IGNORED

BMW rolls out 2019 R1250GS and RT

Colorado Jeff

Found this on New Atlas today:

BMW rolls out 2019 R 1250 GS and RT with variable valve lift

https://newatlas.com/bmw-motorrad-2019-r1250-gs-rt/56374/

The fifth generation of BMW's four-valve boxer engine will make its debut in the new R 1250 GS and RT. The latest evolution of its liquid-cooled boxer features increased capacity, more power and introduces a new ShiftCam variable valve lift and timing system for the first time in a BMW motorcycle.

For 2019 BMW retains the same air/liquid cooling architecture in an extensively redesigned boxer engine that grows in capacity by means of both longer piston bore and stroke, up from 1,170 to 1,254 cc.

The new engine features a novel valve train that BMW calls ShiftCam, and is in fact a variable valve lift mechanism. Applicable only on the intake valves, it relies on a camshaft that hosts dual sets of lobes of different lift for each valve.

136HP! Yipee!

Jeff

Novel valve lift modulation. More impressive to me is the intake valve timing difference on the individual intake valves as it induces a sort of swirl in the combustion chamber before ignition.

The below video shows the intake valve timing offset.

DR, one picture shows the same intake valve timing/lift while the other certainly does show a different in intake timing? Probably have to wait to see which it is. I can see where staggering the intakes might have benefits......

DR, one picture shows the same intake valve timing/lift while the other certainly does show a different in intake timing? Probably have to wait to see which it is. I can see where staggering the intakes might have benefits......

Morning Terry

Possible that they only stagger the valve opening on one of the intake cam profiles.

• 2 weeks later...
one more new motorcycle and I'll be camping out for the rest of my life

Camping is fun! What is the problem?

Snowy.

Edited by Essnowyt

Watched the video, elegantly simple. Thats always been the dream, have different lobe profiles for different performance. The staggering if the intakes is probably to increase velocity and turbulence for low end torque. Very neat.

I really doubt this would cause much problem, of the systems the R series has already this is one of the simpler ones. I would be curious as to how much better if any the fuel economy is. Cruising on a nice torque cam should help.