IGNORED

low miles purchase advice

slipknot

I've found a couple of low mileage RT models and I'm suspicious of any bike that has not been on the road much. Why would one of these not have some serious use? This will likely be the last bike I buy and it needs to give reliable service for at least 15 years, like the old '70's airheads. I've owned seven BMW bikes but nothing newer than a '94 GS. I've taken test rides on a new '07 RT back then. My current mule is a Honda ST1100, fantastic motor, fueling, reliability unsurpassed, very stable high speed (Nitron and Race Tech mods) but no longer the ergonomics I can tolerate even with Helibars. Everyone please add your thoughts. And thanks to all.

How old and how many miles (nearly New or ten years old or what)?

Lots of reasons bikes don't get ridden - all the miles piled on by members here are by far the exception rather than the rule.

Many of my riding buddies have more than one bike in the garage. They end up riding some more than the others but keep them around because they like them or they can or for the occasional ride or to annoy someone. Hard to tell. I have three bikes in the garage right now. Two have not been ridden in years.

For me, I take, long trips, but I hate to admit it but golf has replaced a lot of my short bike jaunts. That keeps the mileage relatively low.

Interesting question slipknot. Can't generate an equally interesting response.

There are some nice used bikes out there with low mileage that are owned by people that are getting up there in their age and they don't ride as much now as when they were younger. Most of these bikes are well maintained.

The year models are 2011, 2012, 2013. I know of the switch issue on the camheads but are there other issues to be away of and will most dealer service centers run the VINs for recalls? What about crash history? Any avenues to pursue that history?

Thanks again, I'm really wanting to get bake to a boxer twin.

I bought a 2013 with low mileage (3K) in 2015 and have not regretted it. Did do a complete service at the time and now have 38K on the clock with no issues other than a left switch assemble under warranty. Brake and clutch fluid did need attention. To me, the Camhead is the perfect bike - very little heat and excellent power, handling and ergonomics. Have ridden the Wethead but found the heat from the radiators uncomfortable but did like the motor.

I also have a 2013 and echo Highway's comments. 50000 on the clock and find it more than capable for all my needs. Arrest me speed in 4th gear easily. Very comfortable ergos with a BMS seat. Added Wilburs at about 30k. Have only changed out 3 shims in the whole interval of valve checks and those were 1 at 600 and 2 at 12000. Changed out the switch gear under the program although I had not had any issues. This will be my last bike unless something drastic happens over the next few years.

I bought a used 2013 last year with only 7,000 miles on it. All recalls had been done and got full service history from the dealer.

I paid a fair price but was able to sell some of the accessories that came with it that I didn't want and that lowered the out of pocket money.

I had a 2005 that I switched many things to the new bike saving more money.

I've ridden it for 10,000 miles and love it. Just buy the one that is the color you want and ride it!!!

I purchased a 2012 in May with 13K on it. It now has 24K. I took it to the dealer when I bought it for a state inspection, change the brake fluid and to check the bike over. All was good but they said that they recommended replacing the switches which had not been done. It was covered by under warranty and no cost to me. Great bike and I got a great price. The WC are nice but at an additional cost,

I bought my 2010 model with 33000kms on it , all dealer services . Just an awesome bike . If this section of the forum is anything to go by , not too much to worry about either .

I bought a 2012 low suspension with a lot of factory options at the end of June for 8k. I thought it was a great deal but it seems that it was an average price. However it was the only low suspension model I had seen in quite awhile. It had 18 Kmiles on it. I researched problems and the only thing I found was switch gear. I had the local dealer check the serial number and they verified that the switch gear had been replaced under warranty. There were no other recalls for that model/year. I did check for play in the final drive which is something to do on any used BMW.