Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1020416 - 10/07/18 04:40 PM Re: Rubber grip replacement [Re: joeb]  
Selden Offline
Selden  Offline

Atlanta, GA
Revisiting an old topic... The F800 forum doesn't seem to have as many DIYers as BMWSportTouring, so I'm asking here. On an F-bike (maybe newer R-bikes, I don't know) the entire grip assembly appears to be a bolt-on affair. I don't like the profile or hardness of the stock grips, and I'm thinking of replacing with something softer. Does the same procedure (carefully slice, then peel old grip without cutting completely through) apply for an F-bike?

[Linked Image]

Don't fix it if it ain't broke, don't break it if you can't fix it.
#1020420 - 10/07/18 06:51 PM Re: Rubber grip replacement [Re: Selden]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by Selden
Revisiting an old topic... The F800 forum doesn't seem to have as many DIYers as BMWSportTouring, so I'm asking here. On an F-bike (maybe newer R-bikes, I don't know) the entire grip assembly appears to be a bolt-on affair. I don't like the profile or hardness of the stock grips, and I'm thinking of replacing with something softer. Does the same procedure (carefully slice, then peel old grip without cutting completely through) apply for an F-bike?

Afternoon Selden

If you don't like the stock grip you might first try either a full Grip-Puppy or a partial Grip-Puppy. You can cut a stock Grip-Puppy in half or even use a quarter then install with the tapered end towards mid grip (I do the 1/4 grip-puppy on some of my bikes that I don't like the stock grips &, for me, it really improves the hand fit & comfort.

If your 800 doesn't have heated grips then you should be able to get the stock grips off without cutting. You should be able to work a long small diameter screwdriver between the grip rubber & inner plastic sleeve then work it around to break the glue free (might also need to use a little WD-40). I usually use compressed air to blow the grip glue interface free once I get a spot opened up using a screwdriver.

At least try removing the stock grips without cutting as the stock rubbers are not available from BMW (at least they weren't anyhow) without buying the entire inner tube with outer rubber already on it (expensive).

You can remove the entire throttle twist grip tube with little effort then you can work on it on the bench (or soak in hot water).

The clutch side tube is also removable but you first need to unplug then remove the entire switch assembly from the bar then once the tube/switch is removed unclip the outer tube from the switch assembly.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1020443 - 10/08/18 02:13 AM Re: Rubber grip replacement [Re: joeb]  
Skywagon Offline
Skywagon  Offline

Bellaire Texas
Grip puppies will the best $10 you will spend on the RT. Even if you replace the grips...get some. They are great for reducing vibration and making the grip big enough. Those skinny arse grips on the bikes drive me crazy. Like playing tennis with a stock grip. The heater works through them just fine. In my opinion it works better as it seems to hold the heat longer.

David
RT WET
#1020569 - 10/09/18 09:01 PM Re: Rubber grip replacement [Re: joeb]  
Selden Offline
Selden  Offline

Atlanta, GA
Following SoCalbmr's suggestion, my first attempt is to wrap the grips with some self-fusing silicone rubber tape that was left over from re-wrapping the wiring harness several years ago. Too soon to tell. Plan B is some grip covers, probably these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WJAH5M/

Don't fix it if it ain't broke, don't break it if you can't fix it.
#1020676 - 10/11/18 04:00 AM Re: Rubber grip replacement [Re: joeb]  
Claudio Offline
Claudio  Offline

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Originally Posted by joeb
Howdy all.
If not, is there a better source for grips ? Thanks much.

I replaced mine with these because I liked the original stock: https://www.twistedthrottle.com/ari...riginal-heated-grips-26mm-inner-diameter . (this retail says no longer available but you might find them elsewhere)

A careful cut/peel surgery is used to get the old ones off. I then use hairspray as a lube / light tack to put the new ones on.

Silver 2003 R1150RT, BMW MOA Member
#1020683 - 10/11/18 11:35 AM Re: Rubber grip replacement [Re: Claudio]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by Claudio
Originally Posted by joeb
Howdy all.
If not, is there a better source for grips ? Thanks much.

I replaced mine with these because I liked the original stock: https://www.twistedthrottle.com/ari...riginal-heated-grips-26mm-inner-diameter . (this retail says no longer available but you might find them elsewhere)

A careful cut/peel surgery is used to get the old ones off. I then use hairspray as a lube / light tack to put the new ones on.

Morning Claudio

You are responding to a post that is almost a year & a half old on an 1150RT. (this is why I don't like hijacked threads)-- The grips that you linked to are for the 1100/1150 boxer bikes.

From Selden's hijack post down (about 4 days old) we are responding on a BMW F800 bike (parallel twin engine chain drive bike) different animal with most not having heated grips.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1020739 - 10/12/18 03:54 AM Re: Rubber grip replacement [Re: dirtrider]  
Claudio Offline
Claudio  Offline

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Originally Posted by dirtrider
[quote=Claudio][quote=joeb]

From Selden's hijack post down (about 4 days old) we are responding on a BMW F800 bike (parallel twin engine chain drive bike) different animal with most not having heated grips.

I definitely missed that detail but luckily I've done the same on our 800's.
The same brand (Ariete) makes a replacement grip for the F800 with or without heated grips. I've done the same procedure with these : https://advdepot.com/products/ariete-replacement-hand-grips-for-bmw-heated-grip-handles-2

Silver 2003 R1150RT, BMW MOA Member
#1020792 - 10/13/18 01:47 AM Re: Rubber grip replacement [Re: joeb]  
Keith_A Offline
Newer Member
Keith_A  Offline
Newer Member

Washington State, USA
I've used "Grab On" grip covers (model MC402) on both my RT and R1100S. They fit over the existing heated grips. They are made out of EPDM foam. I really like them.

Keith

Bikes: R1150RT-P (2005) & R1100S (2004)
Page 2 of 2 1 2