IGNORED

Good GPS app for iphone that can route GPX files?

poodad

I'm a big fan of Waze for general riding (and driving for that matter), but I really need to find something that can follow a route contained in a GPX file.

Waze does not offer this feature, and the developers do not seem to be interested in adding it (lots of people on their forum have been begging for this for years).

Google maps lets me import a GPX file and view the resulting route, but has no provision for using it for navigation (at least that I've found).

Does anyone know of a good navigation app for the iphone that is on par with Waze and google maps that allows the use of GPX files for navigation? Do I just need to bite the bullet and buy a real GPS?

I'm on Android, but just bit that bullet. Garmin has it's many flaws, but Google Maps has no provision for custom routing on the phone. You can add destinations and that may work to some extent, but there is no way to work a custom route on a computer and transfer it to the phone... the shaping points are lost in the process. Google will let you save a map on your phone, so if you do that you don't always need a data connection, but without a data connection it can't be changed or updated. Running navigation on any phone I've seen means it needs to be wired to the bike for power, enclosed in a weather proof environment, and won't work with a typical moto glove.

If you have an iPhone, check out Scenic. I have it, but only as a backup to my Nav VI. I much prefer a dedicated GPS than a phone app. With Scenic, you can export GPX files from Basecamp, and just drag 'n drop them into Scenic's desktop application, after which they magically appear in the Scenic app on your phone. All this comes at a price, of course.

I'm on Android, but just bit that bullet. Garmin has it's many flaws, but Google Maps has no provision for custom routing on the phone. You can add destinations and that may work to some extent, but there is no way to work a custom route on a computer and transfer it to the phone... the shaping points are lost in the process. Google will let you save a map on your phone, so if you do that you don't always need a data connection, but without a data connection it can't be changed or updated. Running navigation on any phone I've seen means it needs to be wired to the bike for power, enclosed in a weather proof environment, and won't work with a typical moto glove.

I've got a RAM mount for the iphone and a lightning cable for power already in place. My weatherproof enclosure is a clear shower cap. I don't really want another mount and power cable for a GPS. And I certainly don't want to spend Motorcycle GPS bucks.

On my old iphone 5S, I had to lick the end of my glove finger to get the phone to recognize it. My iphone 7 has no problems with a gloved finger - no saliva needed.

If you have an iPhone, check out Scenic. I have it, but only as a backup to my Nav VI. I much prefer a dedicated GPS than a phone app. With Scenic, you can export GPX files from Basecamp, and just drag 'n drop them into Scenic's desktop application, after which they magically appear in the Scenic app on your phone. All this comes at a price, of course.

That looks perfect. Thanks!

I have been using iPhones on my bike for several years in conjunction with the Pocket Earth app. However, like all other apps, iOS and Android, it cannot import a .gpx route file per se. These will arrive as a track

As far as I am aware only Basecamp/Mapsource can convert tracks to routes and then only ”in house”

Routes created in PE on one device will transfer OK to another however

I also have been using pocket earth for several years, first with an iPhone, now with an iPad mini on my dash. So easy to create or modify routes both at home or on the road. True it only imports gpx files as tracks but one can quickly create a route over the top of the route. I have recently been experimenting with Scenic but creating or modifying a route in the app is not nearly as easy as PE.

I also have been using pocket earth for several years, first with an iPhone, now with an iPad mini on my dash. So easy to create or modify routes both at home or on the road. True it only imports gpx files as tracks but one can quickly create a route over the top of the route. I have recently been experimenting with Scenic but creating or modifying a route in the app is not nearly as easy as PE.

I would be most interested in how you create a route “over the top” of a route (track?) At the moment I open the track in split screen and in the other screen plot an equivalent route by “rubber banding” - (creating orange trackpoints)

btw is the PE forum still offline for you?

Edited by Kritou

I create a group, say xyz trip. I add the imported track to that group. I creat a set of waypoints coinciding withe the track and also made part of the group. I can view the group which will show the track and the points. From this I can create a route that follows the track. If I need to adjust the route in places, I can drag it, making a control point in the process or use the crosshairs and creat another waypoint and add it to the route, which I also make part of the group. I prefer the WP rather than a control point. If this sounds convoluted, pm me and I'll send you my phone#