IGNORED

front wheel issues

jelake

Has anyone experienced any instability with the front wheel of their 1200 rts?

The 08 I picked up in Aug exhibits a slight, what can only be explained as a wobble, above 65 mph- especially when leaning in turns. The tires have been replaced from what came on it, Pirelli Angel GTs to Metzler Z6's, which did resolve some of the vibration/ noise I was hearing initially (believe the Pirelli's were cupped).

My old 1150rt was solid except when the tires were cupped but the new ones on this bike have less than 2K on them (getting ready to cross 4K since having bought the bike). If I didn't know any better I would lean towards either a wheel weight is off/ misplaced and the higher speed just exacerbates the issue or that the shock/ spring is fried (appears to still have the original shocks, bought it with 27,8K on it, now have over 31K.

Any suggestions on where to start looking would be appreciated.

Has anyone experienced any instability with the front wheel of their 1200 rts?

The 08 I picked up in Aug exhibits a slight, what can only be explained as a wobble, above 65 mph- especially when leaning in turns. The tires have been replaced from what came on it, Pirelli Angel GTs to Metzler Z6's, which did resolve some of the vibration/ noise I was hearing initially (believe the Pirelli's were cupped).

My old 1150rt was solid except when the tires were cupped but the new ones on this bike have less than 2K on them (getting ready to cross 4K since having bought the bike). If I didn't know any better I would lean towards either a wheel weight is off/ misplaced and the higher speed just exacerbates the issue or that the shock/ spring is fried (appears to still have the original shocks, bought it with 27,8K on it, now have over 31K.

Any suggestions on where to start looking would be appreciated.

Afternoon jelake

You could have something like loose wheel bearings or a worn/loose front ball joint but at you mileage that is somewhat unlikely. (worth a check anyhow)

Does your bike have a larger windshield on it? If so try riding with it all the way down.

Also, does your bike have added high mirrors added to the handlebars? If so try removing them (I have high mirrors on my 1200RT but I don't feel much effect from them until I get it over about 115-120mph with a slight angular wind.

Jack the front of bike up then spin the front wheel looking for any signs of wobble or run-out.

DR,

From what I can tell the windscreen is still stock, The bike itself didn't appear to have anything done to it from what I can tell, either that or the PO was really adept at putting it back to stock prior to selling. No additional mirrors off the handlebars either.

Typically if I have the screen up it is only about an inch or two, just enough to deflect the road spray and that's it, otherwise it is down most of the time.

Will check the wobble on the front tire prior to heading home from work tonight.

When it does wobble at speed, it def feels like something is loose or as previously mentioned as if the spring/ shock is still bouncing around due to being worn down, kinda like you see with a car when the shock is worn or blown as it runs over a bump and that portion of the vehicle continues to bounce more then it should.

DR,

Upon looking over the front wheel yesterday, seemed to be solid on the axle and no visible play from the wheel bearing. I did notice though that the wheel weight that was present when the new tire was put on a few weeks back is no longer present so I am thinking that might have something to do with the wobble issue.

DR,

Upon looking over the front wheel yesterday, seemed to be solid on the axle and no visible play from the wheel bearing. I did notice though that the wheel weight that was present when the new tire was put on a few weeks back is no longer present so I am thinking that might have something to do with the wobble issue.

Morning jelake

Well, if it had a wheel weight & now doesn't that would be great place to start your troubleshooting.

If you can tell where it was on the wheel & how long the weight was in length then you can probably just match the witness mark up with a new similar length wheel weight.

DR,

So just contacted the dealership on the off event that they recorded the amount of weight hat was added. They did have notes in the comp but the notes actually stated that they removed the weight from the front tire as the wheel balanced without it and thus they were not needed. They did offer if I can swing by to rebalance and see if that is the issue but the tech over the phone based on my description- his immediate response was to lean towards the wheel bearings but at the mileage and the fact that it only happens at the upper speed without any sound indications at lower speeds makes him inclined to lean a different direction.

I haven't had any issues with this dealership in the past so I am inclined to believe them when they say it wasn't needed. Short of just straight replacing parts (that was the pattern on my 1150rt I followed which worked to a degree and backfired in other areas and so disinclined to follow that pattern again), any suggestions on how to trouble shoot?

DR,

So just contacted the dealership on the off event that they recorded the amount of weight hat was added. They did have notes in the comp but the notes actually stated that they removed the weight from the front tire as the wheel balanced without it and thus they were not needed. They did offer if I can swing by to rebalance and see if that is the issue but the tech over the phone based on my description- his immediate response was to lean towards the wheel bearings but at the mileage and the fact that it only happens at the upper speed without any sound indications at lower speeds makes him inclined to lean a different direction.

I haven't had any issues with this dealership in the past so I am inclined to believe them when they say it wasn't needed. Short of just straight replacing parts (that was the pattern on my 1150rt I followed which worked to a degree and backfired in other areas and so disinclined to follow that pattern again), any suggestions on how to trouble shoot?

Afternoon jelake

Lots of newer tires balance out just great without adding any weight.

I know you said you removed tire was cupped & noisy but did have the same wobble above 65mph? If that tire didn't have the issue then possibly you have a bad tire (like maybe a ply that isn't true or possibly a 1st order lateral problem).