IGNORED

Micro Fiber - scratches surface

Indy Dave

Over the years, I've been acquiring the highly touted Micro Fiber cloths - God's most recent gift to bikes and cars.

All I can say is WtF is so special about this? I find I am much more likely to scratch paint and my visor when using these crappy things. Only recently have I been carrying a few on my bike - and what a damn mistake that's been.

What am I missing here?

My take is that if a particle gets caught up in the microfiber, it doesn't get hidden (and thereby protecting the paint surface) in the depth of fabric like seems to happen to a greater extent in quality terry or cotton. I wash my MF separately, keep them in a sealed bags - in general., I go to lengths to keep them from being contaminated - as I do my cotton).

I've used the MF rags now and then at work. I never could figure out how they were supposed to be better than cotton. NOTHING beats a worn out pair of boxer shorts. Use them once or twice, toss them out, buy a new pair of grundos, cycle your old drawers into the rag bag. And the wife is happy because she never has to see me in an old, threadbare pair of drawers.

Yeeha! Stephen

Micro fiber cloths pick up and retain debris more than usual rags.

I buy them at Wally World, keep them sealed and use them like one-use items. So cheap I trash 'em after using each side once. Actually I fold them in quarters so each rag gets a few uses before trashing.

Warm/hot water

little bit of liquid laundry soap

hand wash

rinse well with hottish water

hang to dry

TADT

I've got microfiber cloths older than some of y'all

:rofl:

What's this "Wash your bike" thing you speak of?

Right? Between this and all the “bike dies after detail/wash/pressure wash” threads I sure wouldn't risk it.

My Ducati, on the other hand, takes washing fine, but it does get squirrelly when I ride it.

I've used the MF rags now and then at work. I never could figure out how they were supposed to be better than cotton. NOTHING beats a worn out pair of clean boxer shorts. Use them once or twice, toss them out, buy a new pair of grundos, cycle your old drawers into the rag bag. And the wife is happy because she never has to see me in an old, threadbare pair of drawers.

Just a suggestion...

I've used the MF rags now and then at work. I never could figure out how they were supposed to be better than cotton. NOTHING beats a worn out pair of clean boxer shorts. Use them once or twice, toss them out, buy a new pair of grundos, cycle your old drawers into the rag bag. And the wife is happy because she never has to see me in an old, threadbare pair of drawers.

Just a suggestion...

Having previously purchased a collection of eddd's old drawers, I can confirm that he follows his own advice.