IGNORED

Title for a new GSA in my name!

Endobob

Almost unbelievable! I received a USP package last night with a registration and license plate for a new GSA!

Some of you know that I ordered a 2018 R1200GSA in late June and it did not arrive in time for me to ride it to the UnRally. I cancelled the order and bought a used GSA with only 2018 miles on it - yes same number of miles as the year of the bike :)

The dealer understood my situation and returned my deposit on the bike. I called the dealer this morning and they have yet to call me back on how this could have happened. I told them they either need to give me the bike :grin: or assurance no one will ride the bike before this is corrected (I assume I might be legally liable since the bike is registered in my name).

If I read what you wrote correctly, you cancelled the order on the '18 GSA from your dealer. Dealer returned deposit. You should not have heard from them beyond a "sure you don't want this now that it is in?".

You are not legally liable for any of this. They won't have current paper work allowing them to "sign" your name to title documents....since you didn't do any paperwork? I assume you didn't do all the paperwork when ordered as there would not be a VIN number. That is the question I want to hear answered.

I assume the license plate is a permanent plate? Not temporary?

The registration should be a notice of the permanent plates and the VIN along with your name?

Is there a title, or notice of title in any of the paperwork? Was there a lien on the bike wherein the title would be sent to a leinholder?

While a temporary license plate can be had without title application, a permanent plate should only had after application for title.

How is this interesting? Well several ways in just how it effects you. But the biggest reason is this: If in fact the manufacturers MSO has been given to the state for title work, that cannot be reversed. Even if you never see the bike, it is titled to you. The Dealer cannot sell it...without fixing this. But most importantly this bike cannot be sold as a NEW bike again! I is used by any measure of legal paperwork as it has been titled!

I can tell you from personal experience that this is a nightmare for dealers........

You read it correctly. The manager of the dealership knew I did not want the bike and arranged for the return of my deposit that I did receive.

I received the registration card with VIN and my name on it and the permanent license plate.

No indication of a lien on the bike.

Dealer paid for registration fee, title fee, and excise tax for a total of $1,406.00

I have spoken to the dealer twice this morning and still waiting for a call from the manager on how they plan to handle this.

The only way the dealer could have gotten the bike titled/registered in your name is if you signed state (DC?) title app documents or a power of attorney for the dealer to do so on your behalf. If the dealer refunded your deposit there's no purchase contract. Unless the dealer can unwind this quickly you may need a lawyer to do it.

Why don't you tell them you'll swap your old, used, dirty GSA even up plus any incentives BMW has on the 2018's to help them out. :rofl:

You could be several thousand dollars, richer and have a bike that hasn't been soiled by the stuff you rode in while you were in Colorado.

Where is the new GSA?? At the dealers?? It might be easier than trying to get the title work redone.

The only way the dealer could have gotten the bike titled/registered in your name is if you signed state (DC?) title app documents or a power of attorney for the dealer to do so on your behalf. If the dealer refunded your deposit there's no purchase contract. Unless the dealer can unwind this quickly you may need a lawyer to do it.

To my knowledge, I did not sign a DC title document or power of attorney. The first GSA that arrived for me did not have the TFT screen display and they assured me they would get another GSA, low suspension, with the TFT screen in time for my July trip to the UN. That did not happen so I cancelled the order and got my deposit back.

Why don't you tell them you'll swap your old, used, dirty GSA even up plus any incentives BMW has on the 2018's to help them out. :rofl:

You could be several thousand dollars, richer and have a bike that hasn't been soiled by the stuff you rode in while you were in Colorado.

Where is the new GSA?? At the dealers?? It might be easier than trying to get the title work redone.

I finally washed my GSA yesterday. Could not believe how long it took me to clean it up compared to my K1200RS.

If I had know how hard it is to clean a naked bike completely, I might have tried your suggestion of making a deal on the new one at the dealer that is "clean" and already registered for me, :thumbsup:

You know, the suggestion of the brand new bike at the dealer may not be as crazy as it sounds.

Will I do have over 12,000 miles on my GSA and it is due for service. :grin:

You read it correctly. The manager of the dealership knew I did not want the bike and arranged for the return of my deposit that I did receive.

I received the registration card with VIN and my name on it and the permanent license plate.

No indication of a lien on the bike.

Dealer paid for registration fee, title fee, and excise tax for a total of $1,406.00

I have spoken to the dealer twice this morning and still waiting for a call from the manager on how they plan to handle this.

Paying the taxes confirms title was applied for. This bike is now "used" and there is no way to get that tax money back that I know of. You have them over a barrel here. Normally I would work with them to help them straighten out an honest mistake. But this isn't quite honest. There MUST be documents with your name on them and signature ( or power of attorney related to title documents ) to get the title work done. How did those get signed.........

Paying the taxes confirms title was applied for. This bike is now "used" and there is no way to get that tax money back that I know of. You have them over a barrel here. Normally I would work with them to help them straighten out an honest mistake. But this isn't quite honest. There MUST be documents with your name on them and signature ( or power of attorney related to title documents ) to get the title work done. How did those get signed.........

I have called them when they opened today at 9:00 AM and again at 11:00 AM - still not received a call back from the manager. I plan to ask them them how this could have happened and to show me any paperwork with my signature authorizing this!

Assuming the manager has seen your message......he may be trying to find out himself what is going on.

I am going to the store and get some popcorn. This is going to be very interesting......

Indy Scott may just be looking for a GSA Bob. He has not heard anything back yet on his Triumph trophy that grenaded on a ride you were leading.

Bob, they don't show on my computer as having been posted yesterday. Must be the Twighlight Zone. Cue Rod Serling.

Indy Dave's post: copied from above on my screen: #1020645 - Yesterday at 07:45 PM

Someone is messing with me! :cry:

Show up the same on my IPhone, IPad and computer.

Edited by Endobobdds

It sounds to me like you own a GSA and they're going to have to give it to you, or be in a whole lotta legal hot water with the state/district. The delay in their response is probably due to them contacting their lawyers.

It sounds to me like you own a GSA and they're going to have to give it to you, or be in a whole lotta legal hot water with the state/district. The delay in their response is probably due to them contacting their lawyers.

That would be a happy ending to all of this, however, somehow I don't think it will work out that way!

The dealership never called me back today. Or perhaps as the above couple of posting indicate, perhaps all of this started "yesterday"! :rofl:

Edited by Endobobdds
Joe Frickin' Friday
Indy Dave's post: copied from above on my screen: #1020645 - Yesterday at 07:45 PM

Check you BMWST user preferences (top of this page under "My Stuff"). There's a time zone setting in there, and if it's wrong, it could explain why you're getting the same weird behavior regardless of which device you're using.

Presumably, if the dealer can no longer sell this bike as a new vehicle, anyone who buys it would not be eligible for any of BMW's new bike purchase incentives (currently $2,000 for a GSA).

Check you BMWST user preferences (top of this page under "My Stuff"). There's a time zone setting in there, and if it's wrong, it could explain why you're getting the same weird behavior regardless of which device you're using.

Thanks Mitch - While the times displayed seemed to be correct when I logged on the Board today, when I checked the user settings I found this: "UTC+000.00-UTC-12:58PM" (I am really not sure what that means. :dopeslap:)

I changed the time setting to "UTC-04.00-America/New_York-9:19" All seems to look good now. :thumbsup:

Edited by Endobobdds

UTC is Coordinated Universal Time, successor to GMT (Greenwich Mean Time).

It would be the time at the Prime Meridian - zero degrees.

Your time zone is offset from UTC.

Bob - I just want to emphasize Mr. Zoom's comments. I think you getting the R bike this summer has just transformed you in so many ways! First we have the Annual Endobobdds Sponsored START/FART Thursday Night ALL YOU CAN EAT (invite your friends, family and neighbors!) Pizza Smorgasbord Extravaganza :beer::eat::lick:

And now, Off Roadin' Bronco Buckin' Bob's Beautiful Beemer Bonanza Bike Giveaway! With 2 extra K Bikes and your extra R bike, you won't have to worry about acquiring anymore bikes to give away until FART 2020! :clap::wave::Yes:

Bob - I just want to emphasize Mr. Zoom's comments. I think you getting the R bike this summer has just transformed you in so many ways! First we have the Annual Endobobdds Sponsored START/FART Thursday Night ALL YOU CAN EAT (invite your friends, family and neighbors!) Pizza Smorgasbord Extravaganza :beer::eat::lick:

And now, Off Roadin' Bronco Buckin' Bob's Beautiful Beemer Bonanza Bike Giveaway! With 2 extra K Bikes and your extra R bike, you won't have to worry about acquiring anymore bikes to give away until FART 2020! :clap::wave::Yes:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It I somehow acquire another '18 GSA, I might be up for an auction or Board fundraising event. As for the START/FART Pizza parties - with the popularity of your and Ken's recent events, I may not be able to afford attending them anymore! :grin:

You trying to keep up with Bud for # of bikes owned in one year?? :grin:

OUCH! That's gonna leave a mark!

BTW - Can't be done! :read::wave::whistle:

Still have not heard anything about the GSA they have registered in my name, however, received this from the dealership in an email today:

"Hi ROBERT,

It's been a while since you have visited us. We'd love to see you soon just to say "Hi," or to help take care of any of your needs.

If you moved out of the area, you can still visit us online by checking out our website! We have a lot of great activities scheduled for the upcoming weeks, so we encourage you to come back and give us try.

If for some reason we have failed to meet your needs over the years, we would love to learn more about what we can do to earn your business.

Check out our inventory by clicking on the link below, or stop in today!"

Edited by Endobobdds

I know how you can get their attention!

The FBI has a very limited sense of humor when it comes to vehicle VIN numbers, title issues, rebodying. I am quite sure were you to make copies of the plate and paperwork and forward it to them stating " I have inquired about this through them and have gotten no replies", " would you be able to tell me if this is a fraud attempt?".

I'll go put on some more popcorn.......

Joe Frickin' Friday
The FBI has a very limited sense of humor when it comes to vehicle VIN numbers, title issues, rebodying. I am quite sure were you to make copies of the plate and paperwork and forward it to them stating " I have inquired about this through them and have gotten no replies", " would you be able to tell me if this is a fraud attempt?".

Slightly less hard-core would be to simply go to the dealer and tell them you're there to pick up your bike. Got the plates and the registration with you and everything, so hey, it MUST be yours. I expect that'll get a pretty prompt response out of them.

Kidding aside, when all is said and done, it would be fair to ask for some kind of a concession from them (free parts/service?) to compensate you for all of your time that has gone into cleaning up their mess.

Slightly less hard-core would be to simply go to the dealer and tell them you're there to pick up your bike. Got the plates and the registration with you and everything, so hey, it MUST be yours. I expect that'll get a pretty prompt response out of them.

Kidding aside, when all is said and done, it would be fair to ask for some kind of a concession from them (free parts/service?) to compensate you for all of your time that has gone into cleaning up their mess.

I am heading to an Aerostich Road Show near Camden, NJ tomorrow and returning Saturday. If I don't hear anything from the manager of the dealership by Sunday, I'll ride over there with the title in hand and get their attention by claiming I am there to pick it up! :thumbsup:

Edited by Endobobdds

How about handing them a copy of the title? You could tell them the original is in your safe - or the safe of your lawyer!

I was a bit tongue in cheek with the FBI thing. What I wrote about them taking VIN and title problems seriously is fact.

I would not be out to strangle the dealer if this can be explained. The problem I would have personally is how did MY SIGNATURE get on the paperwork? If they made copies of a previous transaction and/or falsified other documents, then my cooperation level goes way down.......

Edited by realshelby
I was a bit tongue in cheek with the FBI thing. What I wrote about them taking VIN and title problems seriously is fact.

I would not be out to strangle the dealer if this can be explained. The problem I would have personally is how did MY SIGNATURE get on the paperwork? If they made copies of a previous transaction and/or falsified other documents, then my cooperation level goes way down.......

I feel that I am a very laid back and cooperative guy, however, If they can not completely explain what happened I too will be less than cooperative. :read:

Do not plan on handing them the original title until they fully explain to me what happened.

Edited by Endobobdds

Good Grief... What a mess.

If it is true that the paperwork can not be reversed then I suppose you would be obligated to convey it back to them. However all of the issues about it then being used and any rebates would at issue... and their problem.

Sometimes you wonder if these guys have done this before.... We were convinced to do a lease once since they had a lease only rebate. I was unfamiliar with lease paperwork and the numbers weren't making sense to me. I said I would take the paperwork home and look it over and come back the next business day. Finally figured out that they had double credited the rebate. Walked in with the signed paperwork and they processed the deal... Around the end the salesman showed up ashen-faced.... I said, "Did you double credit the rebate?" He confirmed, but said they were honoring it. We left shaking our heads.

Made another call to the dealership yesterday, this time from my son-in-law, saying he was representing me and that we were very concerned about their lack of responsiveness and the legal issues surrounding the situation. Finally this morning received a call back from their "comptroller". He did not have any of the background on the title/registration issue! I related the sequence of events and my frustration with the dealerships lack of responsive. The comptroller explained to me that they are one of 6 Harley Davidson dealerships on the east coast and that all bikes sold by any of the dealerships have the registration/titling done by their Norfolk, VA dealership and he would have to call them and find out how this happened. Ten minutes later received another call from the comptroller asking for the VIN # of the GSA! :dopeslap:

Well, this is going to be hard to wait for your next post................

Ummmm...what does having Harley Dealerships have to do with this? Is that all they have?

Edited by realshelby

Too big to care,. Sounds like this happens all the time there. I bet your not the only one who has this problem with them.

When I bought my used 2013RT the title was released by BMW finance but was returned to the BMW car store.

That took 45 days to find. :dopeslap:

That cost me an extra 50.00 at registration as Oklahoma only allows for 30 days to register a vehicle from date of purchase. :cry:

Now if I had bought a trailer no problem. This state requires no title or plates and working lights are not required on trailers. :S

Talk about a loss of revenue. As you can imagine trailer theft is huge here.