IGNORED

Front wheel bearing check?

Dave P

96 1100RT, how would I check for front wheel bearing health? Is it a simple 12:00, 6:00 push and pull, look for play? 120k miles (20k by me). PO did a lot of good servicing on the bike, but I have no idea if the wheel bearings have ever been replaced. Would be a decent wintertime project...

Thanks, Dave

I've always just taken the wheel of, stuck my finger in the hole, and rotated it back and forth. As long as it turns freely and doesn't feel "grindy" it's good-to-go.

I use a procedure similar to Jim Moore's, but I like to stick a finger in each bearing, pick up the wheel, and then give it a spin while I hold the wheel in the air. The weight of the wheel and tire along with the multiple full rotations will give you a little better feel for their condition.

Anyone know if the WB's are available aftermarket (and where)?

I noticed a sound when leaning that might be bearing or more likely tire tread noise bouncing up behind the windshield. But if the bearings aren't ridiculous I might change mine at 45K.

thanks

Anyone know if the WB's are available aftermarket (and where)?

I noticed a sound when leaning that might be bearing or more likely tire tread noise bouncing up behind the windshield. But if the bearings aren't ridiculous I might change mine at 45K.

thanks

As an FYI, I've ridden four different oilheads to 160K miles,129K miles, 99K miles, and 85K miles. None of them needed wheel bearings.

The bearings have different colored shielding so I suspect they're different. Very un-German like to make it easy and use the sam bearing.

Hey would you believe I lived in Skan. until 3 years ago?.

Good evening Dave,

There are 2 different bearings in the front wheel of the R1100rt. Check the micro fich and there will be a size for each bearing. Then you should have no issue finding aftermarket bearings for your bike, Good Luck and remember you will have to heat the hub to get the bearing out.

nj- ok i'll check it out. thanks. i watched a good tube on replacing fronts, it looked like one bearing was wider than the other. (?)

Dave- small world! been up here 20 years now. work at brownie design on route 20, 1 mile east of downtown. Dave P

while riding the bike , often any frightening noises one hears are the brake rotors dancing around on the worn bobbins .

even THAT takes a long time before it needs to be addressed .