IGNORED

Is aanti seize needed for new spark plugs?

VaR1200RT

I am getting ready to change out the spark plugs and my 2012 R1200Rt. I can have not been able to find if I should put anti seize on the new plugs. I did search for this and I did not get any results.

Should I use anti seize on the new plus and if so any recommendations?

Thanks

I am getting ready to change out the spark plugs and my 2012 R1200Rt. I can have not been able to find if I should put anti seize on the new plugs. I did search for this and I did not get any results.

Should I use anti seize on the new plus and if so any recommendations?

Thanks

Afternoon VaR1200RT

No mention of using anti-seize on the spark plugs in my BMW dealer service manual. Only mention is using talcum powder as a lubricant (presumably for coil boots, but it doesn't specify).

Personally I use just a bit of anti-seize on the plug threads up near the plug bodies just to prevent galling on next removal (not entire length).

If you do choose to use a bit anti-seize just remember that the BMW torque values are for dry threads so torque to the low side if using anti-seize.

• Like 1

I use a dab of C5A copper based compound. I also use dielectric constand grease inside the boot terminal. Never ever had issues in removal of plugs and never experienced electrical problems.

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...

I always us kopr-kote on spark plug threads. When I torque them there is always a crush washer and you just tighten until you feel the crush washer flatten out. If I have to remove and replace a spark plug and the crush washer is already flat, I just use the same torque.

3 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

Same here. A little dab on threads and some dielectric spray in the boot. Makes sense.

NEW and OLD spark plugs.  Unless, of course, you are just dying to try your blind-side helicoil install technique.