IGNORED

Let's go phishing!!

beemerboy

I received this email today at my business email account:

Respected Concern,

Hope you are doing well.

We provides estimation and quantities take off services for both, sub contractors and general contractors.

We do commercial and residential projects. We are specialized all Csi divisions and some of them are ( Steel Structural, Concrete, Drywall, Masonry, Roofing, Flooring, Excavation, Demolition, Renovation, Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing etc. )

You have any sort of construction Plans/Drawings you just send me and I'll get back with economical service proposal.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

kind Regards,

Ben Logan

Business Development Manager

Smart Estimating

512-646-0128

Whadya think? Can I trust 'em to do a good estimate? :/

Tell them you have a counter proposal.... You do mass unsolicited spam mail proofreading for foreign companies hiding behind names like Ben Logan. kind Respecting regards.

Give them a call. They're in Austin. Phone number matches up.

http://www.smart-estimating.com/contact-us/

Here's a review on Yelp:

"Company continues to email me constantly. I have never used them for anything, and wouldn't at this point. I block their email and get another the next day from the same person and they added a different number on the end of their name so it will come through. I even called and someone who can hardly speak English answered saying they had no idea who could be sending out the emails. whatever. Extremely poor business marketing strategy. Plus who uses yahoo for a business email account? Get yourself a real business with a proper email address!"

:P:P:P

Give them a call. They're in Austin. Phone number matches up.

Austin, huh? That makes a lot of sense now....... :whistle:

Just got this one:

"Hello there!

We are US based Online Advertisement Company. This is our promotional email to conduct SEO on your website. That's why we found you through Google Search after page 4th.

We would like to send you our company's SEO proposal to compare with your current supplier in terms of Result/Price/ROI (Return on Investment) etc.

This is absolutely free and nowhere pressurize to move forward. But I will be grateful if I have your permission to send you the SEO proposal.

Thanks,

Carl Watson"

Since you can only block so many of these scammers I have decided to see how many junk emails it takes in my junk folder before it is jammed up. Should be fun..

I got a voice mail in a computer generated voice that sounded just like the whale xxxxskin adventure suit animation. It told me to call them and fix my tax problems or "you will be taken under custody by the local cops" I think kept it for a good laugh when I need one.

It's not the emails that bother me so much, but the constant landline/cell phone robocalls. OMG. And actually there is right now technology that the phone carriers could implement to solve the problem, but it would cost them millions of dollars in upgrades, in addition to the lost revenue of the eliminated said robocalls. So don't expect it anytime soon unless they are mandated to do it.

edit: Actually, now that I'm retired, my age might have something to do with the increase in bs phone calls, as older folks are usually the intended targets.

Edited by longjohn

About 30 minutes after ordering something online with BestBuy, I got a text message, claiming to be from my bank. It said that my card was being frozen, and that I needed to call them right away. I instead called the number on the back of the card. No frozen account, just trying to get me to call someone to gain information. I forwarded it to my bank's fraud department, and let BestBuy know that they had an issue.I usually use PayPal, but chose to use a card so that my interaction with BestBuy would go more smoothly.

And another one.....

"Hello Sir/Madam,

We are US based Online Advertisement Company. This is our promotional email to conduct SEO on your website. That's why we found you through Google Search after page 4th.

We would like to send you our company's SEO proposal to compare with your current supplier in terms of Result/Price/ROI (Return on Investment) etc.

This is absolutely free and nowhere pressurize to move forward. But I will be grateful if I have your permission to send you the SEO proposal.

Thanks

Kelly Sun"

Boy, I'm sure glad they don't want to pressurize me!!! :jaw:

Got this one today:

"Hi sir/madam,

We can place your website on first page of google, yahoo, bing.

We are a certified seo company with 6 years of experience in this field.

You need not to worry about our pricing.

Our pricing of seo service is cheapest and affordable.

You may ask about our pricing details.

Please kindly revert in any case of clarification.

(Seo service consultant)

Bespok,

Ps: I will be happy to send you “pricing” & “proposal” and share the website further more."

• 2 weeks later...

This one's really good!

"Hi Sir/Madam,

We are an Estimation company who produce their estimates from project plans. As for accuracy we have a tendency to take a ninety eight p.c accuracy a refund guarantee for the material takeoff. we have a tendency to deal in each residential and industrial classes.

We provides point by point estimates to construction managers, architects, planners, engineers, and owners, per their development determinations.

All you would like to try and do is simply send us the drawings (PDF file) then we'll offer you quote shortly and if you in agreement thereon quote then we'll build the detailed estimate.

Feel free to contact if you've got any question. Thanks.

Regards,

Mike Jones

917 464 3739

BDM @ Excel Estimation LLC

Unsubscribe "

I got one last night on ADV - I have a WTB ad over there, and I got a PM that said:

Maggie Louise Shearin in Pennsylvania. He has an [the item you wish to buy] for sale. Here's his email mggloiseshearin@gmail.com. You can thank me later

The bold bit was of course actually the title of my WTB post - it sounded almost natural, but when I googled the email address I found a bunch of similar posts and some of them were pretty hilariously worded thanks to them just pasting in the exact wording of whatever someone was looking for.

I got a phone call on my work cell yesterday. Lady says "Hi, I got a call from this number a few minutes ago. I'm returning your call." I said "No you didn't. I haven't made any phone calls on this phone today"

First time I've seen that. "spoofing" isn't it?

Have you guys gotten the Chinese robo calls yet?

I got a phone call on my work cell yesterday. Lady says "Hi, I got a call from this number a few minutes ago. I'm returning your call." I said "No you didn't. I haven't made any phone calls on this phone today"

First time I've seen that. "spoofing" isn't it?

No calls from the Chinese Consulate! That said, I've had calls in the past where the caller asks for "Robert" and then I tell them they have the wrong answer. The reply comes back "Well, maybe YOU can help me!" and that's when they go into a sales pitch to donate to some policeman's charity or other BS cause. The first occurrence I let the guy talk for about a minute the politely declined. The next time I started hanging up. I once met a guy who used to work in cold call sales so I asked him what it's like to get nasty responses and hung up on so much. He told me that he'd typically get a few sales out of every hundred or so calls he'd dial. Tough way to make a living, huh? By the way, he's one of the most cynical people I've ever met.

Worst job I ever had (have had so far?) was the -maybe- two weeks I spent as a telemarketer making cold calls.

I do not enjoy rejection.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Yes! I got two such voicemails earlier this week. I have a coworker whose native language is Chinese, so he was able to interpret them for me, and they match what the article says about a package needing to be picked up and to press a number for more info. Thanks for the article; I've passed it along to my coworker.

For a feel-good scammer story that might make you tear up with warm-fuzzies, click here:

For a feel-good scammer story that might make you tear up with uncontrollable laughter, click here:

P-P-P-Powerbook! (caution, some profanity)

One way to have fun with the calls that actually have people is the use of "arm pit farts." Be talking with them as if you are truly listening and every so often say, hold on just a second, put the phone down and let one rip. Then come back on the phone and say they can continue. Of course you can also do it while they are talking. Makes for lots of fun, before you hang up on them.

I'm lucky, my personal gmail and yahoo accounts get zero,....yes zero, absolutely no spam emails, nothing, zilch. The only emails I get is what I actually sign up for.

On the other hand, my work email (major defense contractor), I get plenty of spam that makes it passed the filters. We have a little phish icon that you click once that "suspicious" email arrives,...highlight it, then click the phish, away it goes to the NOSC for evaluation.

Worst job I ever had (have had so far?) was the -maybe- two weeks I spent as a telemarketer making cold calls.

Sometime back in the late '80's I was in a rush to go run errands. The phone rings so I answer it and it's a telemarketer. I listened for a few seconds then hung up on him. He immediately called back so lifted the receiver and hung up on him again. Again he calls back and I repeated the action and left. That started an almost two year series of harassing phone calls at all hours of the day and especially late night. This was before caller ID but I eventually filed a complaint with the phone company and it stopped.

I do not enjoy rejection.

Really? Does that mean you didn't date much? :/

• 2 weeks later...

Well, at least this one isn't business related.....

"Greetings,

With your permission I want to present to you my sincere initiatives and proposals. I got your email contact as I was in serious search of a honest and trust worthy person in your country.

In the spirit of faith, solidarity, humanity and common sense appeal to your wisdom and kindness as a human of this planet with the request friendship sustains me if you consider setting up a foundation for social welfare with $6.650,000.00 (Six million six hundred and fifty thousand united state dollars) inherited from my late husband who was an industrialist. I decided to donate these funds because I have no child and my days are numbered according to my physician who always examines my health because I was diagnosed by serious lung and breast cancer and will be going for my third surgical operation soon, I want you to use these funds nationally and internationally to people without hope, against which we must not be careless.

I am Mrs. Julieth Mane Aged 62 years from USA, currently reside here in Côte d'Ivoire, and childless, always cheerful with a desire to do good and give those who need help. The principles which I rely in life are faith, humanity, solidarity, respect and trust. Please always put me in your daily prayers so that God will grant more life to my living and confirm these funds into your hand.

I'm hoping to read a positive mail from you soon, but your delays in replying to this message will create an avenue of searching for a serious person that will understand the nature of my health situation and handle this transaction without any delay.

I am urgently expecting your kind acceptance reply for more details.

Remain blessed with your family.

Best Regards

Mrs. Julieth Mane."

• 2 weeks later...

Gents,

I'm giving you this wonderful opportunity to engage in in an important business discussion!!! Feel free to contact this important man!

"hi,

Please, get back to me for an important business discussion. I wish to invest in your country. I wait for your response.

please contact me on this Email (emmanuelibe604@yahoo.com)

Dr. Emmanuel"

I once got a telemarketer to call me an a55hat and hang up on me. I WIN!

I had one tell me FU last week. Nothing is wrong with your current credit card, press 1 now for a lower rate"

After about ten minutes he figured out I was pulling his leg with my fake accent and insisting that I needed a new card after my bankruptcy became final last week.

My email provider, pobox.com, has really good spam filtering, so I don't see any phishing attacks to speak of. On the landline, I switched the answering machine to pick up after three rings, and I never answer the phone unless the caller ID shows someone I know. Hardly anybody leaves a message. Similarly, on my cell, unless I'm expecting a call, any unknown number gets sent straight to VM. The calls are still annoying, though.