on the gas tank I would feel better about owning one. Or maybe even Yamaha. Yup, definitely Yamaha.

Variable cam? Global innovation? That's actually been around for a very long time, hasn't it?

dc

The cam moves to adjust the valve timing right? So that' would make it like the BMW car VANOS system, thus VANhead (and keeps the nice three letter prefix like the previous names). I didn't come up with the idea - saw it suggested in another "what should we call them?" thread...

Bike system is really not anything like the VANOS system.

dc

Bike system is really not anything like the VANOS system.

Agree, the cars' VANOS continuously "Varies" the rotation of one shaft of cams relative to the crankshaft, which the bike doesn't do, so "Vanhead" wouldn't be apt for the bike. The bike system shifts the camshaft back and forth between two alternating cams for each valve (not Variable), so it's a "SHIFThead"!

The "ShiftCam" system is very much like Mercedes' Camtronic system - it too has a sliding camshaft with two profiles. They claim 80% of the benefit of a fully variable system at significantly less cost and complexity. Just a straight spline between cam gear and camshaft, and an on/off actuator.

BMW cars are way more complex, they use VANOS (double sided hydraulic actuator and spiral spline between cam gear and camshaft) to continuously vary valve timing and Valvetronic (lever arrangement with movable fulcrum for each valve, driven by a single stepper motor) to continuously vary valve lift.