IGNORED

R and R

Steve1962

Just arrived in Canada at the start of a three week holiday with friends, currently in Lake Louise for a few days before heading off to Banff and Jasper.

We will eventually end upon Vancouver Island for a few days before going back to Vancouver then flying home.

Canada is just as beautiful as last time we came in 2014 though the weather is not quite as good - we don't care though, we will make the best of it.

As per usual modus operandi I will take a few snaps and share them when I get home.

Steve

Edited by Steve1962

So, the hire car we have is a Chrysler Pacifica which is loaded with every extra you could imagine.

Having checked the list price it comes out at a rather scary $56k USdollars!

Ours comes with an added feature.........complimentary back seat drivers.

Having researched this phenomenon I have discovered that they don't necessarily come with Lifetime guarantees but do have some benefits.

Also discovered something more dangerous than bears...... bloody Japanese tourists with selfie sticks - one nearly took my eye out in Banff yesterday when she stopped and swung round in the middle of the pavement without warning ..... reckon I would be safer on the bike than walking in close proximity to these creatures (says the man who has been known to stand in the middle of a busy road just to snap a photo).

Will post photos when I get back.

Edited by Steve1962

ATGATT! We had the same lovely experience with them at Grand Canyon. We went into a structure and they act like you're not there-run right into you. Enjoy your trip. My cousin just went there to Vancouver Is.to bear watch and if they got lucky whales too. I hope you have the same experience! I haven't heard how their trip went. I'll ask about the tourists and selfie sticks.

We had some interesting experiences with Asian tour groups in Switzerland the last two weeks. They would be at some attractive spot, and would take turns being photographed in front of it, in multiple poses, until every single member of the group (sometimes 30 strong) had had a chance to pose. Meanwhile, blocking anybody else from access to that photogenic view. It did seem that it was mostly women being photographed. One popular shot was the "jump shot", i.e., a photo of the subject jumping (presumably for joy) in front of an awe-inspiring mountain view. Which of course took multiple takes to get just the right timing. We only had a few selfie-stick encounters.

Different cultures are different.

I had the same experience back in the early 80's on the way to Banff . 3 tour buses pull up to an overlook and 180 people pile out and start

taking pictures. This is the 80's, no cell phones but lots of serious film cameras. Most had 2 or 3 cameras with different lens around their neck,

BIG camera bags, bigger than the person trying to lug it, tripods, camcorders the works. Click, click rapidly shooting away. Bus honks horn

and they all rush back and zoom, off they go. Like Bill said, different culture.

I finally got my shot and rode on. I learned not to try to stop when those big groups were there.

Those are amazing pics.

Mike,

Thanks - these are only I phone photos that I am uploading when I can.

Got my camera with me too so some more will be added when I get home.

Just arrived at Jasper having driven, in glorious sunshine along the 93 from Lake Louise, an absolute feast of awesome scenery every yard of the way.

Steve

Beautiful area! Keep going, your not that far from Alaska. Keep taking pics...PLEASE.

Will do.

It's easy to take nice photos when the backdrop is so beautiful.

Uploading I phone photos daily to free up memory space as it's only got 16gb capacity.

Yesterday's drive up the 93 was fantastic and had me wanting to do it on the bike!!!

Beautiful shots!! Keep the pictures coming...PLEASE!

Will do.

Internet access is patchy so forgive me if some photos get duplicated.

Steve

Now in Victoria on the Island having spent yesterday on a boat trip in BC to see grizzlies and hump back whales.

What a fantastic day that was, powering up the Bute inlet before landing and then having two hrs watching the bears.

Note to self- when excited at seeing wildlife, do not forget to take the lens cap off the camera before taking photos as this does help!!

Got back to Campbell River at 8pm then grabbed a bite to eat before the three and a half hr drive to Victoria.

Could not be happier with our room here (see snaps on the original link in this post) and just don't want this holiday to end.

Bear photos won't be uploaded til I get home as they are all on the camera.

Steve

Well,

Now at Vancouver airport waiting to fly home (flight delayed by 3hrs 20 mins).

Great holiday, we have seen black and grizzly bears, eagles, moose, elk, skunk, orca and hump back whales.

Whilst out on a boat looking for the whales off Victoria on Vancouver Island we had to change direction as we hsd apparently strayed within two miles of a US nuclear submarine.

I have over 700 photos on my camera to go through so I will post a link in due course.

Back in blighty tomorrow morning.

Well,

Home now after what turned out to be one of the best holidays I've ever had.

The trip home was somewhat elongated though.......

Arrived at Vancouver airport at noon to find that the flight due to leave at 2.30pm was delayed, first by 45 mins, and in the end we didn't take off until 10pm - technical fault with the plane meant they had to fly in a replacement one from Montreal.

Arrived at Gatwick, Got on the coach - it broke down on the m25 in rush hour traffic - wait for a replacement coach - that turned up then we got held up on the M40 due to a car on fire.

Finally got to oxford around 7.30pm, then grabbed a taxi back to my mates house where my car was parked for the duration of the holiday........to find a flat front tyre...sacre bleu (or words to that effect)..... got that sorted, then went to the pub for a meal before heading home, oh and by the way............nearly got the car hit by three deer just about a mile outside the village where we live.

Apart from that it was uneventful!

Steve

Hi Marty,

Had a run of bad luck before the holiday and thought the jinx had been broken!!

On a brighter note my car passed the MOT today without issue.

Steve

Arrived at Vancouver airport at noon to find that the flight due to leave at 2.30pm was delayed, first by 45 mins, and in the end we didn't take off until 10pm - technical fault with the plane meant they had to fly in a replacement one from Montreal.

Arrived at Gatwick, Got on the coach - it broke down on the m25 in rush hour traffic - wait for a replacement coach - that turned up then we got held up on the M40 due to a car on fire.

Finally got to oxford around 7.30pm, then grabbed a taxi back to my mates house where my car was parked for the duration of the holiday........to find a flat front tyre...sacre bleu (or words to that effect)..... got that sorted, then went to the pub for a meal before heading home, oh and by the way............nearly got the car hit by three deer just about a mile outside the village where we live.

At what point did you start thinking you really weren't meant to go home?

Bill,

We didn't want to go home in August 2014 when we got back from western Canada the first time!!

It's just so beautiful there.

Steve